Bowl Games

19 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The Texas buttwhuppin of Utah also exposes just how weak the PAC 12 really is .... USC will might not crack the top 10 in the ESPN preseason poll this year ... 😂

Texas might though which is happens just as much lol.

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not sure how much it really helps or hurts recruiting. Maybe for unproven teams getting an upset, but there’s not much to gain or lose for Georgia last year vs Texas or this year vs Baylor. They are already recruiting at a top 5 level, most of this class is already signed, and next years class will forget all about a loss in a bowl when Georgia is sitting at 10+ Wins in the regular season again. In fact, I think lots of recruits look at Georgia’s players sitting out and think of bowl games as a positive. They see that the coach respects their individual careers enough to get them to sit out while also younger players getting a chance to get lots of extra work in before the following season. 

The truth is, results don’t mean as much to recruits as we as fans like to believe. Many other factors determine these kids choices. 

Well, I think that may be accurate. If I were a big time football recruit there’d be a lot more going into my decision than if somebody won their bowl game. I hear that point of view.

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

Also before you get your panties in a wad I’m not saying Utah didn’t care about this game. This was a good win for Texas and they earned it.

I’m just saying you can’t say that some teams don’t come in as inspired or focused as they should. Some games do mean less. Look at Georgia/Baylor where Georgia has so many starters sitting out. You think this means much to them? Or it means the same to them as it does Baylor? If it did there wouldn’t be nearly half the starters choosing to skip it. 

This I can see. They go from having a shot at the playoff to the Alamo bowl. I don’t care what anyone says, that has to take some wind out of the sails. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

I agree no game is meaningless in terms of recruiting momentum. 

I think however some games do mean more to certain teams at certain times. I saw somewhere Georgia has something like 9 of its starting 22 sitting out the bowl game for draft purposes. You think nearly half the teams starters sitting out isn’t a reflection of how the team feels about the upcoming game? It is meaningless to them. Or at least means less than their draft stock. 

All games mean something, but it doesn’t always mean much to the entire program as a whole. I also highly doubt any recruit watches bowl games and discredits an entire season of work either. 

As of last night, Georgia will have 13 players not participating in the game. Six are actual starters - 3 on offense and 3 on defense. What we know is only two have stated it's due to the NFL, one ineligible due to academics, and four out due to injury. We don't know what the six "undisclosed" are sitting for and that is concerning to me as a fan. I used to get upset about guys sitting out bowl games but I don't any longer. I due think a player's reason for sitting should be announced. I'm even okay with the the generic broke team rules, but I'm not a fan of undisclosed. 

• OL Ben Cleveland (academics), 13 games
  • OL Andrew Thomas (NFL training), 13
  • OL Isaiah Wilson (NFL training), 11
  • OL D’Marcus Hayes (undisclosed), 6
  • RB Brian Herrien (undisclosed), 12
  • WR Lawrence Cager (ankle injury), 9
  • WR Dominick Blaylock (knee injury), 12
  • DB J.R. Reed (foot injury), 13
  • DB Divaad Wilson (undisclosed), 13
  • DL Tyler Clark (undisclosed), 13
  • OLB Walter Grant (concussion), 12
  • ILB Quay Walker (undisclosed), 13
  • DB Tyrique McGhee (undisclosed), 9

From the post game presser last night:

Malcolm Roach - (paraphrased) "We basically put in a whole new defense in 8 practices."

In regards to players sitting for Georgia affecting recruits. IMO it does not hurt Georgia because of the program they have built. The coach can simply point out the number of players that are playing in the NFL which is the ultimate goal of most of the top recruits. It actually shows that Georgia is going to put the player's potential future earnings ahead of their own program. It would be very interesting to see who would sit if they had made the playoffs.

Also... Utah is not Georgia. Those kids weren't down from not making the playoffs and playing in a "meaningless" bowl game. They were overwhelmed to some extent early because they couldn't control the defensive front of Texas. The QB for Utah was tucking the ball early at times before WRs were even out of their routes. He was probably surprised that he couldn't simply outrun the Texas defense like he has others all year. And it was basically a home game for Texas.

I was pleased with the outcome of the game. Texas was a 7 point underdog and put a beat down on a team that was one win away from most likely getting embarrassed by LSU in a playoff game. Pretty sure no one expected that type of domination from the Longhorns.

53 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

From the post game presser last night:

Malcolm Roach - (paraphrased) "We basically put in a whole new defense in 8 practices."

In regards to players sitting for Georgia affecting recruits. IMO it does not hurt Georgia because of the program they have built. The coach can simply point out the number of players that are playing in the NFL which is the ultimate goal of most of the top recruits. It actually shows that Georgia is going to put the player's potential future earnings ahead of their own program. It would be very interesting to see who would sit if they had made the playoffs.

Also... Utah is not Georgia. Those kids weren't down from not making the playoffs and playing in a "meaningless" bowl game. They were overwhelmed to some extent early because they couldn't control the defensive front of Texas. The QB for Utah was tucking the ball early at times before WRs were even out of their routes. He was probably surprised that he couldn't simply outrun the Texas defense like he has others all year. And it was basically a home game for Texas.

I was pleased with the outcome of the game. Texas was a 7 point underdog and put a beat down on a team that was one win away from most likely getting embarrassed by LSU in a playoff game. Pretty sure no one expected that type of domination from the Longhorns.

I agree with everything said. Utah isn’t Georgia and cape ready to play, Texas was just a much more talented team and it showed. Utah can play with the Arizona’s and Colorado’s of the world with that talent, but a team with the pure athleticism Texas has will give them major problems all day. 

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

As of last night, Georgia will have 13 players not participating in the game. Six are actual starters - 3 on offense and 3 on defense. What we know is only two have stated it's due to the NFL, one ineligible due to academics, and four out due to injury. We don't know what the six "undisclosed" are sitting for and that is concerning to me as a fan. I used to get upset about guys sitting out bowl games but I don't any longer. I due think a player's reason for sitting should be announced. I'm even okay with the the generic broke team rules, but I'm not a fan of undisclosed. 

• OL Ben Cleveland (academics), 13 games
  • OL Andrew Thomas (NFL training), 13
  • OL Isaiah Wilson (NFL training), 11
  • OL D’Marcus Hayes (undisclosed), 6
  • RB Brian Herrien (undisclosed), 12
  • WR Lawrence Cager (ankle injury), 9
  • WR Dominick Blaylock (knee injury), 12
  • DB J.R. Reed (foot injury), 13
  • DB Divaad Wilson (undisclosed), 13
  • DL Tyler Clark (undisclosed), 13
  • OLB Walter Grant (concussion), 12
  • ILB Quay Walker (undisclosed), 13
  • DB Tyrique McGhee (undisclosed), 9

6 starters is rough. I thought I saw somewhere where there was 9 but even 6 is enough to change a game. Especially the Oline starters. 

I hope Baylor puts it on them. 

56 minutes ago, WETSU said:

6 starters is rough. I thought I saw somewhere where there was 9 but even 6 is enough to change a game. Especially the Oline starters. 

I hope Baylor puts it on them. 

Me too!! Haha! Not pulling for Baylor because they’re a Big 12 team, but because they’re a Texas team.

Sic ‘em Bears!

20 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

The fighting Harbaughs came to play so far. 

Michigan is winning the battle on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. BAMA only has one sustained drive. BAMA defense not showing up till they get in the red zone. 

14 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Michigan is winning the battle on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. BAMA only has one sustained drive. BAMA defense not showing up till they get in the red zone. 

The bama players that are sitting out could’ve made this game a lot different

51 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The bama players that are sitting out could’ve made this game a lot different

As bad as the BAMA defense looked in the first half, they have pitched a shutout in the second half, and held Michigan to one TD on the day. Not bad, and a lot of those kids will be back. 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

As bad as the BAMA defense looked in the first half, they have pitched a shutout in the second half, and held Michigan to one TD on the day. Not bad, and a lot of those kids will be back. 

Did you hear Saban's remarks before the half about them not playing their assignments? He was mad... You can tell they've made the proper adjustments in the second half. That's why he's the best. Or top 2 at the very least. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Michigan isn’t a great team though.  If Bama had all their weapons it’s a 40 point blowout

24 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Michigan isn’t a great team though.  If Bama had all their weapons it’s a 40 point blowout

Weren’t really missing a lot of weapons. OLB Terrell Lewis and CB Trevon Diggs were the only guys that didn’t play. Of course Tua’s out, but if he doesn’t get hurt, they’re in a much better bowl game at least, if not in the CFP. BAMA just didn’t play well in the first half. Good job of turning things around in the second half. 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Weren’t really missing a lot of weapons. OLB Terrell Lewis and CB Trevon Diggs were the only guys that didn’t play. Of course Tua’s out, but if he doesn’t get hurt, they’re in a much better bowl game at least, if not in the CFP. BAMA just didn’t play well in the first half. Good job of turning things around in the second half. 

They had a RB sitting out too right?