La Vega (12-1) vs Argyle (13-0) 12/6 - 7 P.M. McLane Stadium (Waco)

fromabuick8

La Vega vs. Argyle  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, SoutheastTX said:

I am travelling this weekend anyway, so wife & I decided to take a 150 mile detour and attend this game. It ought to be a brawl. Can't wait to see this Carthage team at Baylors McLane Stadium Friday night.   

You know carthage is playing in Jacksonville right? This showdown is in waco at the same time. 

10 hours ago, coachkells said:

I don't think being physical will be a problem for La Vega.  

No way! After watching the Pirates play Celina, that's the first thing that jumps out at you, is just how big and how physical La Vega is ... on both sides of the ball. They get after it. They get from point A to point B in a hurry and arrive with bad intentions (not dirty)! They've got the athletes to go stride-for-stride with Argyle, there's no question. The Eagles offensive line, which is really, really good, is going to be tested in a big, big way.

But even after all that, having seen both teams late in the season, I just don't know that La Vega can stop the Eagles enough. That Argyle offense is built to score in truckloads and can do it on any snap. My gut says this is a shootout, and Argyle wins in a high-scoring affair.

40 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

No way! After watching the Pirates play Celina, that's the first thing that jumps out at you, is just how big and how physical La Vega is ... on both sides of the ball. They get after it. They get from point A to point B in a hurry and arrive with bad intentions (not dirty)! They've got the athletes to go stride-for-stride with Argyle, there's no question. The Eagles offensive line, which is really, really good, is going to be tested in a big, big way.

But even after all that, having seen both teams late in the season, I just don't know that La Vega can stop the Eagles enough. That Argyle offense is built to score in truckloads and can do it on any snap. My gut says this is a shootout, and Argyle wins in a high-scoring affair.

Fair assessment, the pirates will be playing fast this week and I believe the can hold Argyle to one of it lowest totals of the year, if that happens can the Argyle defense do the same.  How would you compare Celina Defense to La Vega?

On a side note I graduated from Ozark.  

43 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Fair assessment, the pirates will be playing fast this week and I believe the can hold Argyle to one of it lowest totals of the year, if that happens can the Argyle defense do the same.  How would you compare Celina Defense to La Vega?

On a side note I graduated from Ozark.  

Ozark, huh? No kidding! I work for the Logan-Rogersville school district, so, just up the road from where you graduated.

Defensively, the biggest thing is La Vega's defense just has so many more pure athletes than Celina's defense. And I think the Bobcats had a very good defense this season. They weren't flashy, and there weren't any kids on that side of the ball that would make your jaw drop. But as a unit, they played pretty well and disciplined. The defensive lines are fairly similar, in my opinion. I'd give a slight nod to La Vega, just because of their speed up front. But Celina had a fairly formidable d-line, too. The big, big, big separation between the two is at the LB spot. I have not see a group of LBs with as much as speed as the Pirates' corps had in a long, long, long time. They can afford to play far behind the defensive line, just because they have the flat-out speed to close the gap in a hurry. And they're physical. Very, very physical. They didn't miss many tackles, if any, and Celina's RB is very good ... a step or two above Argyle's RBs, and that's not a knock on those kiddos at all. You've got to be careful with comparisons though, because Argyle's offensive line is lightyears ahead of Celina's. They'll be fine to sit back in pass-pro, let those La Vega LBs play off the line, because Hogenboom can really go to work then. Not to mention, the Eagles' line is good enough to get to some of those second-level blocks that Celina just never could figure out.

The Bobcats defense, on the road, managed to hold Argyle to its lowest output, points-wise, this season. So I get the question about comparing Celina's defense to La Vega's, and I get the optimism that the Pirates can hold Argyle to an even lower threshold. But, man, there's a lot of other factors and variables at play here, the big one, of course, being Argyle is hungry to avenge that loss from a year ago in this same round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

The Bobcats defense, on the road, managed to hold Argyle to its lowest output, points-wise, this season. So I get the question about comparing Celina's defense to La Vega's, and I get the optimism that the Pirates can hold Argyle to an even lower threshold. But, man, there's a lot of other factors and variables at play here, the big one, of course, being Argyle is hungry to avenge that loss from a year ago in this same round.

Or the Pirates hunger to avenge a home loss from earlier this year.   

24 more hours, folks.

If you're coming from DFW and want to take a scenic route to avoid the I35 cluster, take 22 out of Hillsboro through Whitney and over the Whitney dam.  At the blinking yellow light in Laguna Park (just after the Whitney dam), turn left on FM56 and drive for about 4 miles, then turn left at the FM2490 (Wortham Bend) blinking light.  This will take you straight into Valley Mills/China Spring and will dead end on China Spring Road after about 20 miles, plus you might see some champion Longhorns on the RC Granger Ranch if you're lucky.  Take a left at the green light by the Griff's shell station and go down to Steinbeck Bend (approx. 3 miles) and take a left.  You are now on Steinbeck Bend which turns into N. MLK Dr. after you pass Lake Shore Dr.  Stay on Steinbeck Bend/MLK and you will run into McLane.

Yes I realize this is a complete circle but you will virtually see no traffic until you get close to McLane.  Proceed on 35 on a Friday afternoon at your own discretion.

• Like 1

Gameday is right!!  I'm on a borrowed computer now......mine won't be back until next week(typical). Argyle vs La Vega in McLane.......no bad weather this time and no excuses from either side.  It's win or go play basketball......which neither team wants to do at this point.  As a fan......you  have to feel like this game is the BIGGEST of the season in Class 4A so far.  But you never know about a game like this.......sometimes the blow-up before kickoff justifies the game and sometimes the game goes a totally unexpected direction. If I was La Vega I would definitely be trying to cause some turnovers against Argyle tonight........by design!  So Argyle will need to protect the football first and foremost against the LV defense, and then just play their own game.......do what you do best and what got you here.  Now is not the time to try some new twists.......Argyle should be favored in this game and has the best team.  It's just difficult to give them the nod in a 2nd meeting of the season and at McLane which is basically a home game for La Vega.  Those are two very tough obstacles Argyle will face this evening in addition to everything else on the field of battle.

15 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

...Martin? Ibanez?

Learned on an old ibanez that might be worth $100 today...maybe.  Once i knew it was something i was going to stick with I saved my $ up from doing side jobs and paid cash for a Gibson j-15.  Love it.

Sorry la vega and argyle fans, don't mean to hijack your thread.  Now,  about those Carthage Bulldogs... 😂

What do I really think???   I think Argyle has enough firepower and manpower on this team to win this game despite missing some very quality starters.  I also think La Vega will bring their very best tonight to the stadium........they know this is THE game they have played for all season long.   It's "beat Argyle tonight" or their season is over.  They have the athletes to do it, but so does Argyle.......that's a major problem for LV.  Usually they can just out-athlete their opponents........but it won't be that easy tonight in Waco against this 2019 Argyle team......just ask everybody else that has tried.

• Like 1

La Vega should cause enough problems defensively for Argyle tonight to keep the scoring lower........kinda like last week in the mid-40's for the winner. In fact.......I think the final score will be much the same as last week against Brownwood.......maybe LV scores in the high 20's or low 30's.    Argyle 45     La Vega 31

GO EAGLES!!!!

• Like 1

Now that I've seen both teams I will give my two cents worth...Last year IMO LV was an elite team. It left like they were up by 10 points before the opening kickoff. I didn't get that feeling about them this year. They are still a good team with tons of talent but seem quite a bit down from last year. They reminded me a lot of Paris but with a bigger OL and better tackling more physical D. That OL is just massive but they didn't seem that good in technique to me and #68 does his best blocking after the play is over. Cummings and Walton are beasts at RB and will always get their yards. The QB is also an underrated runner.

It was said they had some players suffering from the Flu last week against Melissa. I hope those guys recovered and they don not get in a 20-0 hole like last week or their season ends tonight. Not sure if anybody but those who attended last weeks LV-Melissa game know this but Mel QB Brendon Lewis who was probably the best player on the field injured his leg on the 4th play of the game and was clearly never anywhere near 100% and did close to nothing (less than 100 yards total offense for him) after that happened.

I think Argyle is better in every group except RB and DBs and see them winning this one by a decent margin. Unlike last year the weather will be zero factor. I'd really love to attend and if it was Mansfield/Midlo/Wax I'd be there. Waco is too far for this neutral fan that would be looking at a 2+ hour drive in awful DFW traffic. I'm planning on heading over to Rockwall to watch Lancaster-Lone Star in what should be a great game.

Cannot make the drive tonight.......just finished up my Friday and will just watch the game on NFHS on my monthly subscription I paid $11 for a couple of weeks ago.  I guess I'll be updating the scoring and plays here also tonight and just stay tuned into several other games of note in action at the same time. It's about 2.5 hrs from Denton to Waco in Friday afternoon traffic.....maybe even more. Hopefully, Argyle will win tonight and so will Springtown in Region I.......that would give us another week with a game closeby. If Argyle loses tonight, at least I will not have that long drive back after another loss in this round to LV........that would be a dreary ride home.  IF La Vega loses, they don't have far to drive to get home to continue their misery, LOL.  In fact......they can be on the basketball court early Saturday morning after a good night of rest.  

I borrowed my son's other laptop for the weekend until mine gets repaired......should be ready sometime next week.  Good thing he has two of them, Huh?  I had to drive about 35 miles one way and then back to get it.......but well worth the drive and effort for veiwing the game tonight on NFHS and having access to Smoaky for all the rest of the action this weekend.  For those that wish to listen LIVE to the Argyle broadcast.......just google Sportsgram. net and click on the Argyle game. I believe the game kicks at 7 pm but a pregame broadcast starts @ 6:30.

22 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I borrowed my son's other laptop for the weekend until mine gets repaired......should be ready sometime next week.  Good thing he has two of them, Huh?  I had to drive about 35 miles one way and then back to get it.......but well worth the drive and effort for veiwing the game tonight on NFHS and having access to Smoaky for all the rest of the action this weekend.  For those that wish to listen LIVE to the Argyle broadcast.......just google Sportsgram. net and click on the Argyle game. I believe the game kicks at 7 pm but a pregame broadcast starts @ 6:30.

It’s going to take you a week to get caught up!

IF Argyle does not turn the ball over tonight, I seriously doubt that LV will be able to outscore the Eagles.  After all, that's what you have to do to win.......just outscore your opponent......even by just one point.  You can talk all day long about defense, but when one team is on defense......the other is on offense and is controlling the ball.  IF Argyle can maintain possessions long enough to score when they have control of that football, then I think it will make things difficult for LV.  IF somehow LV makes short work of Argyle's possessions......with either turnovers or punts.......then things might get a little uncomfortable for Argyle.  The object is to make your opponent uncomfortable and distressed, LOL.......while your team controls the action and scores.