La Vega vs Carthage 2019 4A D1 Championship

DAWG91

State Championship  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• La Vega Pirates
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 05:00 PM

13 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

That’s right. 1 and 5 both graduate. But with a QB like that it won’t matter. Ace can put Lampasas on his back and carry them to a state title. He is that good. He reminds me a little bit of Jack Dallas from WOS. Best QB we have seen in a while. Might be the best QB Carthage has played since Surratt has been here. I cannot remember. 4a Player of the Year as a junior is special. He will be fun to follow next year.

The crazy thing too me is he's been starting since he was a freshman. Wouldn't do for him to have more size or he would be a first round draft pick.

• Thumbs Down 1

58 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I can only say what I saw in the state championship game when a La Vega player grabbed number 90 from Carthage in the you know what and twisted. Left 90 laying on ground in big time pain. 
he came to the sideline telling coach what happened. 

Y’all should host a clinic to teach others how to be perfect acting like y’all. 🙄

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

I thought LV was the second best team in the State. Lamasas was a matchup nightmare for our Oline. I told a friend that i was nervous about the Badgers small and quick Dline but Lavega didn't scare me due to the fact that when it's size vs size, our oline wins that battle everytime. it's the quicker and smaller ones we have issues with.  I think Lavega would have beating Lampasas IMO.

Understand your thinking there.

Geez.......after reviewing all the returners for next season, I guess Argyle might just fall into that Top Five category in the Dave Campbell Preseason rankings afterall.  The Eagles actually had a "young" team on the field at most positions......excepting for Srs. Hogeboom, Merka, Gonzo, and a couple of other starters on each side of the ball.  The O-line will stay virtually intact as will most of the D-line......excepting for some competition from new faces that emerged late in the season. Argyle will return all 3 LB's and the secondary except for Jake Sullivan.  The skill players on offense will be back.....Byce & Scoggins & other RB's......Kirkpatrick at WR will be joined a host of other talented receivers, and our soph kicker as well.  QB CJ Rogers(6-3/185/Jr) is very athletic and is a running threat too. He has another season to develop his passing prowess.......kinda like Horton did this season for Carthage. He has the tools......just not the seasoning yet at this level at the QB position.  There are a few more QB's in the wings, but Rogers should prove to be the winner by a longshot......unless some other guy shows up in the spring as a move-in.  That doesn't happen much at Argyle......too many other good teams around the Denton area already to play for.  Jon Copeland's brother Jett came up to varsity from JV  during the season this year.......I think he will be a junior next year.  And don't forget Jasper Lott......he was rotated on offense and defense during the season this year and will be back for a bigtime senior season.  He's a D-1 recruit for certain.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, regaleagle said:

Geez.......after reviewing all the returners for next season, I guess Argyle might just fall into that Top Five category in the Dave Campbell Preseason rankings afterall. 

They should be ranked #1 IMO

On 12/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, regaleagle said:

Geez.......after reviewing all the returners for next season, I guess Argyle might just fall into that Top Five category in the Dave Campbell Preseason rankings afterall.  The Eagles actually had a "young" team on the field at most positions......excepting for Srs. Hogeboom, Merka, Gonzo, and a couple of other starters on each side of the ball.  The O-line will stay virtually intact as will most of the D-line......excepting for some competition from new faces that emerged late in the season. Argyle will return all 3 LB's and the secondary except for Jake Sullivan.  The skill players on offense will be back.....Byce & Scoggins & other RB's......Kirkpatrick at WR will be joined a host of other talented receivers, and our soph kicker as well.  QB CJ Rogers(6-3/185/Jr) is very athletic and is a running threat too. He has another season to develop his passing prowess.......kinda like Horton did this season for Carthage. He has the tools......just not the seasoning yet at this level at the QB position.  There are a few more QB's in the wings, but Rogers should prove to be the winner by a longshot......unless some other guy shows up in the spring as a move-in.  That doesn't happen much at Argyle......too many other good teams around the Denton area already to play for.  Jon Copeland's brother Jett came up to varsity from JV  during the season this year.......I think he will be a junior next year.  And don't forget Jasper Lott......he was rotated on offense and defense during the season this year and will be back for a bigtime senior season.  He's a D-1 recruit for certain.

Who is Argyle playing in non district next year?

4 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

They should be ranked #1 IMO

Do you work for DCTF? In all seriousness, I just can't see them as #1. Their offense is going to be a HUGE force next year with those returning linemen but on the other side of the ball is going to be the problem.

5 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Do you work for DCTF? In all seriousness, I just can't see them as #1. Their offense is going to be a HUGE force next year with those returning linemen but on the other side of the ball is going to be the problem.

Haha i was being sarcastic.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

They will be 1 or 2 for sure. I think I would have Lampasas as #1, even losing those WR. Or I could see it LV #1, Lampasas #2. That QB is going to be the type of guy that can lead you to a title with just a little bit of help. If their defense is as good as it was this year they will be tough. I know they weren’t the best D, but they could get some stops. And with Carthage leaving that makes room at the table for a team like Lampasas. Besides Carthage there really isn’t that team that will make you pay for not being balanced on both sides of the call. There is La Vega who was young, and will be back. But them being undisciplined sometimes in big games makes them beatable. I mean really everybody was saying Carthage didn’t have a chance against LV, but we see how that turned out.

If I had to guess it will be LV 1, Argyle 2, Lampasas 3, Calallen 4. Not sure after that.

Then let’s see with Carthage out of the way, can Henderson or Kilgore make a real run. Bout time for Kilgore to get back to winning deep in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

They will be 1 or 2 for sure. I think I would have Lampasas as #1, even losing those WR. Or I could see it LV #1, Lampasas #2. That QB is going to be the type of guy that can lead you to a title with just a little bit of help. If their defense is as good as it was this year they will be tough. I know they weren’t the best D, but they could get some stops. And with Carthage leaving that makes room at the table for a team like Lampasas. Besides Carthage there really isn’t that team that will make you pay for not being balanced on both sides of the call. There is La Vega who was young, and will be back. But them being undisciplined sometimes in big games makes them beatable. I mean really everybody was saying Carthage didn’t have a chance against LV, but we see how that turned out.

If I had to guess it will be LV 1, Argyle 2, Lampasas 3, Calallen 4. Not sure after that.

Then let’s see with Carthage out of the way, can Henderson or Kilgore make a real run. Bout time for Kilgore to get back to winning deep in the playoffs. 

Kilgore will have to shed their one dimensional type offense to ever go very deep, especially against a solid defense.

41 minutes ago, slyone said:

Lampasas will need to get better in the secondary. I was at the Needville game. We were able to throw for 336 yards against them. Now that offense, we had no answer

I watched some highlights of that game.  It looked like Lampasas’ secondary was running in sand that day. 
But they looked a lot better against Carthage.  Carthage did have a bunch of passing yards but it was a lot of perfect throws. 

10 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Needville was good. What do they have coming back? 

They loose the running back. He is special. Just about everyone else is back. They will be a different type of team without Ashton. He ran for over 3000 yards this year

41 minutes ago, slyone said:

They loose the running back. He is special. Just about everyone else is back. They will be a different type of team without Ashton. He ran for over 3000 yards this year

They looked pretty good throwing the ball in the game against Lampasas. I liked their offense, just need a D. Gave up a lot of points.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, BulldogBacker12 said:

Argyle just wasn’t very good. Gave up 40+ to bad teams. Stephenville scored at will. There WRs couldn’t get it done against LV the 2nd time in the playoffs. Carthage torched LV. Lampasas would probably beat Argyle this year by 3 scores. Same as Carthage. Lampasas and PG the 2 best teams Carthage played. Argyle was playing on borrowed time. Were never going to win it all. They were a flawed team. 

I think your right argyle wasn't that good , even Brownwood could have beat them, Brownwood beat Stephenville pretty good, and Stephenville almost beat argyle, so I say argyle really had not played anyone that was watch you call real good, except for la Vega and carthage whooped Vega good lol.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, dillonpanthers said:

LV had discipline/dirty playing all year. Finally came to light for everyone to see during the state championship game with Carthage.  Was glad to see the refs called them on some of it. They are use to getting away with it. 

I did not see anything that La Vega did during the Brownwood Lions game, it was a clean game.