Bowl Games

I have very little hope for the Horns in this game.  However, I will be there to cheer my Horns on.  Going to the Alamo Bowl game is an annual event.  Finally a team that I actually care about will be in it.

This will be my third UT game this year and none of them were in Austin.  I do need Texas to win in order for me to have a winning record.  WV was a win.  TCU was a loss.  Hoping for a win against the Utes.

Serious question for 'Horn fans...  let's say that Utah absolutely shuts down UT in their bowl game. Would you anticipate the BOR pulling the trigger on Herman? 

A win (or even a close defeat) would seem to indicate that Herman did indeed remove dead weight with the recent firings, but wouldn't a rout indicate that the wrong guy was cut loose? 

29 minutes ago, AKA said:

Serious question for 'Horn fans...  let's say that Utah absolutely shuts down UT in their bowl game. Would you anticipate the BOR pulling the trigger on Herman? 

A win (or even a close defeat) would seem to indicate that Herman did indeed remove dead weight with the recent firings, but wouldn't a rout indicate that the wrong guy was cut loose? 

Next year is his last if he doesn't get into a NY6 game...  that is only my prediction (I am never wrong though :p )

• LOL! 1

31 minutes ago, AKA said:

Coaches don't usually get ousted for how they play in bowl games. Regardless of the score, I don't think cutting the OC and DC will have the effect you think it will have. A system can't be overhauled in two weeks of practice. What we need to see more than anything else is effort and to some extent, emotion. The first ten minutes of the Tech game, Texas looked like their Ritalin had just kicked in, and they played with no passion or sense of urgency. We need to come out guns blazing. Utah is the better team, and we should have that "nothing to lose" mentality.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Coaches don't usually get ousted for how they play in bowl games. Regardless of the score, I don't think cutting the OC and DC will have the effect you think it will have. A system can't be overhauled in two weeks of practice. What we need to see more than anything else is effort and to some extent, emotion. The first ten minutes of the Tech game, Texas looked like their Ritalin had just kicked in, and they played with no passion or sense of urgency. We need to come out guns blazing. Utah is the better team, and we should have that "nothing to lose" mentality.

This is the Georgia game 2.0. Utah went from likely making the playoffs to playing a 7-5 team in a bowl. If their head is in it who knows. If Texas is motivated is a mystery as well. Honestly this game could be a blowout either way or a close game either way or anything in between, and it wouldn’t surprise me. I also think fans of both teams need to take the results of this game with a grain of salt and not jump the gun one way or the other. 

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is the Georgia game 2.0. Utah went from likely making the playoffs to playing a 7-5 team in a bowl. If their head is in it who knows. If Texas is motivated is a mystery as well. Honestly this game could be a blowout either way or a close game either way or anything in between, and it wouldn’t surprise me. I also think fans of both teams need to take the results of this game with a grain of salt and not jump the gun one way or the other. 

This guy will definitely be taking the results of the game with a grain of salt. I know you don't give Texas much credit for beating Georgia last year, and I personally didn't like when Sam stated, "We're Back." But many Georgia players were quoted after the game saying they did not expect Texas to be as physical as they were in the game. Motivated or not, Georgia got taken to the woodshed physically. This whole idea of not being motivated to play in a game because you didn't make it to the playoffs or didn't get chosen for the bowl you wanted doesn't go well with me.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

This guy will definitely be taking the results of the game with a grain of salt. I know you don't give Texas much credit for beating Georgia last year, and I personally didn't like when Sam stated, "We're Back." But many Georgia players were quoted after the game saying they did not expect Texas to be as physical as they were in the game. Motivated or not, Georgia got taken to the woodshed physically. This whole idea of not being motivated to play in a game because you didn't make it to the playoffs or didn't get chosen for the bowl you wanted doesn't go well with me.

Yeah... I think it was a mixture of the two. UGA were obviously disappointed at being out of the CFP. They had a player or two sitting out, made a lot of what I would call "unforced errors" (punter going to a knee, for instance) and Texas pounced all over them physically, to their credit. 

It was a big win for Texas, but a lot of the media (who are stupid) and a few fans saw it as some big moment of turning the corner. It wasn't that, but it was a solid win.

Ultimately, we can't say whether a team "played up" or "didn't care to be there" with certainty. All we can say is, "On that day, in that stadium, Texas beat Georgia". Anything else is just people trying to find reason behind a two-TD underdog winning.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I’ve never tried to discredit the physicality of Texas in that game. I also think Texas played extremely well and had a good game plan. But I just don’t understand how anyone who has followed football or played the game believes it impossible for a team to enter a game overconfident or uninspired because of a lesser opponent and then ended up getting punched in the mouth for it. I don’t want to start another thread on this subject because I’ve given my views on it several times over, but I think it’s a bit naive to believe that Georgia couldn’t possibly have entered the game a little disappointed and uninspired. Many Texas fans have said for years that the thing about being Texas is that you always get the Kansas st and the Iowa st and all the wanna be teams best shot. So you clearly understand the playing inspired and upset minded approach. I also have heard many Texas fans claim during Texas losses that the team appeared flat and played uninspired and clearly some of those upset losses over the last few years were not to teams of better talent. So if Texas fans acknowledge motivation on both sides of this as in fact a part of the game, why is every Texas fan so adamant that it’s impossible that it happened in the Georgia game...

Like I said. I give all the credit to Texas for showing up ready to punch Georgia in the mouth and actually doing it. They played a great game. That doesn’t mean that Georgia couldn’t have also performed poorly because they overlooked Texas or were playing uninspired because they wanted to be elsewhere. Take your win and be proud of it. But don’t be a hypocrite about it...

WETSU, you are one passive-aggressive guy. Take your win, but don't be a hypocrite?

I don't disagree with anything you stated. In fact, I think Georgia came into the game over confident and going through the motions. My comment about the lack of motivation not sitting well with me has everything about being in the coaching profession. Does it happen? Yes. Do I like it? No. It doesn't matter if it's Georgia, Texas, Utah, etc... I always coached effort. Whether it was varsity football/baseball or little league, I demand effort and hustle. Kids I've coached knew the quickest way into my doghouse was to not hustle and give maximum effort. I'm sure Utah is disappointed, but I bet they show up ready to play. They're not a bunch of 4/5 star divas. I'm more worried about Texas showing up, and who is going to work with the players that lost their coaches.

19 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

WETSU, you are one passive-aggressive guy. Take your win, but don't be a hypocrite?

I don't disagree with anything you stated. In fact, I think Georgia came into the game over confident and going through the motions. My comment about the lack of motivation not sitting well with me has everything about being in the coaching profession. Does it happen? Yes. Do I like it? No. It doesn't matter if it's Georgia, Texas, Utah, etc... I always coached effort. Whether it was varsity football/baseball or little league, I demand effort and hustle. Kids I've coached knew the quickest way into my doghouse was to not hustle and give maximum effort. I'm sure Utah is disappointed, but I bet they show up ready to play. They're not a bunch of 4/5 star divas. I'm more worried about Texas showing up, and who is going to work with the players that lost their coaches.

I’m not saying coaches don’t coach effort. But I think as a coach you should understand that sometimes, your guys just don’t have it. Sometimes it’s during a week where maybe you’re looking ahead to a tougher opponent the following week, sometimes it’s after a high intensity loss, sometimes it’s after a bye week. It happens. If it’s never happened to you, you’re the greatest coach of all time. Teams of all levels come out flat and uninspired many times. Hell I honestly Believe it happens to EVERY team at some point during a season. Sometimes it’s in a half and eventually talent just wins out and it’s like it never happened. But I think it happens lots of times. I truly am taking nothing away from Texas for popping Georgia in the mouth. Texas came ready to play. Y’all think I’m hating but I’m not. It’s just the whole world but Texas fans see that Georgia didn’t want to be there for most of the game. Unforced errors, body language, players sitting out, lack of urgency, poor execution to even the most routine things they typically do well. That’s not ONLY because Texas popped them in the mouth. Georgia was overconfident and uninspired.

my argument has never been with you on this, it’s been with those that think motivation or lack of just doesn’t exist. Which is crazy to me that someone can follow football and not admit when they see a team that just wasn’t mentally ready to play vs a team that was. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not saying coaches don’t coach effort. But I think as a coach you should understand that sometimes, your guys just don’t have it. Sometimes it’s during a week where maybe you’re looking ahead to a tougher opponent the following week, sometimes it’s after a high intensity loss, sometimes it’s after a bye week. It happens. If it’s never happened to you, you’re the greatest coach of all time. Teams of all levels come out flat and uninspired many times. Hell I honestly Believe it happens to EVERY team at some point during a season. Sometimes it’s in a half and eventually talent just wins out and it’s like it never happened. But I think it happens lots of times. I truly am taking nothing away from Texas for popping Georgia in the mouth. Texas came ready to play. Y’all think I’m hating but I’m not. It’s just the whole world but Texas fans see that Georgia didn’t want to be there for most of the game. Unforced errors, body language, players sitting out, lack of urgency, poor execution to even the most routine things they typically do well. That’s not ONLY because Texas popped them in the mouth. Georgia was overconfident and uninspired.

my argument has never been with you on this, it’s been with those that thing motivation or lack of just doesn’t exist. Which is crazy to me that someone can follow football and not admit when they see a team that just wasn’t mentally ready to play vs a team that was. 

I know it happens. I believe in "trap" games. It doesn't mean as coaches we accept it outside of the coaches' office. That's all I'm saying. IMO it happens more often in football than other sports. Almost lost a baseball game to Palestine years ago during the first round of district. They just didn't have the talent at that time to compete with us. We ended up winning 6-5 taking the lead finally in the bottom of the 6th. Needless to say we beat them 22-0 the second round. It happens. It's hard sometimes to get players up for games that they feel should not be very competitive. I just don't like it. I'd rather win early, eat pizza, and go home.

21 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

The system can’t be changed in two weeks, but the understanding of how it’s supposed to be utilized an the actual gameplan and playcalling can.  

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’ve never tried to discredit the physicality of Texas in that game. I also think Texas played extremely well and had a good game plan. But I just don’t understand how anyone who has followed football or played the game believes it impossible for a team to enter a game overconfident or uninspired because of a lesser opponent and then ended up getting punched in the mouth for it. I don’t want to start another thread on this subject because I’ve given my views on it several times over, but I think it’s a bit naive to believe that Georgia couldn’t possibly have entered the game a little disappointed and uninspired. Many Texas fans have said for years that the thing about being Texas is that you always get the Kansas st and the Iowa st and all the wanna be teams best shot. So you clearly understand the playing inspired and upset minded approach. I also have heard many Texas fans claim during Texas losses that the team appeared flat and played uninspired and clearly some of those upset losses over the last few years were not to teams of better talent. So if Texas fans acknowledge motivation on both sides of this as in fact a part of the game, why is every Texas fan so adamant that it’s impossible that it happened in the Georgia game...

Like I said. I give all the credit to Texas for showing up ready to punch Georgia in the mouth and actually doing it. They played a great game. That doesn’t mean that Georgia couldn’t have also performed poorly because they overlooked Texas or were playing uninspired because they wanted to be elsewhere. Take your win and be proud of it. But don’t be a hypocrite about it...

You don’t want to start another thread......  three multiple paragraph posts later here we sit.  You stating one thing, then doing another. 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

17 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Exactly! I would like to hear their reasoning for the way they voted.

I don’t fault people for not listing him #1.  Chase young was just as dominant as burrow on the defensive side  but not top 3?!?

Let's take a look at this. I see 44 voters that didn't have Burrows winning it. 🙄

Heisman voting results 2019

Finish Player Pos. School Total points 1st 2nd 3rd
1. Joe Burrow QB LSU 2,608 841 41 3
2. Jalen Hurts QB Oklahoma 762 12 231 264
3. Chase Young DE Ohio State 747 6 271 187
4. Justin Fields QB Ohio State 643 20 205 173

6 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Let's take a look at this. I see 44 voters that didn't have Burrows winning it. 🙄

Heisman voting results 2019

Finish Player Pos. School Total points 1st 2nd 3rd
1. Joe Burrow QB LSU 2,608 841 41 3
2. Jalen Hurts QB Oklahoma 762 12 231 264
3. Chase Young DE Ohio State 747 6 271 187
4. Justin Fields QB Ohio State 643 20 205 173

More suprised fields winded up 4th. Being invited is a accomplishment in itself