Garrisons new AD

Sneakyleaky

I’ve heard the same thing, locally, but the details are not clear.  I’ve heard he was looking to move on somewhere else and the school offered him one of the lower school administration jobs(elementary principal ,etc...).

We will not know for sure until he or the school makes it official if they have not already.

2 hours ago, HulaKat said:

I’ve heard the same thing, locally, but the details are not clear.  I’ve heard he was looking to move on somewhere else and the school offered him one of the lower school administration jobs(elementary principal ,etc...).

We will not know for sure until he or the school makes it official if they have not already.

They need to clean house and start over with a proven AD/HC and let him bring in his own people ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

3 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Unbelievably bad hire from the start.  Garrison should be able to attract some top people from proven programs ...

You don’t know enough about the situations at Bandera or Dawson to be able to make a call like that, that much has been established by previous conversations on this site.  Prince is a good coach and a good man, and doesn’t deserve any slander from you, or anyone else.

Garrison has some studs moving up in the ranks.  Should be good next year and then really really good after that, whoever gets the job has a chance to do good things, if the school board will let the AD/HC do his job.  Win one title 15+ years ago and suddenly Garrison deserves to be playing in December every year.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Bulldog64 said:

You don’t know enough about the situations at Bandera or Dawson to be able to make a call like that, that much has been established by previous conversations on this site.  Prince is a good coach and a good man, and doesn’t deserve any slander from you, or anyone else.

Garrison has some studs moving up in the ranks.  Should be good next year and then really really good after that, whoever gets the job has a chance to do good things, if the school board will let the AD/HC do his job.  Win one title 15+ years ago and suddenly Garrison deserves to be playing in December every year.

I know enough to know he wasn't even close to the best qualified applicant for the job .... Not slandering anyone, I'm sure he is a good man, I have my doubts about the good AD/HC part .... just not a good fit for Garrison.  I wish him well in whatever is next for him ... Garrison has a rich tradition of top notch football, just not once 15+ years ago, if you knew the history, you would know that ... we have one of the highest all-time winning percentage in the state .... 

I agree with the rest of your post ...

19 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I know enough to know he wasn't even close to the best qualified applicant for the job .... Not slandering anyone, I'm sure he is a good man, I have my doubts about the good AD/HC part .... just not a good fit for Garrison.  I wish him well in whatever is next for him ... Garrison has a rich tradition of top notch football, just not once 15+ years ago, if you knew the history, you would know that ... we have one of the highest all-time winning percentage in the state .... 

I agree with the rest of your post ...

Not the best candidate according to what though? Pretty sure the applicants were mostly up and coming coordinators.  Also nobody will ever be a good fit for Garrison until the school board changes its agenda.  They’re the reason for the revolving door of coaches.  And if anyone would have been a good fit, it’s him.  He’s from here, grew up his entire life in Garrison, wants to stay here, loves the town and it’s people, and coaches a hard nosed style of football.  Sure it’s run out of the shotgun (I know that will probably be your first argument), but it’s hard nosed, physical football.  That’s the best fit you’re gonna get.  Aaaannnd, he’s a really good Xs and Os mind, has a good record at Garrison, this year was just not good, but it’s hard when you’re decimated with injuries and coming off of losing 14 seniors that all played a lot.

yes, I know Garrison is traditionally a good football school.  But the attitude towards coaches DRASTICALLY changed after Thompson (with Prince calling games as the DC, mind you), brought home the title with the best group of athletes Garrison has ever had.  Ever since then expectations have been unrealistic.

14 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

Not the best candidate according to what though? Pretty sure the applicants were mostly up and coming coordinators.  Also nobody will ever be a good fit for Garrison until the school board changes its agenda.  They’re the reason for the revolving door of coaches.  And if anyone would have been a good fit, it’s him.  He’s from here, grew up his entire life in Garrison, wants to stay here, loves the town and it’s people, and coaches a hard nosed style of football.  Sure it’s run out of the shotgun (I know that will probably be your first argument), but it’s hard nosed, physical football.  That’s the best fit you’re gonna get.  Aaaannnd, he’s a really good Xs and Os mind, has a good record at Garrison, this year was just not good, but it’s hard when you’re decimated with injuries and coming off of losing 14 seniors that all played a lot.

yes, I know Garrison is traditionally a good football school.  But the attitude towards coaches DRASTICALLY changed after Thompson (with Prince calling games as the DC, mind you), brought home the title with the best group of athletes Garrison has ever had.  Ever since then expectations have been unrealistic.

If you think there weren't far more qualified candidates for the job, you don't know much about who applied.  The school board agenda is the reason they didn't hire any of the top candidates.  Yes, the school board needs to hire the best qualified person, not the hometown guy just because he applied.   I am from here too and I know he's from Garrison, you aren't telling me anything I don't know ... I grew up here too ... I understand him wanting to come to Garrison, but like you said, the expectations are high in Garrison.  Also, I have no problem with the spread offense, or any offense that you have the personnel to run successfully ... I think the OC didn't match his offense to the personnel he had ... and it looked like nobody was willing to change anything ... surprised Porter wasn't injured the way he was used ... they might as well have had the PA announcer call the plays because everybody knew the direct snap to Porter was coming, over and over and over   .... I also understand the injuries had a lot to do with the season as well ...

It's time to move on and start from scratch ....

17 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

If you think there weren't far more qualified candidates for the job, you don't know much about who applied.  The school board agenda is the reason they didn't hire any of the top candidates.  Yes, the school board needs to hire the best qualified person, not the hometown guy just because he applied.   I am from here too and I know he's from Garrison, you aren't telling me anything I don't know ... I grew up here too ... I understand him wanting to come to Garrison, but like you said, the expectations are high in Garrison.  Also, I have no problem with the spread offense, or any offense that you have the personnel to run successfully ... I think the OC didn't match his offense to the personnel he had ... and it looked like nobody was willing to change anything ... surprised Porter wasn't injured the way he was used ... they might as well have had the PA announcer call the plays because everybody knew the direct snap to Porter was coming, over and over and over   .... I also understand the injuries had a lot to do with the season as well ...

It's time to move on and start from scratch ....

I don’t know who applied, you’re right, but do you?

But I believe your original statement was that it was an unbelievably bad hire.  Still waiting on an answer to that one too.

lol yeah, that’s great, typically the defense knows that the person who lines up where the quarterback typically lines up is gonna get the ball when it’s snapped, I’m not sure what your point is😂. When Porter is lined up behind the center he’s gonna get the ball snapped to him, just like when Rodriguez, Atkinson, or Bland lined up there.  I’m not going over this with you again, though.  So either learn it, or drop it, but there were multiple plays we ran with Sebastion at Q, each one of them blocked differently, and therefore required being DEFENDED DIFFERENTLY.  Just because you can say, “he’s gonna run the ball” doesn’t mean you can predict the play and have suddenly become a football guru.  It means you’re right there with most Americans who have an average or slightly below average football IQ. 
What offense are you gonna run with a banged up, small offensive line, and no quarterback?  There’s not one.  

8 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

With fans like you coaches should beware of this job.  

Man, it’s the entirety of Garrison.  Expectations are unrealistic year in and year out, and everyone in the stands knows more than the coaches, really gets into the players’ heads to be honest.  They’re taught conflicting things at home and on the practice field.  At home they’re taught that the coaches are idiots, on the field they’re taught to listen to the coaches.  Makes it hard for 16 and 17 year olds.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, GTown12 said:

Not a accurate statement at all! 

Sure, that’s not a universally true statement.  There are for sure people out there who support the coaches, but there are also quite a lot of people who absolutely bash to coaches in front of the kids.

13 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

I don’t know who applied, you’re right, but do you?

But I believe your original statement was that it was an unbelievably bad hire.  Still waiting on an answer to that one too.

lol yeah, that’s great, typically the defense knows that the person who lines up where the quarterback lines up is gonna get the ball when it’s snapped, I’m not sure what your point is😂. When Porter is lined up behind the center he’s gonna get the ball snapped to him, just like when Rodriguez, Atkinson, or Bland lined up there.  I’m not going over this with you again, though.  So either learn it, or drop it, but there were multiple plays we ran with Sebastion at Q.  Just because you can say, “he’s gonna run the ball” doesn’t mean you can predict the play and have suddenly become a football guru.  It means you’re right there with most Americans who have an average or slightly below average football IQ.  What personnel are you gonna run with a banged up, small offensive line, and no quarterback?  There’s not one.  

I can tell you, there were some top people from larger schools that applied ... I believe it was a bad hire because there were several far more qualified and successful applicants that were passed over ... 

Yea, the ball is always snapped to SOMEONE ... glad you understand that ... the person taking the snap always starts the play and generally the ball is passed or handed off to someone else .... many times with deception involving several other players .... not the case 90% of the time when it was snapped to Porter ... everyone knows they were banged up and thin on the line .... that's probably the best reason not to run the direct snap to Porter all the time .... If they were going to run Porter 90% of the time, they would have been better off doing it from an I formation with Rodriguez as a lead blocker .... you don't have to go over anything with me, I understand football probably better than most people .... so if you can't deal with that, they you can drop it ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I can tell you, there were some top people from larger schools that applied ... I believe it was a bad hire because there were several far more qualified and successful applicants that were passed over ... 

Yea, the ball is always snapped to SOMEONE ... glad you understand that ... the person taking the snap always starts the play and generally the ball is passed of handed off to someone else .... many times with deception involving several other players .... not the case 90% of the time when it was snapped to Porter ... everyone knows they were banged up and thin on the line .... that's probably the best reason not to run the direct snap to Porter all the time .... If they were going to run Porter 90% of the time, they would have been better off doing it from an I formation with Rodriguez as a lead blocker .... you don't have to go over anything with me, I understand football probably better than most people .... so if you can't deal with that, they you can drop it ...

Successful is a pretty subjective term in high school sports.  Coaching Dawson to winning a game (or their first offensive touchdown in a season and a half before he got there) is pretty successful based on the talent they had there at the time.
If you run a direct snap you add a blocker because the “quarterback” is now running the ball, and you gain the half back as a 10th blocker.  Best argument to do it, in my opinion. You’ve gotta at least see my point, right?

But let me get this straight, your argument with a weak offensive line is to not maximize the amount of players you have blocking, but to actually take away blockers so they can be used as decoys?  Cool.  It might not be the worst strategy against teams that key on the backfield, but the only team we played this year that did that is SA, the other 9 keyed the offensive line.  Also the deception you talk about isn’t near as common as you make it sound.  Slot t teams and some wing t teams use eye candy.  That’s about it.  Watch an NFL game, or most colleges, or most high schools, not a lot of them using eye candy anymore.

you then argue for going I formation, with a weak offensive line, which requires an arguably more stout offensive line than the wing t variant Garrison ran out of the gun this year.  The shotgun is better imo because if gives Porter a little more flexibility to dodge people who gain penetration

And Rodriguez was used as a lead blocker most plays. On that, you and I wholeheartedly agree.

19 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

Man, it’s the entirety of Garrison.  Expectations are unrealistic year in and year out, and everyone in the stands knows more than the coaches, really gets into the players’ heads to be honest.  They’re taught conflicting things at home and on the practice field.  At home they’re taught that the coaches are idiots, on the field they’re taught to listen to the coaches.  Makes it hard for 16 and 17 year olds.

So this is based off of 1 fan who didn’t even have a kid on the team and I agree that 1 person is a terrible fan to have in the stands but that comes with the game. Garrison will be a great place for some coach to come and be successful really fast! Are expectations high? Yes they are we expect the best for students at whatever they do but they aren’t unrealistic. 

7 minutes ago, GTown12 said:

So this is based off of 1 fan who didn’t even have a kid on the team and I agree that 1 person is a terrible fan to have in the stands but that comes with the game. Garrison will be a great place for some coach to come and be successful really fast! Are expectations high? Yes they are we expect the best for students at whatever they do but they aren’t unrealistic. 

Listen, I’m sorry if I offended you, I’m sure you’re a great fan who supports the coaches, offense was not my intent.  But, this is based on me sitting in the stands listening to some parents, and just some Garrison people in general who interact with the players a lot.  It’s toxic and harmful to the players to have them taught that their coaches aren’t doing whats best for them, if it’s untrue, which in this case it was.  I heard parents during the Timpson game telling a group of a few players that the coaches don’t love them or care about them.  That’s not good, and not true.  Those coaches would do anything for any one of the kids.  Guess it doesn’t matter now though.

9 hours ago, Bulldog64 said:

Successful is a pretty subjective term in high school sports.  Coaching Dawson to winning a game (or their first offensive touchdown in a season and a half before he got there) is pretty successful based on the talent they had there at the time.
If you run a direct snap you add a blocker because the “quarterback” is now running the ball, and you gain the half back as a 10th blocker.  Best argument to do it, in my opinion. You’ve gotta at least see my point, right?

But let me get this straight, your argument with a weak offensive line is to not maximize the amount of players you have blocking, but to actually take away blockers so they can be used as decoys?  Cool.  It might not be the worst strategy against teams that key on the backfield, but the only team we played this year that did that is SA, the other 9 keyed the offensive line.  Also the deception you talk about isn’t near as common as you make it sound.  Slot t teams and some wing t teams use eye candy.  That’s about it.  Watch an NFL game, or most colleges, or most high schools, not a lot of them using eye candy anymore.

you then argue for going I formation, with a weak offensive line, which requires an arguably more stout offensive line than the wing t variant Garrison ran out of the gun this year.  The shotgun is better imo because if gives Porter a little more flexibility to dodge people who gain penetration

And Rodriguez was used as a lead blocker most plays. On that, you and I wholeheartedly agree.

Most of the time Porter took the snap and danced around for a couple of seconds looking for a non existant hole to run through which gave the defense time to collapse in on him from all sides.  Running a two back offense with a lead blocker and a wingback to give the defense more to defend and I believe would have been more effective.  We can argue back and forth forever, we probably will never agree.  Taking a direct snap and dancing around looking for a hole with the defense keying on you in my opinion, with a weak offensive line, plays into the defense's hands and is probably one of the worst strategies there is ... again, we obviously aren't going to agree.  The vast majority of their passes were slow developing, low percentage, 30-40 yard passes down field, with a very few passes straight out to the sidelines to a receiver hoping he can break a tackle.  Has the OC even heard of a quick slant, a tight end dragging over the middle behind the linebackers, or a back over the middle?  Shorter, quicker, passes 5-15 yards downfield would have been more effective.   The QBs didn't have time to throw those slow developing pass players, yet they continued to try them, until the last couple of games.  

Like I said, we obviously aren't going to agree, you have your football philosophy and I have mine.  I wish Larry Prince well and hope he succeeds wherever he goes.  It's time to move on ...

9 hours ago, Greezychef said:

You mean like the district championship yall had 2 years ago under Coach Prince?

I'm done with this topic.   Garrison fans make Tenaha fans look completely sane and old Kirt is leading the charge. 

If you really wanted to help your school you'd realize you probably need to shut the ### up.   

You are just teed off because Tennyhaw had to play with the big boys after realignment instead of playing pee wee football against weaker competition ... lol

36 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

You are just teed off because Tennyhaw had to play with the big boys after realignment instead of playing pee wee football against weaker competition ... lol

You do realize that, over the two year span you’re talking about, Tenaha won one more playoff game than Garrison did, right?