Groveton vs San Augustine - 2A Div 1 Regional Final

SAWolfman

Who Wins  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Groveton or SA

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Most people believe you win games with RB WR QB..... While they are vital the real key to championships is the offense and defense lines. I believe the two teams left in Region 3 are our best at that position. The reason we haven’t gotten over the hump against the other regions is they have us beat at line play. Region 3 has arguably the best athletes in any region. Whichever team prevails Friday has a line that can compete against the others this year. And whichever team controls the line Friday and wins the turnover battle will come out victorious.

I agree on the line play being the issue in years past.  I haven't been able to see any East Texas teams this year.  Last year prior to the semi-final I think I recall reading that the SA line was big and dominant, or words to that effect.  When I watched them against Refugio in the semi-final game, they were big, but for the most part they looked overweight and slow, so Refugio just wore them out.  Has that changed this year?  If so, they should have a good shot.  Will also need to play some disciplined football.  Refugio of years past seemed to be undisciplined and got a lot of penalties, usually 3-4 personal fouls each game among others.  They have cleaned it up and this is no longer the case.  They aren't setting themselves back with these ridiculous penalties.  If SA/Groveton winner can do the same, they have a shot.

45 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Who was hurt for Jo?

The only kid that didn’t play against Groveton was our leading rusher, TB Gunner Nelson, who broke his collarbone early in the Alto game. We had several kids playing injured, but that’s something pretty much everyone deals with this time of year. Bottom line, Groveton had a great game plan and their kids executed it well. We made the kind of mistakes you can’t make in the third round of the playoffs. No excuses. Friday night, they were the better team. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

I agree on the line play being the issue in years past.  I haven't been able to see any East Texas teams this year.  Last year prior to the semi-final I think I recall reading that the SA line was big and dominant, or words to that effect.  When I watched them against Refugio in the semi-final game, they were big, but for the most part they looked overweight and slow, so Refugio just wore them out.  Has that changed this year?  If so, they should have a good shot.  Will also need to play some disciplined football.  Refugio of years past seemed to be undisciplined and got a lot of penalties, usually 3-4 personal fouls each game among others.  They have cleaned it up and this is no longer the case.  They aren't setting themselves back with these ridiculous penalties.  If SA/Groveton winner can do the same, they have a shot.

Way more athletic and disciplined than the past two years. Not gonna beat our chest and say we will be playing in Jerry’s house in a little over 2 weeks, but think we have a chance 

32 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

Way more athletic and disciplined than the past two years. Not gonna beat our chest and say we will be playing in Jerry’s house in a little over 2 weeks, but think we have a chance 

Good to hear.  I'm guessing SA would play Refugio in the Houston area and if by chance Holland takes Region 4, where would that likely be played?  Trying to plan for next week.

5 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

Waco. Game will be on Thursday 

Considering that anyone fortunate enough to advance to the finals will be playing on Thursday morning, it just makes sense to play the semifinals on Thursday. You have to figure on losing Wednesday to travel, so playing the semifinals on Friday would essentially leave you only two days of practice for a state championship game. 

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Considering that anyone fortunate enough to advance to the finals will be playing on Thursday morning, it just makes sense to play the semifinals on Thursday. You have to figure on losing Wednesday to travel, so playing the semifinals on Friday would essentially leave you only two days of practice for a state championship game. 

Actually 2A Div 1 Championship is Wednesday evening at 7 

3 minutes ago, jorr2car said:

Wolfman must be working this week! This thread does not have 21 pages 😁.

We don’t talk near as much this late in the year. Wolfman even knows we have our hands full from here on out. No games are easy and Groveton is a good football team

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, Nacwagons said:

Who was hurt for Jo?

Starting running back. Arguable fastest or 2nd fastest kid for Joe. Not saying Joaquin would have beaten Groveton with him in the game, cause they might not have. Personally I think him being out had a major impact on Joes performance. But that’s football and that exact story plays itself out dozens of times every year across the state. Groveton kids got a solid ball club. I think they’ll give SA Hell for a half.

23 hours ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

Starting running back. Arguable fastest or 2nd fastest kid for Joe. Not saying Joaquin would have beaten Groveton with him in the game, cause they might not have. Personally I think him being out had a major impact on Joes performance. But that’s football and that exact story plays itself out dozens of times every year across the state. Groveton kids got a solid ball club. I think they’ll give SA Hell for a half.

Joaquin wasn't the only one who had a very good player out. Groveton has been playing without one of their best on both sides of the ball for the last two games. 

17 hours ago, Bigj47 said:

After much thinking I predict SA 48 Groveton 28.  Think it will be closer than last time just think The Wolves will be hard to stop on offense. 

SA offense is pretty legit. So is Groveton's. No predictions, I hope for a close game without injuries. It would benefit both teams to have a close game. SA hasn't really been slowed and I'm curious how they will respond if Groveton keeps it close or pulls ahead. Good luck to both. I'm looking for to what I hope is a good game tomorrow night.

41 minutes ago, Reddog92 said:

Joaquin wasn't the only one who had a very good player out. Groveton has been playing without one of their best on both sides of the ball for the last two games. 

Come on Dog, you know Joaquin is the only one that plays without it's best players...I mean otherwise, they would never be beat...if you don't believe me, just ask them

30 minutes ago, Reddog92 said:

SA offense is pretty legit. So is Groveton's. No predictions, I hope for a close game without injuries. It would benefit both teams to have a close game. SA hasn't really been slowed and I'm curious how they will respond if Groveton keeps it close or pulls ahead. Good luck to both. I'm looking for to what I hope is a good game tomorrow night.

I would say real legit.  Groveton, has been good as of late, but were challenged at the line and by DB's the first round.  If SA comes to play, this one won't be close.  I do agree, it would be nice to see a close game to see how the Wolves respond because like I sad, there are no easy games left