La Vega vs Carthage 2019 4A D1 Championship

DAWG91

State Championship  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• La Vega Pirates
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 05:00 PM

Wow......MaxPreps stats say Whitehead had 21 TD's rushing this season also.......what a well-rounded dual-threat QB, Huh?  That's a total of 75 rushing and passing TD's in 15 games played......just to set the record straight......if the record from MaxPreps is straight......LOL.  I guess he was the major league player for Lampasas this season for sure. 

Ace Whitehead(5-11/180/Jr.) QB, K for Lampasas.......gotta love that name.  He'll be back next season for the Badgers to do it all over again......good luck and good health to him.  He rushed for 723 yds on 127 carries in 15 games this season......OR 48.2 ypg and 5.7 ypcarry.  Not the least bit shabby.....esp. when he threw for a total of 4259 yds in 15 games while completing .697% of 373 attempts for a Qb rating of 140.6 while only giving up 6 interceptions on the season......and sometimes some of those are not the fault of the QB, but just happen on tips and other stuff like that.  

Looks like CC is correctomundo on the total for Whitehead.......he will be a dual threat next season as well.  Not sure how many the Badgers are losing to graduation this year.....but with a QB at the helm with his abilities and stats as only a junior.......Look out for Lampasas again. I'm sure they have ample receivers available to catch those throws from this accurate hurler, and with him being a threat to run that makes it even tougher on the opposing secondary to cover. The team that scores the most points wins......even if the defense is lacking.  Methinks Lampasas will score alot of points again next season too.

9 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Looks like CC is correctomundo on the total for Whitehead.......he will be a dual threat next season as well.  Not sure how many the Badgers are losing to graduation this year.....but with a QB at the helm with his abilities and stats as only a junior.......Look out for Lampasas again. I'm sure they have ample receivers available to catch those throws from this accurate hurler, and with him being a threat to run that makes it even tougher on the opposing secondary to cover. The team that scores the most points wins......even if the defense is lacking.  Methinks Lampasas will score alot of points again next season too.

Yeah man, that QB was tough to contain. They are losing I think two of their best receivers.

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yep, and we’re losing our two best receivers, and maybe even another one.....? 
I wish Kel Williams had caught more balls during the title game, but I am happy Dixon had such a good game. 

It was also very good Courtney had a huge game.

I understand Kel had some vision issues for a part of the season which adversely affected his numbers, but fortunately for us, they were corrected & he began to catch more of his passes. Just in time, too.😜

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I believe the Dawgs will be a force next year in DII. I saw some good looking athletes on the side line that should fit just fine on the defensive side of the ball. 
The offense will be another machine with next man up. 

This year was both a blessing & a curse.  Blessing to go 16-0 and win another SC, but a curse in not having the flexibility to expose many of our younger players to Friday Night Lights.  First time I can recall we only had a limited number of Soph (3) moved up to varsity for the regular season.  And with the large Sr class (32), only got to move a limited number of JV & Freshman players for the playoffs.  

We will need to replace 8 on D and 6 on O if my math is correct.  The 9th & JV were both undefeated district champs, so the talent is there.  But I’d caution everyone not to expect domination and an undefeated season in 2020 just because we are dropping to 4A D2.  There will be a large learning curve to go through to get the iron sharp.  I would think a season like 2016 would be realistic.  I think we drop a couple games early but should be playing good ball come District and humming for the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

This year was both a blessing & a curse.  Blessing to go 16-0 and win another SC, but a curse in not having the flexibility to expose many of our younger players to Friday Night Lights.  First time I can recall we only had a limited number of Soph (3) moved up to varsity for the regular season.  And with the large Sr class (32), only got to move a limited number of JV & Freshman players for the playoffs.  

We will need to replace 8 on D and 6 on O if my math is correct.  The 9th & JV were both undefeated district champs, so the talent is there.  But I’d caution everyone not to expect domination and an undefeated season in 2020 just because we are dropping to 4A D2.  There will be a large learning curve to go through to get the iron sharp.  I would think a season like 2016 would be realistic.  I think we drop a couple games early but should be playing good ball come District and humming for the playoffs.

Underclassmen that started in 2019 on offense  - QB, RB, RG, RT, TE, WR.......and a part-time starting WR

4 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Underclassmen that started in 2019 on offense  - QB, RB, RG, RT, TE, WR.......and a part-time starting WR

Dang forgot about the TE.  My point is still the same though.  Will have a lot of new guys on the field in August 2020.  In the past some fans just expect the same level of play from Dec 20th to carry over into late August the following year.

I think number 55 is going to be another man child on the O line. He I believe is a sophomore and I saw a few more that will get bigger. I don’t think the O line will be any different than Dawg O lines in the past. 
I think 28 is going to be a big time receiver and running back. I watched him close, he catches everything with his hands and can flat out fly. 
13 and 17 will both be bigger and better. 
The weapons will be there. 
Number 11 will be big time in the short game and won’t  be surprised if we see him as defensive end  
I agree the freshmen and sophomore class will take time adjusting to the speed at the varsity level. Keep in mind I was told by several coaches over the years that players grow more between their sophomore year and junior year than any other time in high school. 
I truly believe the 2020 Dawgs are going to surprise everyone even the Dawg coaches. 

20 hours ago, regaleagle said:

La Vega will be a tough out next season........they can replace Kinne at QB with Rauls.  Cummings and Walton at RB were also only juniors this season......so they will be loaded on offense.  I think they lose Malichi Wright and Chambliss at receiver,  but I don't think that will be a problem whatsoever for them.  Losing #10 DeMarques Hayes at LB......well we already saw that against Carthage in the SC title game against the best team in 4A this season.  LV should get the #1 nod in 4A-D1 next season, for sure.  

By my count at the start of the LaVega-Carthage game, I noted that they (La Vega) only had one senior start on defense and three seniors start on offense (two linemen and Kinne at QB).  They have historically and will probably continue to play various kids throughout a game at multiple positions.  I agree Regal, that La Vega should come back as the preseason # 1 in 2020. 

What I would like to know (and can't wait until the 202 DCTF magazine comes out this summer) is what will Argyle, Lampassas (who is projected to be in the same district as La Vega in 2020), and Decatur bringing back next year. 

I would also love to see La Vega and Carthage play a non-district game (much like La Vega and Liberty Eylau did the past two years). 

2 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

You mean the L-E game that ended with no winner because of the fight?

Well, yes. They played a home-home series the last two years and unfortunately due to the behavior of many players the game was indeed called. 

2 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

LV has serious discipline issues; I’ve heard there were two such games that were called due to fights. 

While I personally have no dog in the hunt, you were referring to Liberty Eylau's well documented discipline issues, correct?... not some "hearsay" about La Vega, right?

22 hours ago, regaleagle said:

That's because Carthage played a close game to Lampasas and did not even face Argyle to properly judge both teams against this season's Carthage team.......so your evaluation is slightly slanted......naturally.  Just look at the overall numbers that Gonzo, Merka, and Cole Kirkpatrick had.......these guys don't even run track.  They are all D-1 athletes.....every one of them highly talented.  You don't need blazing speed to be a great receiver.......and all of these guys have great speed.......but they also all have great hands and knew how to catch footballs in traffic and how to go up and get the ball.  You are nuts if you think any of the receivers from Lampasas are as good as Cole Kirkpatrick.......and I can guarantee you he has as much speed on that football field as any receiver in 4A......except maybe Dixon. Do your homework first instead of your homer comments.......and look at the facts first.  The numbers speak for themselves.  You said it yourself........they had 3 track speedsters all with height. I'd like to see the numbers of the Argyle 3 vs the Lampasas 3 thru 14 games this season. And Argyle's 14th game ####

In other words......prove your comments right here by posting the numbers......convince me and other readers. I'm open-minded enough, but show me with some stats.

I saw Argyle's receviers and they were very good, especially at route running and breaking routes during a qb scramble. I'd say the Badgers receivers were equal in that aspect of the game but the Badgers receivers had more speed and athleticism than the Eagle's recievers which gives them the nod in my book. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieHardCubFan said:

While I personally have no dog in the hunt, you were referring to Liberty Eylau's well documented discipline issues, correct?... not some "hearsay" about La Vega, right?

I can only say what I saw in the state championship game when a La Vega player grabbed number 90 from Carthage in the you know what and twisted. Left 90 laying on ground in big time pain. 
he came to the sideline telling coach what happened. 

21 hours ago, regaleagle said:

BTW......Argyle also played backups most of the season and limited the totals for these 3 receivers and Hogeboom compared to the minutes most players get playing as starters.  So like LV and Carthage.......Argyle is in that same category playing lots of different players and limiting minutes for their best players.  Not sure how Lampasas did throughout the year playing backups and limiting the minutes of their starters.

Now Regal, was it this year or last year when your guys were throwing touchdown passes late in the game against LE?

19 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Well, you are correct, it is only BB’s and my opinions that Lampasas was the 2nd best team in 4A-D1 this year, because those teams - Argyle and Lampasas nor did Lampasas and LV play each other.

It is just an opinion that the Badgers are second best this year. To me, they looked better than LV and we know what LV did to Argyle. 
So, who knows for sure. There’s just one thing we know for sure..

I thought LV was the second best team in the State. Lamasas was a matchup nightmare for our Oline. I told a friend that i was nervous about the Badgers small and quick Dline but Lavega didn't scare me due to the fact that when it's size vs size, our oline wins that battle everytime. it's the quicker and smaller ones we have issues with.  I think Lavega would have beating Lampasas IMO.

18 minutes ago, DieHardCubFan said:

I too, have “no dog in this fight” , but did hear about two games LV was involved in which ended early; I also have no doubt that L-E also has discipline issues, but only the one game with LV that ended early... While I have only “heard” about another such game, I’m sure if it Did happen, it could easily be discovered to be factual.

4 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yeah man, that QB was tough to contain. They are losing I think two of their best receivers.

That’s right. 1 and 5 both graduate. But with a QB like that it won’t matter. Ace can put Lampasas on his back and carry them to a state title. He is that good. He reminds me a little bit of Jack Dallas from WOS. Best QB we have seen in a while. Might be the best QB Carthage has played since Surratt has been here. I cannot remember. 4a Player of the Year as a junior is special. He will be fun to follow next year.