2019 3A-D1 Playoffs

88YoePride

GV here. Real worried about Troy run game. GV has two 6’8” defensive ends and hoping they can contain no. 21 and we have seen some good backs with Malakoff and East Chambers but this guy can score everytime he gets the ball   past line of scrimmage. Troy is the real deal. 

Guest Tiger03lb
7 hours ago, hornsandowls said:

GV here. Real worried about Troy run game. GV has two 6’8” defensive ends and hoping they can contain no. 21 and we have seen some good backs with Malakoff and East Chambers but this guy can score everytime he gets the ball   past line of scrimmage. Troy is the real deal. 

I think as long as your offense is clicking and keeps doing their thing, GV doesn't have a problem. Imo, only way GV can get beat is by themselves. 

1 hour ago, Tiger03lb said:

I think as long as your offense is clicking and keeps doing their thing, GV doesn't have a problem. Imo, only way GV can get beat is by themselves. 

You really think they are that much better than everyone else. Wasn’t the state game close last year ?  Is everyone else left that much worse than Malakoff was last year ?

Guest Tiger03lb
4 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

You really think they are that much better than everyone else. Wasn’t the state game close last year ?  Is everyone else left that much worse than Malakoff was last year ?

Alright, reason why I said this, sorry if this is long but I can't put this into a short paragraph.

That lost to Whitney woke GV up and they usually flip a switch when the playoffs start too. They are getting key players back from injury as well. #65 is a big key piece to both sides of the ball that has came back.

To answer your questions, 

Nobody is here by chance and every team is good. GV has been playing mistake free football since the playoffs have started and when they start playing that, you best have your A game, cause they will not let up. Koff know this from playing them 3 times in the past 2 seasons. If you really look at GV, they are a splitting image of koff. Honestly the only teams that can match them to play right now is GW, PP, I wouldn't count Brock out yet. Not because of their name alone but they are playing with heart and those coaches got them believing they can come into the game and pull out a win. I'm not a Brock fan myself but you can't over look that. The only thing they got against them is youth in players. GV has been in a gauntlet of a playoff run with Rdale, EC, and Yoe. I've seen all 3 play and they are very good teams. 

Now is GV beatable yes. Koff almost proved that this year but turnovers killed us. As I said earlier, you have to play mistake free football when you play them. But the key is you will have to play a balance offense to beat them as well. Trying to compare a koff team from last year to teams this year that are still in it, imo doesn't do it justice. Each team is different. 

Yes the state game was close last year until again we made turnovers mid/late game and GV took advantage of them. Biggest one was when the ball touch the toe on that punt return and GV got it back.

I do wish everyone that's still in it good luck. GWBear01, I'm pulling for you guys and really do hope you guy make to state. I've thought from the beginning of the season it would be us or GW that would make it out of region 2. 

57 minutes ago, Tiger03lb said:

Alright, reason why I said this, sorry if this is long but I can't put this into a short paragraph.

That lost to Whitney woke GV up and they usually flip a switch when the playoffs start too. They are getting key players back from injury as well. #65 is a big key piece to both sides of the ball that has came back.

Nobody is here by chance and every team is good. GV has been playing mistake free football since the playoffs have started and when they start playing that, you best have your A game, cause they will not let up. Koff know this from playing them 3 times in the past 2 seasons. If you really look at GV, they are a splitting image of koff. Honestly the only teams that can match them to play right now is GW, PP, I wouldn't count Brock out yet. Not because of their name alone but they are playing with heart and those coaches got them believing they can come into the game and pull out a win. I'm not a Brock fan myself but you can't over look that. The only thing they got against them is youth in players. GV has been in a gauntlet of a playoff run with Rdale, EC, and Yoe. I've seen all 3 play and they are very good teams. 

Now is GV beatable yes. Koff almost proved that this year but turnovers killed us. As I said earlier, you have to play mistake free football when you play them. But the key is you will have to play a balance offense to beat them as well. Trying to compare a koff team from last year to teams this year that are still in it, imo doesn't do it justice. Each team is different. 

Yes the state game was close last year until again we made turnovers mid/late game and GV took advantage of them. Biggest one was when the ball touch the toe on that punt return and GV got it back.

I do wish everyone that's still in it good luck. GWBear01, I'm pulling for you guys and really do hope you guy make to state. I've thought from the beginning of the season it would be us or GW that would make it out of region 2. 

Bud let it go. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Guest Tiger03lb
28 minutes ago, stitch said:

Bud let it go. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Go tell your buddy kellyleak we miss him. He asked my opinion I gave it. What do I need to let go? 

Thanks, I, for one, always respect your opinion.

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

Thanks, I, for one, always respect your opinion.

27 minutes ago, GWBears01 said:

Same here and I agree that it will take a perfect game to knock off the defending champs but there are some talented teams left that capable of putting a game together to do it !

You guys may very well be able to do it. I'll be there on Friday watching. 

ThrowFar60, Gv1965 halfback here. I follow GV very closely and have watched your games on Nfhs as much as I could and I think this game is a tossup. Troy is an exceptional team, well coached and disciplined. GV will have to play their best game to move on in my opinion. We will know soon...

2 hours ago, hornsandowls said:

ThrowFar60, Gv1965 halfback here. I follow GV very closely and have watched your games on Nfhs as much as I could and I think this game is a tossup. Troy is an exceptional team, well coached and disciplined. GV will have to play their best game to move on in my opinion. We will know soon...

I just believe the tables are turned in this matchup.  Troy will have to play a complete game and generate a couple of turnovers to have a shot.  Troy is an excellent team, and beat Cameron and Rockdale for a reason, but if Grandview is on their game it will be tough.  

1 hour ago, Yoe09 said:

I just believe the tables are turned in this matchup.  Troy will have to play a complete game and generate a couple of turnovers to have a shot.  Troy is an excellent team, and beat Cameron and Rockdale for a reason, but if Grandview is on their game it will be tough.  

Again, Troy fan here, but I agree. I would love for them to pull it out, but unfortunately Whitney beating GV in the regular season ruined any chance the rest of the state had to sneak up on them.

I will say Troys greatest strength is they play up to the talent of their opponents (see Rockdale and Yoe) who I believe were both more talented than Troy.....but having said that, GV is going to be tough to play up to.

10 hours ago, ThrowFar60 said:

Again, Troy fan here, but I agree. I would love for them to pull it out, but unfortunately Whitney beating GV in the regular season ruined any chance the rest of the state had to sneak up on them.

I will say Troys greatest strength is they play up to the talent of their opponents (see Rockdale and Yoe) who I believe were both more talented than Troy.....but having said that, GV is going to be tough to play up to.

I agree, it's gonna take a gutsy performance from the Trojans, but I honestly think that they are up for the challenge and have a better shot than many are saying.

They've gotta set the tone early, similar to how they did with Crockett, gotta win the battle in the trenches and stay locked in.  I think they have just enough talent and grit to pull it off.  Wishing them the best.

I don’t see Troy controlling the los. They definitely have a chance if they could, but it’s just not going to happen. GV is physical and big up front. On another note, GV qb will have plenty of time to find an open receiver. Again GV controlling the los will keep our backs busy throughout the game. GV should be up by 14 or 21 after the first half.

Heck the flu is hitting Texas bad now.  It very well could be a factor in the playoff.  Many years ago I saw a theme go into the Qtr Final 7 starters short. Their skill players we fin but their O line only had one starter left a nd two line backers were.  Change the whole complexion of the playoff going into the semis.  Just saying things can happen no one figures on

21 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

So, we've got Brock vs Pottsboro and Grandview vs Columbus. 

Pottsboro blew out Gladewater, but I hear Gladewater kinda beat themselves in that game. I'm calling Brock vs Grandview in Dallas. 

Pottsboro did not blow out gladewater. Gladewater went for 2 and didnt get it they lost 35 to 34... Give me Pottsboro vs Grandview.... Region 2 and 3 are head and shoulders above reg 1 and 4

Guest Tiger03lb
49 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

So, we've got Brock vs Pottsboro and Grandview vs Columbus. 

Pottsboro blew out Gladewater, but I hear Gladewater kinda beat themselves in that game. I'm calling Brock vs Grandview in Dallas. 

Wasn't a blow out. 35-34 Lost in double overtime went for it on 2 point conversion and did not connect on pass. GW did hurt themselves with penalties and turnovers but came back towards the end and tied it. 

I have no idea who will win out of brock/Pottsboro. But will agree that GV will be back to state again. 

Guest Tiger03lb
28 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Pottsboro did not blow out gladewater. Gladewater went for 2 and didnt get it they lost 35 to 34... Give me Pottsboro vs Grandview.... Region 2 and 3 are head and shoulders above reg 1 and 4

I wouldn't count brock out yet. 

Guest Tiger03lb
27 minutes ago, wtxfootball said:

Brock is pretty good. I would say there isnt too much change from brock this year and last year. You know what you will get with brock. Good defense, and great execution in all phases. 

Is their o-line the same size as last year? They had some big boys. I know most, if all of them graduated. 

Is their o-line the same size as last year? They had some big boys. I know most, if all of them graduated. 

No those brothers were huge. These guys get the job done though. Their RB is their best back since their really good RB back in 2015. 

21 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Wasn't a blow out. 35-34 Lost in double overtime went for it on 2 point conversion and did not connect on pass. GW did hurt themselves with penalties and turnovers but came back towards the end and tied it. 

I have no idea who will win out of brock/Pottsboro. But will agree that GV will be back to state again. 

That's right, my bad. Was keeping my eye on and reporting on multiple games in multiple forums. I did hear that Gladewater was kinda shooting themselves in the foot all night...