Pleasant Grove vs Wimberley 4A D2 Championship Game

1utexfan

State Championship  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Wimberley Texans
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 09:00 PM

5 hours ago, futfan said:

PG impressed me with the depth of the running game. I think they will not be stopped on offense.

The Defense will not allow Wimberley to score enough to keep up.

45-24 Hawks is my prediction.

Pleasant Grove will not lose. It might be closer than some may think but they are not going to lose period. Just talk with some of these 3 yr. kids and you'll know. There has been a lot of neutral fans describe PG as being one of the most driven, physical teams. Well you haven't seen anything yet. This Friday the Hawks are going to let all they have and all they have worked for come to pass. We are going to see a PG team play better than any game they have played this year.  HEART & SOUL!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

LOL ive been here too long but I am going with the upset :)

LOL    It would be the biggest upset in recent memory if Wimberley did win.  

Can someone throw out a bigger upset in recent years in the State Championships than a Texans shocker?  I cant think of one.

I think this game may be real close to the PG vs Greenwood game. Wimberley will hang around and pressure the Hawks for 2 quarters then PG will PG, get a few stops, and then open it up. It’s a rarity that 4 kids that tote the rock on a team can ALL play at the next level in some capacity. PG is too talented, and I just cant bet against the Harmon kid. PG 56-24. Enjoy it PG, things will get a bit dicey next year!

Well - 

After watching film here are my thoughts: (for anyone who cares 😀)

1. Wimberley would not be here if they weren't good - so expecting a 55-14 blowout by PG is unrealistic

2. The Texans QB is good - just not sure if he is better than the SV QB - the issue being competition and how hard it is to really tell how good each region is until the season is done - he has some really good numbers but is that a result of funneling and low quality opposition?  Don't know yet....

3. Texans defense does not look to be the best that PG has faced this year - so do not expect PG to struggle moving the ball  - the key will be do the Texans try and stop the pass and make PG drive the ball or take their chances w/ #10 and #1??

4. PG will be without a key player this week and I think that will hurt - also another key player may not be 100% - which I don't think will hurt as bad but still is not ideal.  

5. PG will score and will only stop themselves on offense.  On defense - the key will be can they make stops.  I think PG because of the quality of their defense will make a few stops.  PG won't stop Wimberley every drive - I think that the spread that they run and their talent will lead to some points.  However, I don't see the big play ability in their offense - which I believe is the best way to score on PG.  I just think it is too hard to expect several 5-10 play drives in a game going against 40 and 44 and 74 and the quality of the other players on the defense like 23 and 5.  So - unless Wimeberly is able to hit several big plays, the fact that they have to sustain drives will hurt them in the long run. 

Bottom line - PG makes a couple stops each half and pulls away.

45-28 PG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hawks2021 said:

Well - 

After watching film here are my thoughts: (for anyone who cares 😀)

1. Wimberley would not be here if they weren't good - so expecting a 55-14 blowout by PG is unrealistic

2. The Texans QB is good - just not sure if he is better than the SV QB - the issue being competition and how hard it is to really tell how good each region is until the season is done - he has some really good numbers but is that a result of funneling and low quality opposition?  Don't know yet....

3. Texans defense does not look to be the best that PG has faced this year - so do not expect PG to struggle moving the ball  - the key will be do the Texans try and stop the pass and make PG drive the ball or take their chances w/ #10 and #1??

4. PG will be without a key player this week and I think that will hurt - also another key player may not be 100% - which I don't think will hurt as bad but still is not ideal.  

5. PG will score and will only stop themselves on offense.  On defense - the key will be can they make stops.  I think PG because of the quality of their defense will make a few stops.  PG won't stop Wimberley every drive - I think that the spread that they run and their talent will lead to some points.  However, I don't see the big play ability in their offense - which I believe is the best way to score on PG.  I just think it is too hard to expect several 5-10 play drives in a game going against 40 and 44 and 74 and the quality of the other players on the defense like 23 and 5.  So - unless Wimeberly is able to hit several big plays, the fact that they have to sustain drives will hurt them in the long run. 

Bottom line - PG makes a couple stops each half and pulls away.

45-28 PG

I can live with that observation.  

I think PG has seen teams that are better passing teams than Wimberly this year. They have improved all year at handling the spread offense. Wimberly's #9 and #10 receiver combo is nowhere near as potent as Carthage's #3 and #7 combo and not as potent as Gilmers #4 and #14 combo. Pleasant grove has faced by far the better teams throughout the season yet PG has only allowed an average of 18 PPG. while scoring 42 PPG. Wimberly despite having a much weaker schedule has allowed 27 PPG. while scoring 45 PPG. I think the tale is in the tape who will win this game. I see Wimberly like 2017 Graham who had a great QB with over 4,000 yrds passing running the spread and simply ran into a much better team than they had played all year in PG. I would also point out to some folks who are saying that the PG Greenwood game was close a few things. Greenwood had a RB who had 2700 yrds 180 YPG. He was held to half of that against the Grove. Greenwood managed to score only 2 TDs the whole game against PG. A team that averaged just under 6 a game got a whole 2. I should also point out that the second TD came only due to an interception being negated by a roughing the passer penalty. Without that they only score 1 TD against the Grove. Greenwood only managed 6 more points from 2 field goals losing the Game by 4Tds. Greenwood had a slightly tougher STR than Wimberly and were undefeated. Wimberly has not seen anything like PG from both sides of the ball. As for the Hawks, they are all to familiar with the spread and have knocked off some teams that run it really well. Wimberly is severely outmatched and it will be obvious in this game.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

I think PG has seen teams that are better passing teams than Wimberly this year. They have improved all year at handling the spread offense. Wimberly's #9 and #10 receiver combo is nowhere near as potent as Carthage's #3 and #7 combo and not as potent as Gilmers #4 and #14 combo. Pleasant grove has faced by far the better teams throughout the season yet PG has only allowed an average of 18 PPG. while scoring 42 PPG. Wimberly despite having a much weaker schedule has allowed 27 PPG. while scoring 45 PPG. I think the tale is in the tape who will win this game. I see Wimberly like 2017 Graham who had a great QB with over 4,000 yrds passing running the spread and simply ran into a much better team than they had played all year in PG. I would also point out to some folks who are saying that the PG Greenwood game was close a few things. Greenwood had a RB who had 2700 yrds 180 YPG. He was held to half of that against the Grove. Greenwood managed to score only 2 TDs the whole game against PG. A team that averaged just under 6 a game got a whole 2. I should also point out that the second TD came only due to an interception being negated by a roughing the passer penalty. Without that they only score 1 TD against the Grove. Greenwood only managed 6 more points from 2 field goals losing the Game by 4Tds. Greenwood had a slightly tougher STR than Wimberly and were undefeated. Wimberly has not seen anything like PG from both sides of the ball. As for the Hawks, they are all to familiar with the spread and have knocked off some teams that run it really well. Wimberly is severely outmatched and it will be obvious in this game.  

The good Greenwood back had 180 yards against PG

10 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

Why is there always an excuse as to why someone actually scored on the Hawks? I see Carthage And Gilmer mentioned over and over but what you fail to realize is that PG has yet to beat Carthage and Gilmer isn’t the Gilmer of old. Any team can schedule a powerhouse and lose the trick is to get a win now and then. I’m not bashing PG by no means what they have done is pretty impressive but not giving The Texans a fighting chance is not very smart. I do believe the game will be Closer than expected. My guess on the outcome is ..... Wimbo with a shocker by 7 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gmgksa1 said:

Why is there always an excuse as to why someone actually scored on the Hawks? I see Carthage And Gilmer mentioned over and over but what you fail to realize is that PG has yet to beat Carthage and Gilmer isn’t the Gilmer of old. Any team can schedule a powerhouse and lose the trick is to get a win now and then. I’m not bashing PG by no means what they have done is pretty impressive but not giving The Texans a fighting chance is not very smart. I do believe the game will be Closer than expected. My guess on the outcome is ..... Wimbo with a shocker by 7 

Interesting take -

Probably the greatest thing about HS sports is it the last level that heart and soul play a more important role than talent in determining the outcome of a game.  You take a team w/ average talent and great heart and a team with great talent and attitude and effort issues and the team with great heart will win most every time.

I say that because we are now looking at a game with two teams that seem to have heart in spades.  So when evaluating this game I go back to last years championship game to get an idea on who is going to win.  Last year, both PG and Cuero were full of heart and effort.  That was obvious throughout the game.  The difference in that game was that Cuero was a team full of seniors and also had probably the second best player on the field in ANY of the championship games that week. (I say the Longview kid might have been better)

The talent gap between Cuero last year and PG was the reason that Cuero was able to pull away and win that game.  They earned it - they were the better team.

This year, it is obvious that PG is the more talented team.  On offense - #2 is going to BYU and all of their blogs and inside information talk about how he is likely to make a huge impact on the team as a freshman.  PG also has a very talented defense with three kids on the DL who are juniors who have offers from multiple top tier schools (40, 44, 50).  I don't see anyone on the Wimberley team that can consistently block 40 and 44 all game.  Both of those juniors will have a big impact in the game.

When you fill in the next level of talent on their team it is unquestionable that they go into this game as the more talented team.

Wimberley will score, they will put pressure on PG in the game - Just like last year PG did the same to Cuero.

But unless something crazy happens - a turned ankle, sprained knee, a helmet on the ball in just the right place - PG is going to win this tomorrow.

Their coaching is too good, the talent is too good, their effort and heart is too good.  They are a testament to a great coaching staff and have worked as hard or harder than anyone in Texas over the last 4 years.  Getting to state is awesome - doing it three years in a row is epic and a reflecting on the work the entire program has put in.  Good luck to 'em.

PG 45-28

• Like 2