2019 3A-D1 Playoffs

88YoePride

Unless there is a sleeper out there that surprises everyone like Mineola did a few years ago, it’s gonna be hard to overthrow Grandview. I’m not saying they’re unbeatable but you’d better play mistake free ball if you’re going to take this team. I honestly thought Cameron’s defense was up to the task but soon found out this GV team exposed every mistake we made.

I’ll be pulling for district 10 Troy next week but most likely it will be what 99 said earlier. GV v GW in finals.

BTW-I need therapy after after yesterday. Biggest second half beat down in playoffs for Yoe since Brock in 2015. Or at least it felt that way. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoeHigh said:

Unless there is a sleeper out there that surprises everyone like Mineola did a few years ago, it’s gonna be hard to overthrow Grandview. I’m not saying they’re unbeatable but you’d better play mistake free ball if you’re going to take this team. I honestly thought Cameron’s defense was up to the task but soon found out this GV team exposed every mistake we made.

I’ll be pulling for district 10 Troy next week but most likely it will be what 99 said earlier. GV v GW in finals.

BTW-I need therapy after after yesterday. Biggest second half beat down in playoffs for Yoe since Brock in 2015. Or at least it felt that way. 😀

With regards to good Cameron teams, this was definitely the biggest beat down we've had, at least since being in this classification.  Really disappointing considering Cameron was actually favored in all the power polls.  I think everyone expected a good game, and it really wasn't.  

Grandview will be favored over Troy and certainly favored heavily over Columbus/Hallettsville.  Now, on the other side I would not be surprised to see any of the four remaining teams in Arlington.  

2 hours ago, YoeHigh said:

Yeah, that was the worst game I've seen Yoe play since that tragedy of errors against China Spring a few years back. 

The Brock game... I can't really fault our boys for that. Granted, you should always be ready to overcome any setback, but Traion really was a special kid, not just football player. I was in the tunnel when the boys were coming back out of the locker room - They knew his injury was bad and it shook them that it coukd happen to him of all people. 

2 hours ago, Yoe09 said:

With regards to good Cameron teams, this was definitely the biggest beat down we've had, at least since being in this classification.  Really disappointing considering Cameron was actually favored in all the power polls.  I think everyone expected a good game, and it really wasn't.  

Grandview will be favored over Troy and certainly favored heavily over Columbus/Hallettsville.  Now, on the other side I would not be surprised to see any of the four remaining teams in Arlington.  

There has been a number of first since this Yoemen coaching staff has taken over.    There's nothing Yoe atheletes and fans can do but endure what has been dealt.

#21 Troy's fine running back left everything on the field against Whitney.  He was bending over and on a knee most of the night.  Most of us there believe he was under the weather.   What a gutsy effort by that young man.

Troy absolutely has no passing game that would give Grandview any worries at all.  Grandview will load up to stop #21 and make him beat them.  The Zebras will move up and down the field at will with their passing game and the running of their QB. 

Looks to me Grandview  will have a number of contributing players returning next season.

3 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

There has been a number of first since this Yoemen coaching staff has taken over.    There's nothing Yoe atheletes and fans can do but endure what has been dealt.

#21 Troy's fine running back left everything on the field against Whitney.  He was bending over and on a knee most of the night.  Most of us there believe he was under the weather.   What a gutsy effort by that young man.

Troy absolutely has no passing game that would give Grandview any worries at all.  Grandview will load up to stop #21 and make him beat them.  The Zebras will move up and down the field at will with their passing game and the running of their QB. 

Looks to me Grandview  will have a number of contributing players returning next season.

Most of the Oline, QB and a couple of receivers return.

Defense is where it could hurt the most...both DBs, one safety, three LBers, and 2 dlineman. This is pretty close might be off one or two

The players returning are ballers.  They also had a lot of backups get playing time in most games. 

One more year for #3...with him there..anything is possible. 

11 hours ago, Zebrafan93 said:

Most of the Oline, QB and a couple of receivers return.

Defense is where it could hurt the most...both DBs, one safety, three LBers, and 2 dlineman. This is pretty close might be off one or two

The players returning are ballers.  They also had a lot of backups get playing time in most games. 

One more year for #3...with him there..anything is possible. 

Did not realize he is just a JR (#3) wow!

1 hour ago, hornsandowls said:

How does Troy running back no 21 compare to the Dubose kid from Yoe? He was a stud. 

There is no comparison. The kid from Troy is not large.  He has great vision, very quick, strong for his size and can run thru a key hole.  Just a junior.  Dubose was good but that's as far as it goes.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:00 PM, 88YoePride said:

Yeah, that was the worst game I've seen Yoe play since that tragedy of errors against China Spring a few years back. 

The Brock game... I can't really fault our boys for that. Granted, you should always be ready to overcome any setback, but Traion really was a special kid, not just football player. I was in the tunnel when the boys were coming back out of the locker room - They knew his injury was bad and it shook them that it coukd happen to him of all people. 

I hear what you are saying about the injury but Yoe couldn’t stop Brocks running game in the 2nd half. They were blowing the Yoemen off the line of scrimmage. With that said I still think Yoe would have won if he hadn’t went down. 

1 hour ago, player73 said:

I hear what you are saying about the injury but Yoe couldn’t stop Brocks running game in the 2nd half. They were blowing the Yoemen off the line of scrimmage. With that said I still think Yoe would have won if he hadn’t went down. 

Yoe's D was on Brock's *** in the first half. It wasn't just the offense eating them up. After Traion's injury, their spirit was just gone. 

1 hour ago, Zebrafan93 said:

He reminds me of the two backs from EC more

Can't speak to that. All I know was that all the damage he did to us was if he got past the line. Which he did, often. But when our D blew up their line and got in the backfield, they hogtied him every time. 

2 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Can't speak to that. All I know was that all the damage he did to us was if he got past the line. Which he did, often. But when our D blew up their line and got in the backfield, they hogtied him every time. 

I just watched y’alls game and noticed that...it didn’t help y’all spotting them 17 points at the beginning....:)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

There is no comparison. The kid from Troy is not large.  He has great vision, very quick, strong for his size and can run thru a key hole.  Just a junior.  Dubose was good but that's as far as it goes.

If #21 is even or a step ahead, he will win most of the time. He is very allusive and strong. If you're going to stop him, you need to get him early before he picks a hole and explodes.

The Jones kid is also no slouch. Sneaky fast.

43 minutes ago, CenTexFootballFan19 said:

People are sleeping on Troy.  They pulled out a gutsy win against a dangerous Whitney squad.  I think it showed that they can indeed display defensive grit against a high powered offense.

Looking forward to a great game in Waco this Friday.

Whitney offense in the playoffs seemed totally different according to their faithful. Taking the ball out of # 6 hands well .......  and putting him  at WR makes no sense after watching him play QB for four years. Still haven’t heard for sure why he went down on the apparent pic 6. Troy secondary has lots of holes in it and # 3 from Grandview and his WR’s will find them. IMO , the Troy D cannot shut down the Zebras O. Troy will have to put up at least 35 or maybe more to have a chance to win. Don’t get me wrong Troy has a good team and deserves to be where they are but they are coming up the best team they will or have faced all year. 

5 hours ago, player73 said:

Whitney offense in the playoffs seemed totally different according to their faithful. Taking the ball out of # 6 hands well .......  and putting him  at WR makes no sense after watching him play QB for four years. Still haven’t heard for sure why he went down on the apparent pic 6. Troy secondary has lots of holes in it and # 3 from Grandview and his WR’s will find them. IMO , the Troy D cannot shut down the Zebras O. Troy will have to put up at least 35 or maybe more to have a chance to win. Don’t get me wrong Troy has a good team and deserves to be where they are but they are coming up the best team they will or have faced all year. 

Not sure why they switched Wilson to WR, but the Troy corners were playing the pass well and putting a ton of pressure on the QB.

On the pick 6 play, it seemed like either there was an inadvertent whistle (there was an obvious missed illegal contact penalty that should have been called on Whitney that play for blindsiding #42 from behind) or he was just extremely gassed, (having been running down Hrbacek on defense and scrambling constantly on offense).

No doubt this will be a tough test for the Trojans with Grandview's pedigree.  That said, having watched Troy multiple times this year, they've got a few more tricks up their sleeve than many believe.  #21 is an exceptional back for sure, but they also have two more very solid backs, can pass the ball better than people give them credit for and do have the ability to lock in on defense, as the last game showed.  As for the secondary, they pass the eye test for being fundamentally sound and having adequate athleticism.  Just can not have any mental lapses against this formidable Zebra team.

Troy alum here

If I were betting, I would have the game as Grandview -14.5. Troy can win, but it will need to steal a few possessions from the Zebras and play error free ball with the clock draining due to Troy’s run game.

This isn’t the same GV team that lost to Whitney unfortunately 

8 hours ago, player73 said:

Everyone in our area was wondering why they removed #6 Wilson from the QB position.   The initial drive for Whitney, Troy had issues containing him and the Wildcats moved easily down the field.  Don't understand coaches sometimes they try to over think things. 

As far as the interception goes #6 had a pick 6 if he continued on down the field.  I think he saw the flags being thrown behind him and he thought there had been a block in the back foul so he just slid to a stop. 

#21 Troy's talented running back was'nt even at 100% against Whitney.  The boy either had a virus or the flu.  He gave everything he had. 

1 hour ago, ThrowFar60 said:

Troy alum here

If I were betting, I would have the game as Grandview -14.5. Troy can win, but it will need to steal a few possessions from the Zebras and play error free ball with the clock draining due to Troy’s run game.

This isn’t the same GV team that lost to Whitney unfortunately 

I agree with everything you said.  Grandview is going to be a couple TD favorite.  Troy is going to have to win the battle up front on both sides of the ball, chew clock and score.  Unlike Cameron and Rockdale, you will also need to win the turnover battle.  

On 11/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, yoenation79 said:

Never know in Cameron. They let go of the  Administrator  that hired Coach Tommy,  There is always principal jobs open in Cameron. It will make little difference  though, insiders say they will  hire the Offensive Coordinator.  maybe a house cleaning in Cameron is in order. It is sad to waste talent, don't always come along in high school.  I think Yoe fans have to realize Coach and his staff are  performing to the best of their abilities. It is always a  #### shoot when you hire a new coach, it can fall either way. Coach Tommy at least made the playoffs. A rebuild or reload for Yoe next season.