Bowl Games

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Every game can have an impact on recruiting. No game is meaningless, in my opinion. 

Now I guess you aren’t wrong there. 

Texas went 8-5 and will pick up momentum from this and start slinging Hope like they always do. 

Oklahoma went 12-2 and it feels like a let down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red90fly said:

🤣

I don’t know what’s funny about my statement. I said it was my opinion. But it’s also a valid one that many people had. With the way Texas had played for the last two months, Utah’s defense on paper had a very good looking advantage. But that’s why the games aren’t played in paper. Solid win for Texas. 

• Stinks 1

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Every game can have an impact on recruiting. No game is meaningless, in my opinion. 

I agree no game is meaningless in terms of recruiting momentum. 

I think however some games do mean more to certain teams at certain times. I saw somewhere Georgia has something like 9 of its starting 22 sitting out the bowl game for draft purposes. You think nearly half the teams starters sitting out isn’t a reflection of how the team feels about the upcoming game? It is meaningless to them. Or at least means less than their draft stock. 

All games mean something, but it doesn’t always mean much to the entire program as a whole. I also highly doubt any recruit watches bowl games and discredits an entire season of work either. 

Also before you get your panties in a wad I’m not saying Utah didn’t care about this game. This was a good win for Texas and they earned it.

I’m just saying you can’t say that some teams don’t come in as inspired or focused as they should. Some games do mean less. Look at Georgia/Baylor where Georgia has so many starters sitting out. You think this means much to them? Or it means the same to them as it does Baylor? If it did there wouldn’t be nearly half the starters choosing to skip it. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Also before you get your panties in a wad I’m not saying Utah didn’t care about this game. This was a good win for Texas and they earned it.

I’m just saying you can’t say that some teams don’t come in as inspired or focused as they should. Some games do mean less. Look at Georgia/Baylor where Georgia has so many starters sitting out. You think this means much to them? Or it means the same to them as it does Baylor? If it did there wouldn’t be nearly half the starters choosing to skip it. 

I truly wasn’t getting wadded panties on that statement. Texas played very well last night and put it to a Utah team who should’ve been inspired and ready to show their blowout loss to Oregon in the Pac championship game was a fluke. Well, maybe it wasn’t a fluke..

Georgia should be embarrassed they can’t get their players to help the team. I understand the risk management by the players, but it’s a bad look for each of them and UGA. NFL teams see the boys sit out for selfish reasons. The players don’t think that’ll be remembered by the guys they’re hoping will draft them?.... Players have plenty of opportunities to be selfish as professionals too. They did it in college and are likely to do it in the pros too. That will be part of their evaluation whether they or we as fans want to admit it or not.

Posted something for you in the Zach Evans thread too.

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I truly wasn’t getting wadded panties on that statement. Texas played very well last night and put it to a Utah team who should’ve been inspired and ready to show their blowout loss to Oregon in the Pac championship game was a fluke. Well, maybe it wasn’t a fluke..

Georgia should be embarrassed they can’t get their players to help the team. I understand the risk management by the players, but it’s a bad look for each of them and UGA. NFL teams see the boys sit out for selfish reasons. The players don’t think that’ll be remembered by the guys they’re hoping will draft them?.... Players have plenty of opportunities to be selfish as professionals too. They did it in college and are likely to do it in the pros too. That will be part of their evaluation whether they or we as fans want to admit it or not.

Posted something for you in the Zach Evans thread too.

Oh I agree I hate to see this, but I think Georgia uses bowl games that aren’t the playoffs as extended spring ball. They encourage those leaving to sit and get work for the younger guys and protect the ones going pro. The bowl games are more about the future than selling out to win. I can somewhat agree with the approach but I don’t like basically conceding a loss either. 

44 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Oh I agree I hate to see this, but I think Georgia uses bowl games that aren’t the playoffs as extended spring ball. They encourage those leaving to sit and get work for the younger guys and protect the ones going pro. The bowl games are more about the future than selling out to win. I can somewhat agree with the approach but I don’t like basically conceding a loss either. 

Yeah, it’s kind of a different approach from UGA if they do want to get some work for younger players. 
I think it can be a negative for the team’s future. So, UGA is in a prestigious bowl game again this year and winning it would be a good springboard for 2020 and leave a positive taste for their fans. I think conceding a game in high school for player development in non-district games can be a good thing. I do not think conceding games in college is ever a good thing, especially in the last game of the season. 
It hurts recruiting, no doubt, and if you’re advocating players sitting out for their NFL futures you are basically telling all recruits that there are more important things than your football program and when they get to that point they’re almost expected to ditch their team for personal benefit (which in my opinion they are hurting their draft stock by making sure they stay healthy for the draft).

17 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yeah, it’s kind of a different approach from UGA if they do want to get some work for younger players. 
I think it can be a negative for the team’s future. So, UGA is in a prestigious bowl game again this year and winning it would be a good springboard for 2020 and leave a positive taste for their fans. I think conceding a game in high school for player development in non-district games can be a good thing. I do not think conceding games in college is ever a good thing, especially in the last game of the season. 
It hurts recruiting, no doubt, and if you’re advocating players sitting out for their NFL futures you are basically telling all recruits that there are more important things than your football program and when they get to that point they’re almost expected to ditch their team for personal benefit (which in my opinion they are hurting their draft stock by making sure they stay healthy for the draft).

I’m not sure how much it really helps or hurts recruiting. Maybe for unproven teams getting an upset, but there’s not much to gain or lose for Georgia last year vs Texas or this year vs Baylor. They are already recruiting at a top 5 level, most of this class is already signed, and next years class will forget all about a loss in a bowl when Georgia is sitting at 10+ Wins in the regular season again. In fact, I think lots of recruits look at Georgia’s players sitting out and think of bowl games as a positive. They see that the coach respects their individual careers enough to get them to sit out while also younger players getting a chance to get lots of extra work in before the following season. 

The truth is, results don’t mean as much to recruits as we as fans like to believe. Many other factors determine these kids choices. 

2 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The Texas buttwhuppin of Utah also exposes just how weak the PAC 12 really is .... USC will might not crack the top 10 in the ESPN preseason poll this year ... 😂

I said it before the Oregon game, Utah and the pac 12 is just so weak. Oregon only had 2 ranked wins all season including the pac 12 title. Utah had zero ranked wins. They both were unproven and just walked through a horribly weak conference. I think the big 12 is much better. At least from a competitive depth standpoint.