The Smoakhouse Forums

Winners/losers of realignment cutoff numbers

Hey @Stoney, howd you feel about getting the old gang back together again in District....Harmony, New Diana, Ore City, Harleton...and maybe Elysian Fields & Waskom? 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

Hey @Stoney, howd you feel about getting the old gang back together again in District....Harmony, New Diana, Ore City, Harleton...and maybe Elysian Fields & Waskom? 

In a heartbeat. Now that was a district. You pretty much started out playing those guys in 7th grade and the rivalries just grew from there. 

• Thanks 1

Almost always it hurts Princeton. When it moved up to 5A 2 years ago it was like when it moved up to 3A for '82. Back then Princeton football played at the size of a 2A school for 25 years or so. Finally it had a chance to win for five years 2011-2015. Then stupid coaching decisions made 2016 and 2017 losing years.

Then 2018 Princeton was moved to 5A and its not  good. Princeton's HC Clint Surratt is not very good. There is bad coaching strategies. He's no Scott Surratt. Princeton needs better players and more players. They cannot afford bad coaching decisions.

9 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

The growth is there, for sure, and this may be a one-cycle trip back down to Div. II. But, almost all of the new housing developments that have gone up have Celina mailing addresses, but are actually inside Prosper school district. 

Isn’t prosper adding a new 5A high school? 

Given that Prosper is exploding in population currently, it surprises me Celina isn’t also seeing at least some of that growth, they seem to have been for the last several years, perhaps it’s Celina kids transferring to Prosper ISD?

Either way, definitely a one time trip down to D2

48 minutes ago, mTex said:

Given that Prosper is exploding in population currently, it surprises me Celina isn’t also seeing at least some of that growth, they seem to have been for the last several years, perhaps it’s Celina kids transferring to Prosper ISD?

Either way, definitely a one time trip down to D2

Celina might stay down one more time, if the cutoff takes another big jump.

14 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Not Carthage 

You sure about that? At least fans are not excited like y’all think we would be. 
I guess this means we’ll get PG and Celina in the playoffs. I just like eventually having the opportunity to play Argyle and LV in the playoffs.

13 hours ago, ObiOne said:

Celina ISD just passed a $600 MILLION Bond?  And they went up by only 42 kids and dropped a classification???  

Will everyone quit whining about Carthage’s video board now?

18 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Carthage is smaller than Celina.  Celina admin/coaches have known for a month that if they dropped, Carthage would also. 

I know that, I'm just saying that it is a bummer for Celina. Everyone in Celina might be thinking they have a shot at state, until they realize that Carthage is also dropping. 

Talking more from a fans perspective.

40 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

I know that, I'm just saying that it is a bummer for Celina. Everyone in Celina might be thinking they have a shot at state, until they realize that Carthage is also dropping. 

Talking more from a fans perspective.

If it wasn't Carthage, it'd be someone else. Celina fans won't care either way. We just want to see an orange and white resurgence back to traditional Bobcat glory.

19 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Celina's growth hasn't quite hit yet...they passed that bond now preparing for the growth

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2019/12/03/here-is-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-uil-classification-cutoffs?ref=article_preview_title

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just seems very odd to me that town growing like they are only increased by 42 kids over 2 years.  Much smaller towns that are growing much slower have had added more kids in that time.  From Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celina,_Texas#Growth

Celina is among the fastest growing cities in the nation. It is currently averaging 1,300 new home permits a year with an ultimate build-out population of around 350,000 people. The City recently adopted its Downtown Master Plan, creating the vision for Celina's historic downtown and its ensuing renaissance.

11 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just seems very odd to me that town growing like they are only increased by 42 kids over 2 years.  Much smaller towns that are growing much slower have had added more kids in that time.  From Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celina,_Texas#Growth

Celina is among the fastest growing cities in the nation. It is currently averaging 1,300 new home permits a year with an ultimate build-out population of around 350,000 people. The City recently adopted its Downtown Master Plan, creating the vision for Celina's historic downtown and its ensuing renaissance.

Checking the TEA enrollment reports; you can see growth so its possible just have a smaller class or two....

Celina HS

2018-2019 844

2017-2018 792

2016-2017 733

2015-2016 697

of note, last year's 8th grade class at Celina JH (which would impact this year's snapshot # at the HS) was 211 students....while 7th grade is 229 and 6th grade is 202.....

Southern portions of Celina which get the growth first since its closer to Dallas are located in Prosper ISD...and Prosper has over 4k in the HS right now and they are opening HS #2 next year

19 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

I mentioned this either earlier in this thread or in another realignment thread, but the VAST majority of those new homes are being built with Celina mailing addresses, but fall within Prosper's school district. So the growth is certainly happening, residential and commercial, but that growth hasn't necessarily precipitated into a boom in the Celina ISD population. It will come eventually, there's no doubt. And I would suspect Celina would bump back to Div. I in two years, but perhaps not if the numbers make another big jump, hard to say at this point. Celina was BARELY over the Div. II cutoff last time, so maybe it shouldn't be surprising that they dropped again. I for one thought they would stay Div. I, but with the cutoff being pushed so high, makes perfect sense to me that they were underneath the Div. I line this time.

I wonder how much success teams have had dropping either a Division or classification. Henderson won its first year 3a. Marshall , Nac, Carthage , Chapel Hill. all struggled in the first year. Lufkin , JT , Atlanta didn't have Championships. It is more difficult to win moving up a class than dropping. Most hope for being competitive aka Lindale. 

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

I wonder how much success teams have had dropping either a Division or classification. Henderson won its first year 3a. Marshall , Nac, Carthage , Chapel Hill. all struggled in the first year. Lufkin , JT , Atlanta didn't have Championships. It is more difficult to win moving up a class than dropping. Most hope for being competitive aka Lindale. 

It just depends I feel. Marshall was struggling their last couple years in 5A before they dropped....then had one of the worst seasons in program history when they finally did drop with an 1-9 season. They probably go 0-10 in 2002 if they're 5A. But two years later, they go to back to back State Title games.

Texas High had won 2 games in three years, and hadn't had a winning season in 6 years before they dropped. First season they have a winning year and second they make the post season.

Nac was awful in 5A, and remained awful once they dropped.

Henderson had not had a winning season in 8 years before they dropped and immediately won State. Do they have a winning season in 4A? Who knows.

Longview dropped and reached back to back state title games their first go around. But that was book ended by trips to the 5A State Quarterfinals and 5A State Semi-Finals. John Tyler has more than had their success in 4A/5A, just can't get over the hump. Then there's Lufkin, who can barely win one playoff game now a days.

I feel like there's definitely some merit in the dropping classes = succcess myth. But it's more about the program in general and the participation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/3/2019 at 4:37 PM, JBizzle said:

How'd you like to pay them taxes?

That doesn't have a thing to do with football. Other than the high school Celina need to catch up. How about the Carthage scoreboard? Jesus rose out of the dust.

25 minutes ago, VZCR said:

That doesn't have a thing to do with football. Other than the high school Celina need to catch up. How about the Carthage scoreboard? Jesus rose out of the dust.

Wut?