La Vega vs Carthage 2019 4A D1 Championship

DAWG91

State Championship  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• La Vega Pirates
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 05:00 PM

As you’ve noted, he congratulated those Bulldogs.
Really not much to say, and I do not mean that in a disrespectful way at all toward La Vega.

Carthage just took total control of that game from the final few minutes of the first half through the end of the game. 

You could see it and feel coming.

When Kelvontay caught that ball and it went for a TD just before half time you could tell then Carthage was about to kick into high gear.
Preston  made a slight defensive adjustment in alignment for Cole Whitlock from the first half to the second half to counter LV’s stretch handoffs.
Cummings and Walton ran hard and Cummings got loose that one time early in the second half where he broke about five tackles on that one run, which led to a TD, but outside of that it was all Carthage.

Carthage had a really good team this year. I’m not going to compare the last two 16 and 0 teams, but I’ll just give the numbers.

2017: Outscored opponents 745-327 in 16 games. Were a +418. Average margin of victory 26 ppg. SOS 118-73

2019: Outscored opponents 652-217 in 16 games. Were a +435. Average margin of victory was 27 ppg. SOS 121-76.

Every Dawg championship team was special in its own unique way. 
2008 great running back and D line. 
2009 Great defense. 
2010 QB and O line

2013 led by a surgeon at QB

2016 heart attack kids, never quit no matter what. 
2017 best running back in 4A, QB throwing dimes, the best three linebackers that I have ever seen in 4A on the same team. 
The best receivers in 4A that year. 
2019 The best O line that I have Ever seen at the 4A or 5 A level. 
Per stats the best total defense in 4A this year. 
Amazing what coach S and staff have done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Every Dawg championship team was special in its own unique way. 
2008 great running back and D line. 
2009 Great defense. 
2010 QB and O line

2013 led by a surgeon at QB

2016 heart attack kids, never quit no matter what. 
2017 best running back in 4A, QB throwing dimes, the best three linebackers that I have ever seen in 4A on the same team. 
The best receivers in 4A that year. 
2019 The best O line that I have Ever seen at the 4A or 5 A level. 
Per stats the best total defense in 4A this year. 
Amazing what coach S and staff have done. 

He was the #1 RB in Texas not just 4A.

Just got my laptop back from the shop.......had to replace the "port thing" for $90......and they had to order the parts. Christmas season caused the delay.  Watched all the games......was a great week at AT&T.  Carthage O-line won this game, no doubt.  But the Carthage D and Whitlock was very impressive as well.  They played very well the entire game even though we all knew LV's backs would break a few for scores and long runs......those guys are gashers and don't need much room.  You beat LV by passing against them to loosen up their D-line, then gash them with a quick back through a hole.  Argyle needed Byce to do that.......the other two backs are not quick like Byce is. Besides......LV sorely missed #10 in this game......he's literally unreplaceable on the field.  But that's the way it goes at this level.......sometimes your best players are hurt and have to watch from the sidelines.  This is high school football at its best on Planet Earth.......what's not to like???  Carthage exposed LV's weakness in the passing game with Horton's connections to some quality receivers......just like Argyle did.  Then you run the ball and hit em for big gains.  Of course Carthage had no problem opening some holes for Courtney with that big O-line and gave Horton plenty of time to connect in the passing game.......no contest against LV.    Carthage had trouble against a mobile QB that was accurate throwing on the run when they met Lampasas, but Argyle had much better receivers than Lampasas.  Like another poster on here said......Bo can't run, but that Lampasas QB sure could, Huh?  Carthage had the best team this season, no doubt.  Argyle had no defense all season.......maybe the worst D in years for Argyle......but still managed to win convincingly because of the offense.  LV played their best game of the season against Argyle in the playoffs and did not make many mistakes.  They had #10 healthy then......and he is literally worth 3 guys on that side of the ball.  BTW......I don't see Argyle being ranked that high next season in 4A.......maybe Top Ten, but not Top Five.  They lose alot of seniors that were very good athletes.....even though those skill guys took baseball scholarships......and I don't blame them. Kudos to Carthage.......they had it all this season.  A big O-line in this sport sets up everything offensively.......they had the QB, the skill players, and a very good defense as well.  Don't know why they didn't score more during the season.......I guess Horton needed a little more time to mature into the position at this level.  But he's matured now......and has the size and arm to get it done.  Congrats to Carthage on a great showing and #7.  I didn't think LV was good enough and knew they weren't disciplined enough to play with Carthage this season.  I do think it would have been a little different(closer) if #10 would have been able to play for LV.......but that's how the football cookie crumbles. 

We didnt score more because that's just not our style we use almost the whole play clock every play usually always have alot of 4-5 min drives everygame plus we didn't really have a home run rb this year either like most he just does not have the top end speed which turned runs that would of been td into only 20-30 yd runs

12 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

We didnt score more because that's just not our style we use almost the whole play clock every play usually always have alot of 4-5 min drives everygame plus we didn't really have a home run rb this year either like most he just does not have the top end speed which turned runs that would of been td into only 20-30 yd runs

Yeah......that makes sense and lends itself to the way Surratt brings along the team.  He had plenty to work with and develop thru the season......no reason to do otherwise......until the playoffs got here.  By that time Horton had plenty of seasoning and was much improved and more comfortable with all the offensive sets Carthage uses in the playoffs.  LV could not adjust to all those sets.......they have good athletes but cannot make adjustments on the fly as well as some other top tier teams.  They make too many mistakes and are prone to lots of penalties when they get behind.....they are willing to take chances and see if they can get away with it.  It's just very difficult to beat a well-coached team that has the players and team discipline.  Mistakes are just too costly at this level to deal with........could mean the difference in the outcome.  It didn't in this game, but could if the score was closer.

@regaleagle You’ve figured out why we didn’t score more and it is two fold. First, Horton needed time to get comfortable and more confident.

Two, Surratt just doesn’t run it up on folks and makes sure to get backups (possibly future starters) some valuable playing time against starters from the opposing team.

Something also touched on is Courtney doesn’t have the top end speed previous Carthage running backs possessed, but he definitely has had his fair share of long touchdown runs. He had that 50+ yard TD run against LV in the championship game.

You mentioned LV’s best LB and defender not being available against Carthage. I too think it’d have made a difference for them, but at one point Carthage was about to make it 49-21 with 4 minutes left in the game and would have had Courtney not fumbled on the LV 5 yard line.

The final score didn’t indicate how dominant Carthage truly was in the second half of that game. LV’s #10 would’ve made a difference, but not enough to completely change the game.

1 hour ago, regaleagle said:

Carthage had trouble against a mobile QB that was accurate throwing on the run when they met Lampasas, but Argyle had much better receivers than Lampasas.

I agree with a lot of your post, but I disagree with this portion.  I don’t think Argyle’s WR group was better than the duo from Lampasas.  Did you guys compete at the 2018 state track championship?  Certainly don’t believe any of them actually won or placed in an individual or team track event like Lampasas did they?  The Badgers #1 and #5 had both speed and size.  They were more talented than anyone we saw all year.

8 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I agree with a lot of your post, but I disagree with this portion.  I don’t think Argyle’s WR group was better than the duo from Lampasas.  Did you guys compete at the 2018 state track championship?  Certainly don’t believe any of them actually won or placed in an individual or team track event like Lampasas did they?  The Badgers #1 and #5 had both speed and size.  They were more talented than anyone we saw all year.

Lampasas had a lethal core of WR's..#1, #5 and #6 were all big , fast and ran great routes...add in the QB and that offense was tremendous

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

Lampasas had a lethal core of WR's..#1, #5 and #6 were all big , fast and ran great routes...add in the QB and that offense was tremendous

Agreed, I do not think there is anyway you can say Argyle’s WR corp was as good as Lampasas’s WR corp was this year. 

That Lampasas offense was awesome, and their defense held Carthage better than LV did. That’s why I ranked Lampasas as #2 behind Carthage and LV #3. 

Lampasas was the only team to actually threaten to beat Carthage this year. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

That's because Carthage played a close game to Lampasas and did not even face Argyle to properly judge both teams against this season's Carthage team.......so your evaluation is slightly slanted......naturally.  Just look at the overall numbers that Gonzo, Merka, and Cole Kirkpatrick had.......these guys don't even run track.  They are all D-1 athletes.....every one of them highly talented.  You don't need blazing speed to be a great receiver.......and all of these guys have great speed.......but they also all have great hands and knew how to catch footballs in traffic and how to go up and get the ball.  You are nuts if you think any of the receivers from Lampasas are as good as Cole Kirkpatrick.......and I can guarantee you he has as much speed on that football field as any receiver in 4A......except maybe Dixon. Do your homework first instead of your homer comments.......and look at the facts first.  The numbers speak for themselves.  You said it yourself........they had 3 track speedsters all with height. I'd like to see the numbers of the Argyle 3 vs the Lampasas 3 thru 14 games this season. And Argyle's 14th game ####

In other words......prove your comments right here by posting the numbers......convince me and other readers. I'm open-minded enough, but show me with some stats.

20 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

That's because Carthage played a close game to Lampasas and did not even face Argyle to properly judge both teams against this season's Carthage team.......so your evaluation is slightly slanted......naturally.  Just look at the overall numbers that Gonzo, Merka, and Cole Kirkpatrick had.......these guys don't even run track.  They are all D-1 athletes.....every one of them highly talented.  You don't need blazing speed to be a great receiver.......and all of these guys have great speed.......but they also all have great hands and knew how to catch footballs in traffic and how to go up and get the ball.  You are nuts if you think any of the receivers from Lampasas are as good as Cole Kirkpatrick.......and I can guarantee you he has as much speed on that football field as any receiver in 4A......except maybe Dixon. Do your homework first instead of your homer comments.......and look at the facts first.  The numbers speak for themselves.  You said it yourself........they had 3 track speedsters all with height. I'd like to see the numbers of the Argyle 3 vs the Lampasas 3 thru 14 games this season. And Argyle's 14th game ####

In other words......prove your comments right here by posting the numbers......convince me and other readers. I'm open-minded enough, but show me with some stats.

Lampasas had one receiver who caught a pass with Three Dawgs all around him; That catch took great timing, concentration & hands to bring in... Haven’t seen any film of Argyle’s receivers in action, but Lampasas’ guys were top notch by Any standard.

31 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

You are nuts if you think any of the receivers from Lampasas are as good as Cole Kirkpatrick.......and I can guarantee you he has as much speed on that football field as any receiver in 4A......except maybe Dixon. Do your homework first instead of your homer comments.......and look at the facts first.  The numbers speak for themselves.  

Jadon Maddox from Bridgeport.  Beat Dixon in the 100 at state in 2019.  He got 3rd as a sophomore in the 100 at state.  Has football highlight as a WR videos on the internet.  
Do your homework first before instead of your homer comments. 

• Thanks 1

Cole Kirkpatrick is all over the internet.......just google him.  He also could get a D-1 baseball scholarship.......but I think he will be playing football at WR at the next level.  Merka(A&M) Gonzales(Baylor), and Hogeboom(UH) are all seniors with D-1 verbals in baseball.  Most scouts knew they were all solid in their commits for baseball......so did not waste their time on offers for football.  

BTW......Argyle also played backups most of the season and limited the totals for these 3 receivers and Hogeboom compared to the minutes most players get playing as starters.  So like LV and Carthage.......Argyle is in that same category playing lots of different players and limiting minutes for their best players.  Not sure how Lampasas did throughout the year playing backups and limiting the minutes of their starters.

La Vega will be a tough out next season........they can replace Kinne at QB with Rauls.  Cummings and Walton at RB were also only juniors this season......so they will be loaded on offense.  I think they lose Malichi Wright and Chambliss at receiver,  but I don't think that will be a problem whatsoever for them.  Losing #10 DeMarques Hayes at LB......well we already saw that against Carthage in the SC title game against the best team in 4A this season.  LV should get the #1 nod in 4A-D1 next season, for sure.