PantherNation2015

Midlothian Heritage vs Carthage  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Midlothian Heritage
    • Carthage

This poll is closed to new votes

22 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Look at the stats you'll see. Losers punt alot. Surratt is right not to punt in the vast majority of cases. He has been correct 99.9 % of the time. 

I don't really mind us not ever punting,  but sometimes it's better to.  MH had a much shorter field and scored because of it.  We had already punted once in the game. We won.  Semifinals bound.  Good enough for me.  Much better than last year's game.  Defense was great tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I don't really mind us not ever punting,  but sometimes it's better to.  MH had a mich shorter field and scored because of it.  We had already punted once in the game. We won.  Semifinals bound.  Good enough for me.  Much better than last year's game.  Defense was great tonight.

If a play is executed right, a team should be able to get yardage on 4th down just like if it was 1st down anywhere else. Does being deep in your own territory suddenly render you unable to play football???

2 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

If a play is executed right, a team should be able to get yardage on 4th down just like if it was 1st down anywhere else. Does being deep in your own territory suddenly render you unable to play football???

Execution is not guaranteed 

Just now, NightStar11 said:

There's a fine line between madness and greatness, if there's one at all.  We've gone for it on 4th and 12 or something from inside our own 20 in state title games and converted.  I'm in no mood to argue this.  We won.  On to the semi finals.

3 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

And MH gets the ball 1st in second half.  We were one block away from a big play but we should have punted.

I would have punted, but the state championship game in 2016 changed for the good because of a similar distance on 4th down on Carthage's side of the field

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

There's a fine line between madness and greatness, if there's one at all.  We've gone for it on 4th and 12 or something from inside our own 20 in state title games and converted.  I'm in no mood to argue this.  We won.  On to the semi finals.

We have the Best Coaching staff in the State of Texas, with the Titles to attest to that fact; If Coach Surratt elects to go for it on 4th & long, then doesn’t convert; I feel he will Own that decision afterward, & I don’t think it is right for any of us to “armchair quarterback” his calls... That’s why he gets the big check. 🤨

3 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

We have the Best Coaching staff in the State of Texas, with the Titles to attest to that fact; If Coach Surratt elects to go for it on 4th & long, then doesn’t convert; I feel he will Own that decision afterward, & I don’t think it is right for any of us to “armchair quarterback” his calls... That’s why he gets the big check. 🤨

He doesn't care if you armchair quarterback him, if you keep it civil  ---- but of course what is said on Smoaky isn't going to affect his decisions(lol)...…….And in the offseason, when he has a little more time,  he will discuss some decisions with you 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

I would have punted, but the state championship game in 2016 changed for the good because of a similar distance on 4th down on Carthage's side of the field

Sometimes you have to stand your ground, even when the odds are against you. It's just like the German 6th Army at Stalingrad. They fought until they ran out of ammunition and 250,000 were either killed, captured or wounded, but they killed 1,500,000 of Stalin's soldiers so who really lost the battle?? 

4 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

HearEmaGrousin,  I don't wanna hear from you until you bring me my chicken n biscuits! You basstard. You were a total no show. Did you pull a drunk or what? 

Haha, I pulled up lame en route to the stadium with our chicken. I tweaked an ankle and stubbed by toe walking out of KFC. Just had to eat it myself in the truck since I couldn’t walk once at the Tomato Bowl. So close!

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

CarthageDawg77 - I’d say based on his decisions in the second half in similar situations he’ll own it.  But he will also say the defense was swarming and were likely not going to give up much the rest of the night.  It’s over and didn’t have much of an impact in the game other than to break the shutout.

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

CarthageDawg77 - I’d say based on his decisions in the second half in similar situations he’ll own it.  But he will also say the defense was swarming and were likely not going to give up much the rest of the night.  It’s over and didn’t have much of an impact in the game other than to break the shutout.

Agreed; This truly was a battle of Defenses. Heritage’s D did a very good job of pressuring Horton & even sacking him several times for lost yardage, as well as some excellent pass coverage to keep it as close as they did.

The Dawg D Also was very effective at stopping the run and picking off the Midlothian QB several times after he was pressured to throw the ball. 

Overall, Carthage was the better team on both sides of the ball.

6 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Agreed; This truly was a battle of Defenses. Heritage’s D did a very good job of pressuring Horton & even sacking him several times for lost yardage, as well as some excellent pass coverage to keep it as close as they did.

The Dawg D Also was very effective at stopping the run and picking off the Midlothian QB several times after he was pressured to throw the ball. 

Overall, Carthage was the better team on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, Carthage was easily much better on both sides of the ball and blatantly has many more athletes. 
Bowman completely shut down MH’s best receiver, Jay Wilkerson. Some of that is the QB was running for his life all night and he just isn’t as talented a passer as Heritage’s QB from last year’s team. Even still, Bowman was all over Wilkerson, had one or two picks and had several pass breakups. Bowman was very much locked in and locked down Wilkerson.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yeah, Carthage was easily much better on both sides of the ball and blatantly has many more athletes. 
Bowman completely shut down MH’s best receiver, Jay Wilkerson. Some of that is the QB was running for his life all night and he just isn’t as talented a passer as Heritage’s QB from last year’s team. Even still, Bowman was all over Wilkerson, had one or two picks and had several pass breakups. Bowman was very much locked in and locked down Wilkerson.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

Wilkerson’s Alligator mouth clearly overloaded his hummingbird Azz last evening...

• LOL! 2
  • Stinks 1

32 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage fan here looking thru non shaded glasses -  both sides did their fair share of chirping. 
It may all been in good fun, but #8 was not alone in chirping. 

Guarantee he started all of it all the way back to last year. I bet the Carthage players had gotten fed up with it and when they continually shut he and MH down they began letting him hear about it. No need to do that, but it’s over now.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

12 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

I don't really mind us not ever punting,  but sometimes it's better to.  MH had a much shorter field and scored because of it.  We had already punted once in the game. We won.  Semifinals bound.  Good enough for me.  Much better than last year's game.  Defense was great tonight.

Just to re-iterate my point.  Punting isn't always bad or "for losers."  It was said earlier in the thread that if a play is executed right there's no difference between 1st and 4th down.  There is one difference:  if you don't make it on 4th down the other team gets the ball back.  Nobody's been a bigger supporter of our great coach on here.  HE IS the reason for our success. 100% no doubt about it.  My only point on that particular possession was that the risk seemed greater than the reward.  30 secs left in the half do we punt and make MH go the whole length of the field with little time left or give them a short field?  We gave them a short field and they scored.  Having said all that I'm well aware that there's been 100 other times we've done the same thing and converted.  Cmon guys go easy on me here, I mean,  we're so spoiled we have to have at least something to criticize.  Ain't nobody perfect.

9 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Just to re-iterate my point.  Punting isn't always bad or "for losers."  It was said earlier in the thread that if a play is executed right there's no difference between 1st and 4th down.  There is one difference:  if you don't make it on 4th down the other team gets the ball back.  Nobody's been a bigger supporter of our great coach on here.  HE IS the reason for our success. 100% no doubt about it.  My only point on that particular possession was that the risk seemed greater than the reward.  30 secs left in the half do we punt and make MH go the whole length of the field with little time left or give them a short field?  We gave them a short field and they scored.  Having said all that I'm well aware that there's been 100 other times we've done the same thing and converted.  Cmon guys go easy on me here, I mean,  we're so spoiled we have to have at least something to criticize.  Ain't nobody perfect.

I’m on your side.  Fortunately it didn’t matter.  We still playing!