🏆2019 3A-D2 state championship Gunter Tigers vs Paul Pewitt Brahmas🏆

BoyzNdaHood

🏆 Gunter vs Paul pewitt 3A-D2 state championship🏆  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who's 2019 3A-D2 state champs

• Gunter Tigers
    • Paul Pewitt Brahmas

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 01:00 AM

Overall, Pewitt is scoring 42.8 points per game against defenses that allow 26.6 points per game.  Pewitt's offenses is swinging games by +16.2 points per game.  Gunter is scoring 37.8 ppg against defenses that allow just 19.5 ppg, so their offensive swing is +18.3 ppg.

Pewitt is allowing 21.7 points per game to offenses that score 29.6 ppg on average, so a defensive swing of +7.9.  Gunter is holding teams that score 31.5 ppg to just 11.1 ppg, so a +20.4 defensive swing. 

Overall, Gunter's swing is +38.7 to Pewitt's +24.1.  On paper, Gunter has a slightly better offense, and a clear advantage on defense.  

Gunter has had the tougher schedule - particularly in facing much better defenses throughout the season.  Of the 15 opponents Gunter has faced, 12 of them hold teams to 21 or fewer points per game.  Only 5 Pewitt opponents fit that criteria.  Those 12 Gunter opponents give up 15.6 ppg on average, and Gunter scores 34.5 ppg against these opponents.  The 5 sub 21 defenses Pewitt has faced hold teams to an average of 15.3 points and Pewitt scores 38.5 ppg against these defenses.  A small sample size, but Pewitt gets the offensive advantage against quality defenses with an offensive swing in these games of +23.2 to Gunter's +18.9.

Both Gunter and Pewitt have faced 9 offenses that score 30 or more points on average.  These 9 opponents for Gunter average 40.9 ppg and Gunter holds these teams to 14 points per game.  The 9 Pewitt opponents with quality offenses average 35.7 ppg and Pewitt holds these teams to 27.1 ppg.  Gunter holds a significant advantage again with their defensive swinging quality offenses by +26.9 points to Pewitt's +8.6. 

In other words, against quality defenses, Pewitt's offense has been 4.3 points better than Gunter's.  Against quality offenses, Gunter's defense has been 18.3 points better than Pewitt's.  So, only considering these quality opponents, Gunter has been 14.3 points better than Pewitt. 

Also worth noting is that Pewitt's defense would not be included as a quality defense because they are allowing slightly more than 21 points per game, so it is a little unfair to compare how Gunter and Pewitt do against defenses that hold opponents to fewer than 21 points per game on average when Pewitt's defense doesn't do that. 

The prediction :

Gunter 35

Pewitt 25

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

What is Gunter’s playoff history?  I only know of them losing to Pewitt in 2010. Not trying to knock them. I’m just curious. Smirky doesn’t have them in his historical section. 

Since 1986, Gunter has the third best record in the state among teams currently in 3AD2.  Only Newton and Canadian have better records.

Gunter has made the playoffs every year since 1999 (21 consecutive years), and in the past 10 years, their playoff record is 30-8.  They have been in the state semi-final 4 consecutive years and the state champion ship 3 of the last 4 years with one state championship in 2016, and possible second next week.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

What is Gunter’s playoff history?  I only know of them losing to Pewitt in 2010. Not trying to knock them. I’m just curious. Smirky doesn’t have them in his historical section. 

Gunter has a great program year in and year out. Very humble fan base also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBigBlue said:

Gunter goes deep in the playoffs almost every year. They won 2016 and played newton 2017, lost to Canadian in the semis 2018 and going to state 2019. There’s 4 years off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, Pax said:

Overall, Pewitt is scoring 42.8 points per game against defenses that allow 26.6 points per game.  Pewitt's offenses is swinging games by +16.2 points per game.  Gunter is scoring 37.8 ppg against defenses that allow just 19.5 ppg, so their offensive swing is +18.3 ppg.

Pewitt is allowing 21.7 points per game to offenses that score 29.6 ppg on average, so a defensive swing of +7.9.  Gunter is holding teams that score 31.5 ppg to just 11.1 ppg, so a +20.4 defensive swing. 

Overall, Gunter's swing is +38.7 to Pewitt's +24.1.  On paper, Gunter has a slightly better offense, and a clear advantage on defense.  

Gunter has had the tougher schedule - particularly in facing much better defenses throughout the season.  Of the 15 opponents Gunter has faced, 12 of them hold teams to 21 or fewer points per game.  Only 5 Pewitt opponents fit that criteria.  Those 12 Gunter opponents give up 15.6 ppg on average, and Gunter scores 34.5 ppg against these opponents.  The 5 sub 21 defenses Pewitt has faced hold teams to an average of 15.3 points and Pewitt scores 38.5 ppg against these defenses.  A small sample size, but Pewitt gets the offensive advantage against quality defenses with an offensive swing in these games of +23.2 to Gunter's +18.9.

Both Gunter and Pewitt have faced 9 offenses that score 30 or more points on average.  These 9 opponents for Gunter average 40.9 ppg and Gunter holds these teams to 14 points per game.  The 9 Pewitt opponents with quality offenses average 35.7 ppg and Pewitt holds these teams to 27.1 ppg.  Gunter holds a significant advantage again with their defensive swinging quality offenses by +26.9 points to Pewitt's +8.6. 

In other words, against quality defenses, Pewitt's offense has been 4.3 points better than Gunter's.  Against quality offenses, Gunter's defense has been 18.3 points better than Pewitt's.  So, only considering these quality opponents, Gunter has been 14.3 points better than Pewitt. 

Also worth noting is that Pewitt's defense would not be included as a quality defense because they are allowing slightly more than 21 points per game, so it is a little unfair to compare how Gunter and Pewitt do against defenses that hold opponents to fewer than 21 points per game on average when Pewitt's defense doesn't do that. 

The prediction :

Gunter 35

Pewitt 25

Great job as usual Pax. Thanks for all the info. Go Gunter!!  

• Like 1

Probably about enough requests for a mod’s decision to be reversed. Let’s keep this about two outstanding football teams. Any further comments concerning the suspension of you-know-who will be treated as questioning a mod’s decision. With that said...........

GO BULLS! 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Probably about enough requests for a mod’s decision to be reversed. Let’s keep this about two outstanding football teams. Any further comments concerning the suspension of you-know-who will be treated as questioning a mod’s decision. With that said...........

GO BULLS! 

Do the crime gotta pay the time is my motto. 

12 hours ago, jimmyw said:

I bet Newton had the strongest pre-district schedule in 3AD2. Anyway brakes will probably win this one and I like Gunter but I like Paul Pewitt more.Gooooo Brahmas win state for yourselves,your coaches,your community,your district,your region and East Texas.❗Remember,youknocked them stripes off the last group of Tigers you faced so do it to these Blue Tigers also.

Yes Newton was in the top 2 or 3 for strength of schedule.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Whats the best way to get tickets to see the Brahmas at Cowboy stadium?

https://seatgeek.com/uil-state-championships-2a-dii-3a-di-3a-dii-tickets/football/2019-12-19-11-am/5083400?sgo_ac=3ADIIS&fbclid=IwAR1Wpg9h2vNxV69-XjX-KbFNCY7UaULK60-au4PUUjC7eKqZ5F-KpDXW9Bo

Ignore the G choices, they don't matter

4 minutes ago, PewittBully said:

Welcome to smoaky, I figured there were going to be some new folks all of sudden, but anywho welcome aboard 

2 minutes ago, PewittBully said:

Thanks......In the shadows for a long time. I used to run a football forum until Smoaky started his.

Glad you came out the shadows to discuss the best HS sport on this planet hands down..... what ya think about this matchup and plz dont tell me a blowout like a few on the other app

25 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Whats the best way to get tickets to see the Brahmas at Cowboy stadium?

You can probably get them for $14 through the school and they get credit for that.  We just pay the 15  bucks at the stadium.  if  you already have a ticket that will save you from having to walk as far, you just go straight to the entrance.  Safe travels...

• Like 1

This is Gunter's fourth straight appearance in the state championship game. The Tigers' record over those four years is 60-3. Gunter coach Jake Fieszel has not had a losing season at Gunter in his 13 seasons there. Gunter's only loss is to Pottsboro, which is favored to win Thursday's 3A DI championship. With all this said it should be a great game. Go Brahmas!

• LOL! 1