Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

La Vega vs Carthage 2019 4A D1 Championship


State Championship  

124 members have voted

  1. 1. Who Ya Got?

    • La Vega Pirates
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 05:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Just now, Champ1000 said:

I wish you well with #7 . Go Beast Tx. ..... Think what you may but this game is a tossup . I am picking Vega but not very confident because of Surratt.

It’s a toss up game. That’s vintage Lion70. Just tell us you want Carthage to get beat. It’s fine. Just stop with this non-sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We like to pound our chest when we're right.   I was so wrong on this game.  I was fairly confident it would be close.  Oh me of little faith.  Carthage was easily the better team.  They're like a gre

No. LV is freaking LOADED! Go watch some film on them.

Sportsfanatic1(DTrump), you're obsession with him is overwhelming. Get a life loser! I'm your huckleberry!

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

People said Carthage hadn’t faced an elite passing team until they played Lampasas. Now we haven’t faced a running threat? I guess Carthage really hasn’t played anybody this year. I imagine after Carthage is 16-0 this year, people are still going to try to figure out to make Carthage not very good. 

Carthage has been a very easy route to the title no denying that. The Dawgs however have past the test. Vega is extremly good so carthage will definitely earn this state Championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

It’s a toss up game. That’s vintage Lion70. Just tell us you want Carthage to get beat. It’s fine. Just stop with this non-sense. 

The Dawgs will be great Friday. Kings of 4a will show the state who the top dawg is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Carthage has been a very easy route to the title no denying that. The Dawgs however have past the test. Vega is extremly good so carthage will definitely earn this state Championship.

MH and Lampasas were easy? PG, Gilmer, and Marshall were easy? Henderson was easy? Shutting out Pali was easy? I think maybe Carthage has made it look pretty easy. I will say R3 was weak this year. But they played a full regular season, and a semi-final as well. At some point it’s got to be more about Carthage and less about they haven’t played anybody. But it doesn’t matter. Carthage is about to play the big one Friday. Nothing else matters.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

You played mh at the begining of the season you know kinda like how y'all got 49 hung on y'all by argyle early too but teams improve over 10+ weeks 

Do you not think La Vega has improved in the past 11 weeks as well? The pirates would still beat MH by at least 40. 

46 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Lampasas would have had no issues against S-town D.  I saw nothing in the LV game that would lead me to believe the Porc’s had anyone who could run with the Badgers #1 and #5.  And Lamp’s offense was more dynamic than Argyle’s IMO because Whitehead was actually a threat to run, unlike Bo.  I still can’t for the life of me understand Coach Roger’s game planning vs LV.  Argyle’s poor execution made LV look like world beaters.  They are good, but not that good.

I guess La Vega's Defense had nothing to do with that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Do you not think La Vega has improved in the past 11 weeks as well? The pirates would still beat MH by at least 40. 

I guess La Vega's Defense had nothing to do with that.  

We gonna see what they do against Carthage, Coach. No need to play imaginary games with MH.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Do you not think La Vega has improved in the past 11 weeks as well? The pirates would still beat MH by at least 40. 

I guess La Vega's Defense had nothing to do with that.  

That was my point you can't compare games so far apart the only common opponent that was played in a close period of time is le both won 49-7 not sure when levega got there points but that was the halftime and final score when Carthage played them 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

That was my point you can't compare games so far apart the only common opponent that was played in a close period of time is le both won 49-7 not sure when levega got there points but that was the halftime and final score when Carthage played them 

 

FWIW, yesterday at Chalk Talk, Coach Surratt said the Lampasas QB was the best RPO qb he has ever played against. Pretty high praise, IMO 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I guess La Vega's Defense had nothing to do with that.  

To some extent yes.  But you have to admit the Argyle offensive game plan played into the LV strength on D.  You have to admit you were surprised that Argyle didn’t throw the ball consistently until they had no other choice because they were too far behind to run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

Has carthage faced a running threat like that. PG maybe Henderson? Not really a great gauge either. 

I’d say PG offense would be a fair comparison to LV.  Both rely heavy on the run but are not afraid to throw it either.  LV has a bigger OL but PG has a better QB.  I look for Carthage to force LV to win through the air.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, coachkells said:

So do you think Surratt will stack the box and make La Vega throw the ball.  Let me think of the last team to try that against La Vega, Oh wait that has been every team for the past 5 years.  

I think Carthage will definitely focus on slowing the Pirate rushing attack. I’d think that is a warranted game plan as LV is very good at running the ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I’d say PG offense would be a fair comparison to LV.  Both rely heavy on the run but are not afraid to throw it either.  LV has a bigger OL but PG has a better QB.  I look for Carthage to force LV to win through the air.

Probably the best combination for the Dawgs to win. Like i said only suprise would be a win via blowout. Most of the state Championship for Carthage have been mismatches. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, coachkells said:

So do you think Surratt will stack the box and make La Vega throw the ball.  Let me think of the last team to try that against La Vega, Oh wait that has been every team for the past 5 years.  

Surratt does not make defensive decisions.  He is smart enough, football wise, that he would be a good defensive coordinator. But he lets his DC make the calls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, coachkells said:

So do you think Surratt will stack the box and make La Vega throw the ball.  Let me think of the last team to try that against La Vega, Oh wait that has been every team for the past 5 years.  

Its no secret that would be recipe for success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Ohh man this is really sad. I liked the old Lion better.

I love a good juggernaut when I seem them. Alabama of highschool football. Smashmouth football is what great about East Texas football. Gimc offenses do not ususally when win it counts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

MH and Lampasas were easy? PG, Gilmer, and Marshall were easy? Henderson was easy? Shutting out Pali was easy? I think maybe Carthage has made it look pretty easy. I will say R3 was weak this year. But they played a full regular season, and a semi-final as well. At some point it’s got to be more about Carthage and less about they haven’t played anybody. But it doesn’t matter. Carthage is about to play the big one Friday. Nothing else matters.

I rather face those than a Argyle or a Springtown. Most of those schools were decent . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it shock me if Carthage runs a 4-3 defense the whole game(like they have the last several years against the style of offense LV has)……..no

Would it shock me if Carthage runs a 5-2 or even a 5-3 defense, with a 330 lb or 350 lb noseguard for part of the game...….no

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Would it shock me if Carthage runs a 5-2 or even a 5-3 defense, with a 330 lb or 350 lb noseguard for part of the game...….no

The exact defense Celina, Melissa, and Argyle ran hope that big guy can run cause if not he will be a non factor.  Ask argyle how Effective #55 was he is every bit of 350.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, coachkells said:

 

The exact defense Celina, Melissa, and Argyle ran hope that big guy can run cause if not he will be a non factor.  Ask argyle how Effective #55 was he is every bit of 350.  

I’d venture to say those defenses are not as good as the Bulldogs defense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coachkells said:

 

The exact defense Celina, Melissa, and Argyle ran hope that big guy can run cause if not he will be a non factor.  Ask argyle how Effective #55 was he is every bit of 350.  

Lol...….If the rest of the defense ###, then yeah, a big guy that can keep you from running inside doesn't help much...……..But Carthage has 3 different big guys they could put at noseguard that would most likely slow(possibly stop) the run game from guard to guard ......Then would the other 10 defensive guys be able to stop the rest of the running game, maybe and maybe not ----but would have a much better chance than the other schools you mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...