The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nacdragon07

High school football program of the decade

ADBD934D-9A4D-4119-B448-8677485AF528.jpeg

• Like 1

That is DCTF’s ranking of programs over the past six years not the past decade, but worth discussion.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That is DCTF’s ranking of programs over the past six years not the past decade, but worth discussion.

6 years is kind of a strange time frame. But can’t argue with the list. Carthage had a 6-6 season in there in 2014. So that’s going to drop them in the list even thought they are 70-7 with 2 regional titles and 3 state titles the other 5 years. 

I guess 14’ and 15’ are Surratt’s only really rebuilding years. 15’ went on a hell of a playoff run, but that team overachieved. Those 2 years are probably the best coaching Surratt has done. A lot of teams go 1-9 in 2014, losing all those 3 year starters from 13’, and the crazy amount of injuries that year. Plus one of the toughest schedules in the state. By the time Carthage played El Campo in the 2nd round if the playoffs I think Carthage had lost like 9-10 starters. 

16 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

6 years is kind of a strange time frame. But can’t argue with the list. Carthage had a 6-6 season in there in 2014. So that’s going to drop them in the list even thought they are 70-7 with 2 regional titles and 3 state titles the other 5 years. 

I guess 14’ and 15’ are Surratt’s only really rebuilding years. 15’ went on a hell of a playoff run, but that team overachieved. Those 2 years are probably the best coaching Surratt has done. A lot of teams go 1-9 in 2014, losing all those 3 year starters from 13’, and the crazy amount of injuries that year. Plus one of the toughest schedules in the state. By the time Carthage played El Campo in the 2nd round if the playoffs I think Carthage had lost like 9-10 starters. 

All good points.

Until we get ten years removed from 2014 that 6-6 season will haunt Carthage in any of these top programs rankings by any publication. Just the way it is.

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Until we get ten years removed from 2014 that 6-6 season will haunt Carthage in any of these top programs rankings by any publication. Just the way it is.

I’m not saying at all Carthage is going to go 6-6 this year, but this year is going to be very similar to 2014 with what’s returning and what was lost. Lost 32 seniors and the senior class had been big contributors on Varsity for 3 years. But there is more coming back with some OL, QB, RB, and WR. Defense is going to be where Carthage is gonna have to find some dudes. But the difference I think from those years is stacked classes coming up. In 14’ Carthage was kind of waiting on the freshman class. That was the next great class, and they proved it. 

On 12/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, playactionpass39 said:

Have to include WOS in the conversation, don't you?

yep looks like it records don't lie 

Some other DCTF rankings.  It includes a few ET teams.  You can find these from their channel on YT.

Team of the Year

6A: Galena Park North Shore
5A: Pflugerville Weiss
4A: Carthage
3A: Pottsboro
2A: Hamlin
1A: Blackwell

Top Offenses

10.  Highland Park - 52.6
9.  San Saba - 53.0
8.  Red Oak - 53.3
7.  Midland Lee - 53.6
6.  Corpus Christi Miller - 54.1
5.  McKinney North - 54.1
4.  Shiner - 55.6
3.  Panhandle - 55.7
2.  San Augustine - 57.6
1.  Humble Atasocita - 57.7

Top Defenses

10.  Duncanville - 9.8
9.  Lindsay - 9.7
8.  Alto - 9.2
7.  Austin Westlake - 9.0
6.  Ralls - 8.5
5.  Austin LBJ - 8.5
4.  East Bernard - 8.5
3.  Cy-Fair - 8.0
2.  San Saba - 7.0
1.  Diboll - 5.0

thanks for the info---didn't know it would be under team of the decade since Campbell only included 6 years---see I can read

13 minutes ago, darktower said:

thanks for the info---didn't know it would be under team of the decade since Campbell only included 6 years---see I can read

No problem bud. Aledo and RS are impressive

yes still think Surratt is best coach in state and that carthage will climb the overall rank over next couple of years but that top 10 overall list is very impressive.. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:02 PM, Champ1000 said:

No problem bud. Aledo and RS are impressive

I was looking at some info and it dawned on me that Aledo is one win away from 7 consecutive state title appearances ('13-'19). In 2015 we lost in the semifinals to Lake Ridge who also beat John Tyler and Longview during their playoff run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aledo said:

I was looking at some info and it dawned on me that Aledo is one win away from 7 consecutive state title appearances ('13-'19). In 2015 we lost in the semifinals to Lake Ridge who also beat John Tyler and Longview during their playoff run. 

Impressive...👌😋

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 9:47 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree 100%, coming in second place to that; we’ll take it! Hopefully the Dawgs can keep chasing and keep the pressure up by winning as many state titles as often as possible.

Maybe we can catch them one day and be number 1!

Go Dawgs!

I think the two teams that have the best chance to win a title next season are Carthage and Mart. So I wouldnt worry about keeping up lol. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:17 PM, regaleagle said:

Highland Park is the closest......Aledo not even on the radar in that type of accolade.

I know Argyle has won 8 Lone Star Cups in a row (ridiculous) but Aledo has finished top 10 every year but one in that same time frame. Personally, I would say we are on the radar. We may be barely visible but you can still see us.  

2011-2012: 8th

2012-2013: 4th

2013-2014: 3rd

2014-2015: 2nd

2015-2016: 12th

2016-2017: 4th

2017-2018: 4th

2018-2019: 7th

2019-2020: Currently 4th

On 1/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, Aledo said:

Quarterback Legacy at Aledo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGqfaWmNTE

On 1/25/2020 at 9:10 PM, Aledo said:

Lake Ridge came down to Htown and got embarrassed at State by George Ranch. Aledo vs GR would've been a way better game. I left at the half thinking: no way THIS was the team that got out of that region. 

2 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Lake Ridge came down to Htown and got embarrassed at State by George Ranch. Aledo vs GR would've been a way better game. I left at the half thinking: no way THIS was the team that got out of that region. 

Lake Ridge was very beat up by the time they got to state. LR beat John Tyler, Poteet, Longview, and Aledo. They just didnt have any gas left in the tank. Plus George Ranch was a very good team themselves! I think the RB ended up at TCU and is a good player at the NCAA level. Very possible Aledo also gets blown out that year too. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

They were without their starting qb and both running backs. 

• Like 1

how old a school is Carthage

1 hour ago, powerlifter said:

Way old. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, powerlifter said:

First football season was in 1924. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:12 PM, dfwfootballfan said:

Aledo hands down based on the fact that they have won 7 of the last 10 championships ('09, '10, '11, '13, '14, '16, '18) in their classification, played in the championship in '17 (lost to College Station) .  They have been in the semi-finals or better 13 of the last 16 seasons I believe.

Maybe not hands down, but definitely by a good margin, since the 2010 season and not including this season

Carthage 110-22 with 4 championships - avg 11 wins a season against 2.2 losses

2010       C--      14-2-0
2011       R          9-4-0
2012       C--      11-3-0
2013       C--      15-1-0
2014      CO         6-6-0
2015      CO       12-3-0
2016      TH--     13-2-0
2017       C--      16-0-0
2018       C--      14-1-0

Aledo 131-8 with 6 championships - avg 13.1 wins a season against .08 losses

2010      C--         16-0-0
2011      C--         14-2-0
2012      C--         10-2-0
2013      C--         16-0-0
2014      C--         15-1-0
2015      C--         13-2-0
2016      C--         16-0-0
2017      C--         15-1-0
2018      C--         16-0-0

Both programs have a lot to be proud of.  Both programs are not afraid to play up clssifications or divisions for competition in regular season either.

One thing to add

Aledo has played in 55 out of 60 possible playoff games since 2010 (91%)

Carthage has played in 49 out of 59 possible playoff games since 2010 (83%)

Another thing to consider withe exception of 2010 Carthage has been one of the smallest schools in it's division vs aledo one of the biggest