Pleasant Grove vs Wimberley 4A D2 Championship Game

1utexfan

State Championship  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Wimberley Texans
    • Pleasant Grove Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2019 at 09:00 PM

12 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

The good Greenwood back had 180 yards against PG

T. Cross -26 for 149- long 20- 5 ypc.

This is his exact stats. Now what I would like to point out is that on his last 2 carries with under a minute left in the game he had 34 yrds. Pg in Prevent mode.So up to the last 2 garbage time runs he had 24 for 115- 4 ypc. Easily his worst game of the season.

8 hours ago, gmgksa1 said:

Why is there always an excuse as to why someone actually scored on the Hawks? I see Carthage And Gilmer mentioned over and over but what you fail to realize is that PG has yet to beat Carthage and Gilmer isn’t the Gilmer of old. Any team can schedule a powerhouse and lose the trick is to get a win now and then. I’m not bashing PG by no means what they have done is pretty impressive but not giving The Texans a fighting chance is not very smart. I do believe the game will be Closer than expected. My guess on the outcome is ..... Wimbo with a shocker by 7 

Pretty sure I did not make an Excuse. Just recapping the game how it happened. I think an excuse would have been IE: Greenwood only scored because our best Defensive LB was injured. That's an excuse or at least an attempt at an excuse. There is no excuse for the Grove not stopping Greenwood from scoring. I am simply pointing out that the very late hit on the QB did take away an interception which means Greenwood no longer has the ball on that possession.Which means it is not first and goal on the 5 yrd line. That is the first time I have seen MB flagged for that. It was the right call but it certainly enabled Greenwood to be able to score. If MB doesn't make that penalty then it is a very high probability that Greenwood only scores 1 TD for the football game. Thats not making an excuse its making a fact based off of the actual game. 

also I personally believe that if Gilmer beat us they would be playing Wimberley. Maybe not "of old" but still pretty dang good. 

7 hours ago, gmgksa1 said:

Why is there always an excuse as to why someone actually scored on the Hawks? I see Carthage And Gilmer mentioned over and over but what you fail to realize is that PG has yet to beat Carthage and Gilmer isn’t the Gilmer of old. Any team can schedule a powerhouse and lose the trick is to get a win now and then. I’m not bashing PG by no means what they have done is pretty impressive but not giving The Texans a fighting chance is not very smart. I do believe the game will be Closer than expected. My guess on the outcome is ..... Wimbo with a shocker by 7 

I don't see anyone making excuses for teams scoring on PG. with the exception of Gladewater, everyone did.

With the exception of Carthage and Gilmer, we have played powerhouses and won. 43-4 over these three years. 

I don't see anyone Not giving Wimberley a fighting chance, any team playing in the state final is going to be good. 

But when most pundits and fans know that PG plays in a tougher region, and when the difference in rankings reflects that all season,

I don't see any reason to pick Wimberley, Homer or not.

This is not Globo Gym vs Average Joes. 

Pleasant Grove just knocked off another regional champ with punity, and had two of their top four in the RB stable out practically the entire game.

It's not that PG fan Base is "not smart" in 'Not giving Wimberley a chance".

It's what all factors and stats available, combined with common sense, and well seasoned with a little homerism bring to conclusion.

Not saying Wimberley can't win. People said that about PG in 2017.

PG had Cuero on the ropes, leading after three.

I just don't see it happening. 

It's not personal, it's just business.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HawkEye said:

I don't see anyone making excuses for teams scoring on PG. with the exception of Gladewater, everyone did.

With the exception of Carthage and Gilmer, we have played powerhouses and won. 43-4 over these three years. 

I don't see anyone Not giving Wimberley a fighting chance, any team playing in the state final is going to be good. 

But when most pundits and fans know that PG plays in a tougher region, and when the difference in rankings reflects that all season,

I don't see any reason to pick Wimberley, Homer or not.

This is not Globo Gym vs Average Joes. 

Pleasant Grove just knocked off another regional champ with punity, and had two of their top four in the RB stable out practically the entire game.

It's not that PG fan Base is "not smart" in 'Not giving Wimberley a chance".

It's what all factors and stats available, combined with common sense, and well seasoned with a little homerism bring to conclusion.

Not saying Wimberley can't win. People said that about PG in 2017.

PG had Cuero on the ropes, leading after three.

I just don't see it happening. 

It's not personal, it's just business.

Could not have stated any better!

2 hours ago, Hawks2021 said:

Interesting take -

Probably the greatest thing about HS sports is it the last level that heart and soul play a more important role than talent in determining the outcome of a game.  You take a team w/ average talent and great heart and a team with great talent and attitude and effort issues and the team with great heart will win most every time.

I say that because we are now looking at a game with two teams that seem to have heart in spades.  So when evaluating this game I go back to last years championship game to get an idea on who is going to win.  Last year, both PG and Cuero were full of heart and effort.  That was obvious throughout the game.  The difference in that game was that Cuero was a team full of seniors and also had probably the second best player on the field in ANY of the championship games that week. (I say the Longview kid might have been better)

The talent gap between Cuero last year and PG was the reason that Cuero was able to pull away and win that game.  They earned it - they were the better team.

This year, it is obvious that PG is the more talented team.  On offense - #2 is going to BYU and all of their blogs and inside information talk about how he is likely to make a huge impact on the team as a freshman.  PG also has a very talented defense with three kids on the DL who are juniors who have offers from multiple top tier schools (40, 44, 50).  I don't see anyone on the Wimberley team that can consistently block 40 and 44 all game.  Both of those juniors will have a big impact in the game.

When you fill in the next level of talent on their team it is unquestionable that they go into this game as the more talented team.

Wimberley will score, they will put pressure on PG in the game - Just like last year PG did the same to Cuero.

But unless something crazy happens - a turned ankle, sprained knee, a helmet on the ball in just the right place - PG is going to win this tomorrow.

Their coaching is too good, the talent is too good, their effort and heart is too good.  They are a testament to a great coaching staff and have worked as hard or harder than anyone in Texas over the last 4 years.  Getting to state is awesome - doing it three years in a row is epic and a reflecting on the work the entire program has put in.  Good luck to 'em.

PG 45-28

Now that right there says it all! Great post!

I can live with that. I have no dog in the fight I bleed green (Cuero) and we had a down year but it happens. No one expected us to beat Wimberley in the last game of District or play Navarro to within a TD but our young team started to figure it out at the end of the year but like you said they had heart and mix in a hell of a lot of pride and you never know that’s why you play the game. Good luck to both team Friday but I’ll be pulling for our district to get back 2 back state championships. May both teams play up to their capabilities and it be an injury free game... there’s nothing like High School football in the state of Texas 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

T. Cross -26 for 149- long 20- 5 ypc.

This is his exact stats. Now what I would like to point out is that on his last 2 carries with under a minute left in the game he had 34 yrds. Pg in Prevent mode.So up to the last 2 garbage time runs he had 24 for 115- 4 ypc. Easily his worst game of the season.

So, if your son was a running back for Pleasant Grove, and tomorrow he carried 24 times for 115 yards, would you say he averaged 4 yards a carry, 4.8 yards a carry, or 5 yards a carry ?