Coaching search question

justafan

Wondering if highschool coaching searches happen like college. Do they contact who they want? Do they wait to see who applies?  If I was a guy in charge I’d want to do my research and contact who I’d want. Just have never heard how it happens. 

Does surratt get calls each year?  

Why hasn’t he moved up? 

Why hasn’t keeling left? 

Few guys around here that haven’t moved up. Just curious 

4 hours ago, justafan said:

Wondering if highschool coaching searches happen like college. Do they contact who they want? Do they wait to see who applies?  If I was a guy in charge I’d want to do my research and contact who I’d want. Just have never heard how it happens. 

Does surratt get calls each year?  

Why hasn’t he moved up? 

Why hasn’t keeling left? 

Few guys around here that haven’t moved up. Just curious 

Surratt gets paid well in Carthage.  If Carthage goes 4 - 6 for three straight years, do you think he gets fired because of those losses ?

He goes to South Lake Carroll(or pick your school) and they have two years with a worse record than have had the last 10 years, he probably gets fired after those 2 years and looking for a job. They would say “he is a small school coach.”

8 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

Didn’t Surratt say he was staying put until his kids finish high school?  

Yes but that is coach speak. Mathis said that in Marshall. Right opportunity . However, he got it made in Carthage and is highly compensated. If Surratt leaves it would be for the NCAA. Contrary to popular belief you are still highly regarded as a Champion at a smaller school. I can't imagaine someone not putting Surratt in the top 5 all time in Coaching. 6 State Championships , going for another, and likely favorite in Division 2. Not too many guys can say that. Also keep in mind Carthage has great facilities and supporting fan base. 

Technically  the job opening is posted and then the Supt takes the applications and does the interviews and hiring. But that isn’t reality..... School board or big shot in town usually has someone in mind and that person has the inside track on the job.  Most AD/HC will say they want to stay forever but in my experience nearly everyone of them either interview somewhere else every year or at least they test the waters at other schools to see if they can bump up the prestige tree of coaching. More money and higher profile is what most want. Some guys at say the 4a or maybe the bigger 3a will stay put if the money is good and they have town support

I’m not saying he won’t leave. Things happen that change plans and desire is fickle, but you guys have to know that someone has offered him a job somewhere besides Carthage ISD. A man can’t have the success he has had and not draw the attention of someone looking to make a splash. He’s had interest.

May change his plans tomorrow, but right now he’s a Bulldog.