Pottsboro vs Grandview 3a 1 state game

Guest Tiger03lb

Looking forward to see Pottsboro play for the first time. It's good to see some new blood in the game; besides, what a great story for this community. 

If you beat GV, you've definitely earned it. They are a well oiled machine that does't make mistakes.

I have no dog in this one, but I got GV by at least 2 TD's. Hope I'm wrong and it's a close game.

7 hours ago, Yoe09 said:

The "if" game can be played a lot.  I fall into that same trap myself at times.  

In Cameron, you can commonly here:

1. What if Traion Smith would not have been hurt in the first half of the 2015 state game with Brock?

2. What if Cameron could have taken Daingerfield to overtime in 2010 finals?

3. What if the official in 1987 did not miss a blatant call versus Cuero in the semis?

4. What if I didn't eat Taco Bell last night?

I understand people's pain (one way or another), but things do happen for a reason. 

You have to give credit to Pottsboro.  They have taken that next step in 2019.  

Correct 09. Dandy Don said it best.

Howard Cosell: “If Los Angeles wins, it’s a big one, but San Francisco is still very much in it.”
Don Meredith: “If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas.

11 hours ago, CMat79 said:

Correct 09. Dandy Don said it best.

Howard Cosell: “If Los Angeles wins, it’s a big one, but San Francisco is still very much in it.”
Don Meredith: “If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas.

I love Don Meredith but people seem to think that those playing the if game are just making excuses for why they lost and actually believe they had the better team. That's not the case. All teams look back and see where they might could have done a better job. Fact is Region 2 had some really good teams and several of them could easily still be playing now. I don't think Pottsboro was head and shoulders better than any of those other teams.

All that being said, I'm taking Pottsboro in this game. On paper i believe the Zebras are probably the better team, but Pottsboro has found the way to win the close games in the playoffs. For a team that's never been this far they sure are playing like they have. I believe this is the Cardinal's year. Everything is following into place and they are playing great football. 

Looking forward to this game. Two awesome teams. Haven’t seen the zebras play, but I’ve seen tons of highlights. Very good qb. I have seen Pottsboro play and they too have a good qb and a talented bunch of receivers. Good luck to both teams and I hope there are no serious injuries. 

21 hours ago, ObiOne said:

@Pax, have you had a chance to look at this game?  Thanks

In all games, Pottsboro is scoring 45.7 points per game against defenses that allow 26.6 ppg, for an offensive swing of +19.1.  Grandview is scoring 41.1 points a game vs defenses that allow 25.4 ppg for an offensive swing of +15.8.  Pottsboro is holding teams that score 29.1 per game on average to 19.1 (+10.1 defensive swing) while Grandview is holding teams scoring 33.4 ppg to 14.4 (+19.0 defensive swing).  Overall, Pottboro's swing is +29.8 to Grandview's +34.4.  If Pottsboro swings the game like they normally do, they win 34-31.  If Grandview swings the game like they normally do, they win 35-27.  When these two swings do not agree, it can go either way.  The prediction for this game is Grandview 33, Pottsboro 31. 

Only considering playoff games, both offenses have been impressive with Pottsboro scoring 43.8 a game against defenses that only allow 19.5 while Grandview is averaging 41.0 a game against defenses that are allowing 17.6.  Pottsboro with the slight edge here with the offensive swing of +24.3 to Grandview's +23.4 in the playoffs.  Grandview however has been far more impressive on the defensive side of the ball in the playoffs holding teams which are averaging 42.2 points a game to just 16.8 in the playoffs.  Pottsboro is allowing 27.0 per game to teams averaging 32.8 ppg.  Grandview with the clear advantage defensively in the playoffs with a +25.4 defensive swing to Pottsboro's +5.8.  Overall, Grandview's playoff swing is +48.8 to Pottsboro's +30.1. 

Other stats I find interesting and relevant :

Both offenses have proven to have the ability to score points, so both defenses are going up against potent offenses.  I consider a team averaging 35 or more points as having a good offense.  Pottsboro has played 4 opponents that average 35 or more while Grandview has played 8 teams averaging 35 or more.  Of the 4 good offenses that Pottsboro has played, these teams average 41.0 ppg and Pottsboro has allowed 24.8 ppg to these offenses for a defensive swing of +16.2.  Grandview's 8 good offensive opponents average 42.5 ppg and Grandview is holding these high-scoring offenses to just 17.1 ppg for a defensive swing of +25.4. 

On the flip side, I consider defenses that hold teams to 21 or fewer points as good.  Both teams have played 5 games against good defenses.  Pottsboro's good defensive opponents average 12.7 ppg allowed, and Pottsboro has scored 37.4 ppg against these defenses.  Grandview's good defensive opponents average 13.9 ppg allowed and they have scored 32.8 ppg against these defenses.  Pottsboro holds the offensive edge here +24.7 to Grandview's +18.9.

All things considered, on paper, Pottsboro's offense is about 6 points better than Grandview's while Grandview's defense is about 9 points better than Pottsboro's.  Prediction :

Grandview 33

Pottsboro 30

I'll be at the games early tomorrow.  Gunter and Pottsboro fans will be sitting on the same side, so I will be there to support Pottsboro, and I hope I'm wrong about this one.  It's hard to win three games in a row that come right down to the wire, and it looks like this could be another one of those. 

• Like 1