San Augustine vs Refugio

wolfpack76

San Augustine vs Refugio  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• San Augustine
    • Refugio

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/13/2019 at 12:55 AM

Regarding the poster who asked why someone didn't like Refugio's coach Jason Herring, I have an answer. He has called timeout with two seconds left and a 30-point lead to score again. He bragged about his actions to a reporter after the game. This wasn't an isolated incident. 

I have witnessed his players intentionally injure opponents.  I have never seen him address a player on the sideline after a personal foul. 

His MO is intimidation and I'm afraid San Augustine will fall into his trap

20 minutes ago, VZCR said:

Regarding the poster who asked why someone didn't like Refugio's coach Jason Herring, I have an answer. He has called timeout with two seconds left and a 30-point lead to score again. He bragged about his actions to a reporter after the game. This wasn't an isolated incident. 

A few years ago I saw Canadian v. Refugio at the Championship game. Good game until Canadian started to pull away. Canadian took its foot off the gas, but Refugio started to play dirty and have a meltdown. Canadian coach put some starters back in and opened up the playbook. While Canadian never retaliated with dirty play, they turned a sound win into a rout. 61-20.

Later that day I got in line for concessions and noticed that the Canadian coach was right in front of me. I congratulated him on an excellent win and how his players held their composure and displayed good sportsmanship. I laughed and told him I noticed he was clearly trying to throttle back, but then the complexion of the game changed when Refugio could not handle their defeat with class. He smiled and said he did not want to run up the score but clearly Refugio had it coming, and that it was better to do that than stooping to their level with dirty play. I have a lot of respect for the Canadian coach. Almost none for Herring. JMO     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoutheastTX said:

A few years ago I saw Canadian v. Refugio at the Championship game. Good game until Canadian started to pull away. Canadian took its foot off the gas, but Refugio started to play dirty and have a meltdown. Canadian coach put some starters back in and opened up the playbook. While Canadian never retaliated with dirty play, they turned a sound win into a rout. 61-20.

Later that day I got in line for concessions and noticed that the Canadian coach was right in front of me. I congratulated him on an excellent win and how his players held their composure and displayed good sportsmanship. I laughed and told him I noticed he was clearly trying to throttle back, but then the complexion of the game changed when Refugio could not handle their defeat with class. He smiled and said he did not want to run up the score but clearly Refugio had it coming, and that it was better to do that than stooping to their level with dirty play. I have a lot of respect for the Canadian coach. Almost none for Herring. JMO     

Also called one of our receivers a piece of poop that game.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoutheastTX said:

And we pulled starters with 10 min left. Could have put up 100 in that game, and part of me wishes we did. 

best summation of the programs was the Refugio QB running down our linebacker to shake his finger in his face, while down 30 points and being held to the worst game of his career. Our LB laughed and pointed to the score board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airitout1 said:

And we pulled starters with 10 min left. Could have put up 100 in that game, and part of me wishes we did. 

best summation of the programs was the Refugio QB running down our linebacker to shake his finger in his face, while down 30 points and being held to the worst game of his career. Our LB laughed and pointed to the score board.

That next year the same kid had no incidents with poor sportsmanship.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAhomer said:

That next year the same kid had no incidents with poor sportsmanship.  

That’s awesome. I’m not blaming the kid one bit!  Kids are kids, and will be kids. To me it is on the staff to reign that in and teach kids how to act in pressure situations. Coaching is about molding and creating coachable and employable teens. To teach kids how to deal with adversity, how to lose, and to learn that there are things more important than the individual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Airitout1 said:

That’s awesome. I’m not blaming the kid one bit!  Kids are kids, and will be kids. To me it is on the staff to reign that in and teach kids how to act in pressure situations. Coaching is about molding and creating coachable and employable teens. To teach kids how to deal with adversity, how to lose, and to learn that there are things more important than the individual.

I agree to disagree with your critical thinking regards to coaches being the anchor of high school players attitudes on and off the field. I believe the foundation role falls on the parents or the caregivers. They set the tone of the adolescent and the Coaches are secondary support system of the teenager success or if you have a uncoachable teenager that falls back to the primary support system (parents or caregiver). 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Goldberg said:

I agree to disagree with your critical thinking regards to coaches being the anchor of high school players attitudes on and off the field. I believe the foundation role falls on the parents or the caregivers. They set the tone of the adolescent and the Coaches are secondary support system of the teenager success or if you have a uncoachable teenager that falls back to the primary support system (parents or caregiver). 

Exactly

1 hour ago, Goldberg said:

I can agree with you on this. I guess what I am getting at is that it was not a new behavior. I’m sure it happened some the rest of the year (I know for a fact from some Refugio posters). A coach can pull the kid to show that that behavior will not be tolerated. 

another example of this in that game was the kid who received a penalty for a face mask on our QB. After the penalty before the next play he received a taunting penalty. He kept going and received another one. He never left the field.

We had a senior in the same game react after some extra curricular stuff happened to him. Our coach took his helmet and sent him to the bench for a series.

i like Refugio and it’s tradition. I think the programs history is awesome. I saw Herring when he was at wall and Sonora. My one time seeing how he handled the team in Refugio left me unimpressed. 

1 hour ago, Goldberg said:

I think anything is possible but SA will have to play mistake free game and hope that Refugio play a horrible game to possibly win. 

We’ll agree to disagree. It won’t take horrible play from Refugio. They are beatable. Never seen a team that wasn’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProdigyMaker said:

Good luck to the SA players, coaches and most fans. I wish you safe travels and hope none of your players are injured. 

My previous anti SA comments have all been directed at the few arrogant fans here that gloat about beating up on teams that are at a huge disadvantage. 

Thanks...we don’t make the schedule, we just play it. 

• Like 1