The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
randomuser

Jeff Traylor to UTSA

6 minutes ago, EasyCompany said:

Please no.  Lamar needs a qualified college Head Coach. 

It's Lamar this year most successful since the 70s expectations can't be that high. 

4 minutes ago, EasyCompany said:

Please no.  Lamar needs a qualified college Head Coach. 

Wasn’t Shultz successful a couple of years? I know they have just been back playing football the last 10 years. I played college ball with Ray Woodard the previous coach. I remember visiting TCU when Shultz was there.

Schultz caught some bad breaks this year.  They went to the playoffs last year and was primed for another trip, but the starting QB broke his collarbone and a ton of other injuries happened.

The expectations are sky high in Beaumont right now.

A couple of weeks back some of the movers and shakers down there had mentioned that they would like to be able to hire Art Briles, but they didn't think they would be able to afford his salary demands.

If Jeff takes this job, he better be ready to hit the ground running.

Jeff Traylor would turn that program around.... It’s time he gets his chance to lead a college program, praying he finds the right place where he’s supposed to be. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maineman1988 said:

What’s in Beaumont that would attract them there? Besides Lamar. 

Mosquitoes and breathtaking landscape

• Haha 3

Awesome!! Congratulations to the Traylor family. Finally,  getting his shot. Hoping he does well. 

Not a big pressure job. Not a bad location. Recruiting Texas shouldn’t be a problem. UTSA could have gotten a steal. 

57 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Not a big pressure job. Not a bad location. Recruiting Texas shouldn’t be a problem. UTSA could have gotten a steal. 

^^I agree with this message

I think this is a good hire, however people outside of East Texas are laughing at it. They don't think they hired a different guy than Frank Wilson.

Frank Wilson- RB Coach and great recruiter at LSU. 

Essentially if Todd Dodge and Frank Wilson had a baby, you have Jeff Traylor. (Not my words)

UTSA is set up to be a good job. 1 professional team and a decent size stadium. The roster is depleted and he will need to get a couple of good classes in. However our conference is really bad. So if you can get a few JUCO guys in and win now. That will attract recruits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

I think this is a good hire, however people outside of East Texas are laughing at it. They don't think they hired a different guy than Frank Wilson.

Frank Wilson- RB Coach and great recruiter at LSU. 

Essentially if Todd Dodge and Frank Wilson had a baby, you have Jeff Traylor. (Not my words)

UTSA is set up to be a good job. 1 professional team and a decent size stadium. The roster is depleted and he will need to get a couple of good classes in. However our conference is really bad. So if you can get a few JUCO guys in and win now. That will attract recruits.

Hard not to think about Todd Dodge and North Texas when talking Traylor and UTSA. If Traylor is as good a recruiter as they say he is, this could be successful. I thought Dodge would have more success at UNT than he did.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Hard not to think about Todd Dodge and North Texas when talking Traylor and UTSA. If Traylor is as good a recruiter as they say he is, this could be successful. I thought Dodge would have more success at UNT than he did.

Dodge's problem was the high school assistants he brought on board. The Southlake Carroll defense is not stopping a Big 12/SEC/Any FBS offense.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Champ1000 said:

Mosquitoes and breathtaking landscape

Landscape & breathtaking Mosquitos...😱😜😂

• Haha 1

Reported 5 years and $3.3 million. Seems like a lot of money. Almost 3X what Lamar would have paid. Great decision not to go to SFA last year.