Argyle(12-0) vs Brownwood(11-1) Friday 1:30 pm at McLane Stadium in Waco

regaleagle

Regionals  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2019 at 07:30 PM

It's been quite a while for Brownwood to make the 3rd round.......anybody know how many years its been? They will come in all fired up and hungry to put a whoopin' on Argyle.  My guess is they will play very physical.......until Argyle starts spreading their D with those passing routes.  As long as Argyle keeps the ball on the ground it will be a physical game. I know the Argyle coaching staff has been concentrating on getting Knox Scoggins plenty of rushes, but I hope the weather holds and they open up that passing game to protect our backs a little bit.  Byce is gone for the season and now Farris is nursing a shoulder.......but Scoggins and Duck can get it done with that big Argyle O-line opening up some holes.  It's just that Scoggins is not as quick as Byce or Farris, but he's plenty strong and tough......a real bruiser of a RB for a soph.  I'll be there to see what kind of offensive gameplan Coach Rodgers has opted for this week......considering the circumstances.  I think he should rely on Bocephus and those receivers this week.

Brownwood's QB Huff is very much equal to Bo Hogeboom in completion percentage......which means he's very accurate with his throws.  I don't think the Brownwood receivers are as talented as the Argyle receivers, and Argyle does have a good secondary covering the pass.  But I think they can be a little too anxious against the run and get out of position sometimes.......and get burned.  They have to remember they are the last level of the defense and play a little looser to prevent the big breakaway.

Argyle has an outstanding soph safety that did not play the last 2 weeks.  Will Ramsey#10(5-11/175) has played only 10 games and is still the 2nd leading tackler on the team.  He has 6 TFL's also.  The defense has suffered up the middle without him in there at Free Safety.......he really is a difference-maker to the Eagles defense.  Not sure about his overall health or the injury he sustained.......but we shall see Friday if he's back in there.

I think what most people are missing is the match up.  Brownwood matches up very well against Argyle.  BW was able to run with and cover the LV receivers for the most part (better then any other team) and their run defense is pretty good too. With Argyle on it 2nd maybe 3rd RB this could play in to brownwood hands.   There is an 80% chance of rain and sustained wind out of the south at 15-25 mph. McLane is open to the south and the way the wind swirls in that stadium could make passing pretty difficult.  Brownwoods has the ability to get teams behind the chains and with the conditions Friday night passing yards might be at a premium with the conditions this also could play in to the Lions hands.  My biggest issue with Agyle is there defense.  They gave up 49 to Stephenville.  Stephenville only score 10 points against LV in a game that the pirates were missing several defensive starters.  Brownwood in my opinion is better on Offense than Stephenville.   This is a scary match up for the Eagles.  

I'm just not sold on Brownwood's D being a shut-down type of defense from the filmclips I watched.  I think Argyle will move the chains both thru the air and on ground on Friday, regardless of the weather.  The real question is how will the Eagles defense perform......and will they hold their positions this week.  

• Like 1

One thing is for sure.......the Eagles AND Bo Hogeboom have played in some mighty inclimate weather conditions the past two seasons.  I hope they will be able to overcome any adverse weather and let Scoggins power his way with that big O-line upfront. Duck is a big soph. too......just not quite as experienced yet.  Both can take the pounding and give it back.

#18 Knox Scoggins(5-11/180/Soph) has rushed for 578 yds on 117 carries in 11 games......about half of those with the backup O-line.  #34 Trevor Duck(6-0/180/Soph/MLB-RB) has rushed for 256 yds on 56 carries this season in 8 games.......primarily if not completely with the backups in there.  You may see both of these sophs. in there on Friday.  You will definitely see Scoggins for sure.

So far this season, the Argyle Eagles have rushed for a total of 2730 yds in 12 games......or about 227.5 yds/game. That's about the same as Brownwood.....they avg. 228.8 yds/game......but with 130 less carries.  That may reflect the teams they played.....but it really reflects Reece Rodgers with long gains.  

Argyle has passed for a team total of 3746 yds. this season(3340 for Hogeboom)......or averaged 310.8 yds/game. Total passing yds for Brownwood this season stands at 2075, with Huff accounting for 1993 of those yds.  That's an average of 166.7 yds/game for Brownwood in the air compared to Argyle.  I'd say Argyle has a definite advantage in the offensive stats category, for sure.  But Brownwood has relied on a very sound defense to win games this season......even though they have a very sound and balanced offense.

I would compare Brownwoods defense to Celinas.  With Brownwood being a little better on the backend.  But offensively Brownwood is head and shoulders better then Celina.  This game setup to be similar in weather conditions to the Celina game.  If that happens I can see Lions getting the better of the Eagles. 

I think it may be wet, but not as cold as the Celina game.  Cold and wet is more difficult for the QB and receivers than just wet.  But at RB I think Brownwood will definitely have the advantage.  Especially Rodgers......he's a speedy back and the offense always knows the play on a slippery surface.  The defense has to react and change directions more than the offense.....which is problematic on wet turf.

8 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Of course the Defending Champs may have something to say about this matchup. I do not know which I would be more excited about. Carthage vs Vega or Carthage vs Arygle. I kinda wish both didn't play Liberty Eylau and called Surratt. 

Preseason games don’t count lol.  

8 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Play who in front of you. Not their fault the region isn't up to par.

This is very true

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

One thing is for sure.......the Eagles AND Bo Hogeboom have played in some mighty inclimate weather conditions the past two seasons.  I hope they will be able to overcome any adverse weather and let Scoggins power his way with that big O-line upfront. Duck is a big soph. too......just not quite as experienced yet.  Both can take the pounding and give it back.

Both Scoggins and Duck are older redshirt Sophomores.  They were driving way before the end of their freshman year.  It is not like we are putting that young of a team out there (age-wise).  Either way, Argyle wins. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

And then you reveal you have no clue.  No one and I’ll repeat no one is blowing out our DL.  You may beat us around the end but that narrative is just false .  Watch some film and comeback and say that. 

You are correct.  Our DL is pretty good IMO.  The secondary, not so much.  Placing Rexroat at the safety position would rectify our problem of giving up big run plays for the most part.  That kid is the fastest on the defense and plays like a maniac.  It is a shame he is wasted just blitzing around the end for containment play after play. 

22 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

And then you reveal you have no clue.  No one and I’ll repeat no one is blowing out our DL.  You may beat us around the end but that narrative is just false .  Watch some film and comeback and say that. 

Hypothetical question - who wins the battle between Argyle OL vs Argyle DL if they went head to head for 4 quarters?