Winnsboro vs. Gladewater

chevyman

Here we go boys. 3rd round rematch with our district mate. Playing on thanksgiving week is extremely special and for this team to be in that position right now is incredible. Looking forward to a great matchup with GW. The Bears are a totally different team than when we played a few weeks ago and will present many challenges. The Raiders are playing very well right now and are riding a wave of momentum and confidence from the last 3 weeks. Gonna be fun

Winny I’ve been a big fan of y’all since we played! Sorry we have to be enemies this week, but I promise if you guys move on I will be there to root you on!!!! More then anything it’ll be fun to be able to talk football and have that mutual respect between the two programs. 

28 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

Winny I’ve been a big fan of y’all since we played! Sorry we have to be enemies this week, but I promise if you guys move on I will be there to root you on!!!! More then anything it’ll be fun to be able to talk football and have that mutual respect between the two programs. 

It definitely will be all in fun. Ton of respect for you guys no doubt. I have to say I'm not sure you could even put any stock at all in that first meeting from the standpoint of preparation for Winny. Absolutely totally different team you guys are now. Raiders will need to take advantage of every opportunity available over the break the get ready for the Bears

3 minutes ago, chevyman said:

It definitely will be all in fun. Ton of respect for you guys no doubt. I have to say I'm not sure you could even put any stock at all in that first meeting from the standpoint of preparation for Winny. Absolutely totally different team you guys are now. Raiders will need to take advantage of every opportunity available over the break the get ready for the Bears

Let’s not kid ourselves. You guys are well improved from that matchup as well and it was a CLOSE game. We have a ton of respect for you guys. Hope we have the chance to watch another classic. 

3 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

Let’s not kid ourselves. You guys are well improved from that matchup as well and it was a CLOSE game. We have a ton of respect for you guys. Hope we have the chance to watch another classic. 

Of course theres no doubt we have just gotten better and better and are improving every game. We will have to continue to play with that confidence that has sparked us to this position

5 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Just saw the stats for Carter last night. Unreal. Also 72 points. That's incredible. You guys are going to be a "bear" to deal with.  

Both teams have improved greatly since the first meeting. Carter was injured the first time our teams played and Allen had to step up. We should have all our kids on the field this time. Our offense really started to click when several position changes were made. I can’t decide if I expect this to be low scoring or not but I know it won’t be 16-12 again lol. 

7 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Both teams have improved greatly since the first meeting. Carter was injured the first time our teams played and Allen had to step up. We should have all our kids on the field this time. Our offense really started to click when several position changes were made. I can’t decide if I expect this to be low scoring or not but I know it won’t be 16-12 again lol. 

I think that will be the most difficult thing for us this week, preparing for a team that we have played but in reality its like it will be a totally new opponent. I also don't think it will be that again either. I will say despite the turnovers that we had, you guys did as good of a job as anyone slowing us down. We have in my opinion improved even more on offense and are executing at a high level right now. As has been the case for a while now, it will come down to our defense.

Wonder who is home? I know it won't matter cause Winny is still going to wear red on red regardless. Just watched some film from GW/VA last night, man the Bears were running through them like melted butter. Carter looked very explosive as well as 23. Focusing on those guys too much will open up the play action pass which GW is so good at. It is going to be so crucial for the Raiders to somehow keep the run game in check as best they can cause if they are having success there, it will make it that much more difficult to defend them.

5 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Wonder who is home? I know it won't matter cause Winny is still going to wear red on red regardless. Just watched some film from GW/VA last night, man the Bears were running through them like melted butter. Carter looked very explosive as well as 23. Focusing on those guys too much will open up the play action pass which GW is so good at. It is going to be so crucial for the Raiders to somehow keep the run game in check as best they can cause if they are having success there, it will make it that much more difficult to defend them.

Looking at what I could of Winny last night they had their way with Madison at the LOS. 

Now that we have DJ at WR as well as a lot of Robby we have the ability to force teams to pick their poison. Are you going to play one on one with them? Because they have the ability to make you pay quick but if you choose to get help then GW can really get going on the ground. 

Key for Winny will be to continue to do what they do best. Their offense is their best defense so to speak. It can get frustrating when you only get 1 maybe 2 drives a quarter. 

4 minutes ago, BearFan13 said:

Looking at what I could of Winny last night they had their way with Madison at the LOS. 

Now that we have DJ at WR as well as a lot of Robby we have the ability to force teams to pick their poison. Are you going to play one on one with them? Because they have the ability to make you pay quick but if you choose to get help then GW can really get going on the ground. 

Key for Winny will be to continue to do what they do best. Their offense is their best defense so to speak. It can get frustrating when you only get 1 maybe 2 drives a quarter. 

I think that is an excellent question. GW forces you to play more in the box with their ability to run therefore leading to those outside guys potentially being on an island. The key will be whether or not Winny chooses to give more help to the outside for those receivers therefore leading to easier running lanes. Interesting dilemma it provides. I know that we will have an excellent gameplan as we have every game so it will be very exciting to watch. Offensively the Raiders will just need to continue to do what they do. Stay ahead of the chains. Sustain drives. Take care of the ball. Score when the opportunity is given. 

31 minutes ago, TheHaireBeatTheTortoise said:

Yea people say that but I don’t remember ever losing to a team we already beat

I‘ve never understood it either. Obviously Winny and GW are pretty evenly matched, but in a scenario where a team mollywhops some one then how would it be difficult to win when matched up again? Lol.

I don’t think either coach puts much stock in the film from the last meeting. I honestly don’t. I think you’ll have better success studying film the last few weeks. 

4 hours ago, BearFan13 said:

I agree, DM played with 9 in the box mostly. 1st half was 5 dl, 4 lb. 2nd half switched to 4-4. They still couldn't stop the run. I don't remember any completed passes by winnsboro, and only 1 or 2 attempts. Gotta hand DM credit. We hit em in the mouth and they never gave up or laid down. 

Does GW run the spread? 

4 minutes ago, 1mangang said:

I agree, DM played with 9 in the box mostly. 1st half was 5 dl, 4 lb. 2nd half switched to 4-4. They still couldn't stop the run. I don't remember any completed passes by winnsboro, and only 1 or 2 attempts. Gotta hand DM credit. We hit em in the mouth and they never gave up or laid down. 

Does GW run the spread? 

Far from it lol. Pro I but this year have the skill position players to really run it effective. Play calling depends on what the defense wants to attempt to slow down. Stack the box and we become a pass heavy team leave the safeties up and we are content with 4 yards a pop with the FB dive and a healthy dose of Eligia Carter at the RB position. I think this has the makings of a great game just like last time. 

2 hours ago, BearFan13 said:

I don’t think either coach puts much stock in the film from the last meeting. I honestly don’t. I think you’ll have better success studying film the last few weeks. 

IMO, first time around film is more important than recent weeks. Not saying recent isn’t important.