25 Best Teams That DIDN'T Win A National Title

88YoePride

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The 2003 Oklahoma Sooners will be the team I always think about when this subject is brought up. 

Still have no clue how they lost to KSU, much less got blown out by them. 

That team CRUSHED everyone other than like one or two teams who they still beat handily. They beat a good Texas team 65-13, murdered A&M in a game that could have been 100-0 if they'd wanted, blasted a talented Oklahoma State team 52-9.... And then got beat bad against KSU. I know guys got injured in that game and I chalk that up to being why they lost to LSU, but the KSU game is the real head scratcher.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Still have no clue how they lost to KSU, much less got blown out by them... 

Purple Wizard sacrificed a virgin and cast a spell over our offense. 

Darren Sproles and Ell Roberson had the game of their lives, while Heisman winner Jason White couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 

• LOL! 3
  • Sad 1

I'm not going to go through a slideshow.  These are storied programs that have never won a National Championship.   Navy even with Roger Staubach they have had 3 undefeated seasons in their history,  Arizona State with Danny White and Jake Plummer, University of Wisconsin, University of North Carolina, Virginia and Virginia Tech, Utah, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Houston, Kansas St., Iowa St., and Boise St. off the  top of my head.  

Fake news. They left out the 1966 Alabama team, which went unbeaten against the toughest schedule in the country. Notre Dame played politics, settling for a tie vs Michigan State because they knew the voters would award them the trophy, even though they weren’t going to a bowl game. The debate about that is probably better suited for the political forum, but any list of “The best teams to not win the national championship” that doesn’t include the ‘66 BAMA team is worthless. 

• Like 1

1917 A&M went 8-0 and outscored their opponents 270-0. I think A&M claims a title for it now, but they didn’t for a long time. Hard to argue a better case for a team not winning one than going undefeated and unscored upon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

1917 A&M went 8-0 and outscored their opponents 270-0. I think A&M claims a title for it now, but they didn’t for a long time. Hard to argue a better case for a team not winning one than going undefeated and unscored upon. 

Anything before 1936 is pretty suspect because there wasn't ONE governing body accepted as giving out national championships. Teams can claim whatever (I think USC claims 1939).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Anything before 1936 is pretty suspect because there wasn't ONE governing body accepted as giving out national championships. Teams can claim whatever (I think USC claims 1939).

Agreed and, let's face it, college football before then wasn't much like what we know of it today...   

Prior to the late '30s (or into the post-WWII era) college football was little more than a regional pastime. 

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I was joking a little... but I do think at any point in time it is impressive to not give up a single point on the season.