Argyle(12-0) vs Brownwood(11-1) Friday 1:30 pm at McLane Stadium in Waco

regaleagle

Regionals  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2019 at 07:30 PM

An afternoon game on Thanksgiving weekend in Waco.....but the forecast says mild but probably rain.  Brownwood will be on the home side of the stadium.  Should be a pretty good game, but if it's raining I'm pretty sure that will take away from the offensive output of Argyle.  Not sure about how much Brownwood relies on it's passing game, but I'm gonna look up their stats and list them in the thread.

From the Waco Accuweather it says scattered showers on Friday afternoon with temps in the mid-70's.  Three days from now it might read differently......but the wind will be strong @ 18 mph and gusting to 24 mph. That's some pretty strong wind.......so field position will become very important.  

Statiscally......Brownwood keeps it fairly balanced offensively also.  Their Qb #6 Drew Huff(6-1/190/Sr.) has thrown for right at 2000 yds in 12 games this season, completing 101 passes on 160 attempts for a 63% completion percentage......which is considered very good. He has thrown 17 TD passes.  Huff will also keep it and run out of the spread.....he's rushed for 680 yds this season and scored 8 TDs.  From the MaxPreps filmclips it looks like he has good moves and good speed in the open field. He's the #2 rusher for Brownwood.

The top rusher for Brownwood this season is #20 Reece Rodgers(5-9/165/Sr). This guy doesn't sound or look very intimidating, but he's managed to reel off just over 1700 yds on the ground in 12 games this season. From what I can see looking at the filmclips......he has excellent speed and vision, and just sidesteps the defenders and gets by them with his speed. Rodgers is averaging 8 yds per carry and 142 yds/game......with over 100+ yds in 11 games this season.  He has scored 27 TD's for the Lions on the ground and 1 thru the air. He's caught 9 passes in 12 games for 121 yds.......so they really don't throw to him very much.

Brownwood has 4 receivers they throw to regularly......but #12 AJ McCarty(5-11/180/Sr.) WR/CB is by far their main target.  This guy is a speed merchant for sure.....and he has no problem getting open or catching it in traffic. McCarty has 40 receptions for 1006 yds and 10 TD's in 12 games this season for the Lions......that's an avg. or 25 yds/catch. Their other 3 receivers are all averaging around 250 yds for the season. #9 Zach Strong(6-5/200/Sr.) is a big and athletic player.....he plays FS on defense also.  It's gonna be difficult to defend against his height for sure.....esp. since he plays in the secondary on defense too.  He's scored 4 TD's and leads the team in interceptions with 4. He gets a high number of tackles every game too. He's also their kicker.

#15 Dane Johnson(5-11/155/Jr) WR/SS plays both ways too.  He has scored 2 TD's and has 1 interception on the year.  He also is a kick return man......so he has good speed also. The Lions 4th regular receiver is #2 Isyah Campos(5-11/155/Sr) WR.  He has also scored 2 TD's this season. 

6 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Arygle had its scare already. I believe they bounce back and win by a few.

I’m not convinced that’s correct.  Everyone is fooled by the offensive numbers covering for the defense.  I’m taking BW in the upset.  Weather plays a factor, as does BW defense.  The Lion offense scores just enough.  I see this game possibly going like the weather impacted LV vs CS game from 2015.  Final was 16-14 LV.  Rain blew sideways most of the game.  Miserable football conditions.

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I’m not convinced that’s correct.  Everyone is fooled by the offensive numbers covering for the defense.  I’m taking BW in the upset.  Weather plays a factor, as does BW defense.  The Lion offense scores just enough.  I see this game possibly going like the weather impacted LV vs CS game from 2015.  Final was 16-14 LV.  Rain blew sideways most of the game.  Miserable football conditions.

Agree never count out the weather. I just believe this may be the Eagles year to soar.

3 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I have seen both play and if you don’t think  those conditions favor Argyle you are mistaken.  You read about the passing and the scoring but at the end of the day Argyle’s line and run game is what makes them different from last years team.

I do see how easy you could have that opinion in all fairness.

Just keep in mind against the two best defenses argyle has faced this year they had a 6 and 7 minute drives in the 4th q.  LV and Celina.

35 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

I have seen both play and if you don’t think  those conditions favor Argyle you are mistaken.  You read about the passing and the scoring but at the end of the day Argyle’s line and run game is what makes them different from last years team.

I do see how easy you could have that opinion in all fairness.

Just keep in mind against the two best defenses argyle has faced this year they had a 6 and 7 minute drives in the 4th q.  LV and Celina.

I have seen the OL and run game on video.  Big boys for sure but not overpowering yo be honest.  Brownwood will match up with them well in 1st half.  If the Lions can hold in the 2nd half and force a couple punts or a TO and keep the ball on offense they got a chance for the upset.  Just have to win by two, cause that’s my prediction!  😂

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Do you have any idea what’s coming?  Or are you just guessing?

Ha! I don’t know what’s coming!

I think Brownwood’s defense and the weather hold Argyle’s offense well under its average and the Lions score just enough to win.

Brownwood’s offense leans more heavily on the run and less than ideal weather won’t slow their offense as much as it will Argyle’s.