The Smoakhouse Forums
Ilovefootball2

Garrison AD/HF

This one should be interesting. They have a great tradition, especially of big kids that can be developed into linemen that allow you to take over a game with a power running attack. They’ve also had their fair share of athletes as well. Good gig. 

• Like 1

The kids are there, just yet to be determined if someone can inspire them to work hard and demand excellence.  Both lines will be scary for several years if they'll live in the weight room.  They have the size and natural ability, just no hair on their chest yet.  LOL

• Haha 1

if i remember correctly prince has been in coaching for around 20 years. he might just be tired of all the time coaches put in every year.

• Like 1

I hope it's someone who runs under center with some form of the flexbone or wing t. I know it takes time to learn but we ain't learned the spread in the last 8 years.

I was told there were over 70 applicants last time.  Some top coordinators from some very successful big schools.  I just hope they select one of the most qualified applicants and not someone based on other factors .... How about a OC from Carthage, Gunter, Pleasant Grove, Grandview or somewhere like that ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

I was told there were over 70 applicants last time.  Some top coordinators from some very successful big schools.  I just hope they select one of the most qualified applicants and not someone based on other factors .... How about a OC from Carthage, Gunter, Pleasant Grove, Grandview or somewhere like that ....

Everyone always wants an OC. smh. 

33 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Cooper hired a coordinator from Gunter 2 years ago. Hasn't gone so well. That's not a knock on the coach. Got to have the players too. Coach cant do it all. 

We have had the talent to have done very well with the right offensive system.  It's a great job for the right guy.  Lots of talent on the way up ...

20 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

We have had the talent to have done very well with the right offensive system.  It's a great job for the right guy.  Lots of talent on the way up ...

That's good. Hopefully they will get someone in place after the new year and have time for a full off season.

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Jeff Griffin from Carthage should be next in line for a Head Coaching position.  Definitely paid his dues.  

• Stinks 1

10 minutes ago, bmoc said:

Jeff Griffin from Carthage should be next in line for a Head Coaching position.  Definitely paid his dues.  

Is he a middle school coach? 

How about Craig Barker coming back? Had a lot of success at Garrison in hid brief stay.

5 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Is he a middle school coach? 

How about Craig Barker coming back? Had a lot of success at Garrison in hid brief stay.

Yes, pretty sure he is still at the middle school.  

Wonder if Barker would want to go back. His family recently moved back to Kaufman. 

Art Briles gonna be Garrisons new HC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grinder said:

why not a defensive coordinator? 

Defense hasn't really been our problem, we need someone who can put in a more effective offense and use the talent we have.  The type of offense we have been running hasn't really taken advantage of some of our talent.  We are far too predictable and one dimensional  ... I would love to see an offense something like Gunter, or even Joaquin runs ...

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Defense hasn't really been our problem, we need someone who can put in a more effective offense and use the talent we have.  The type of offense we have been running hasn't really taken advantage of some of our talent.  We are far too predictable and one dimensional  ... I would love to see an offense something like Gunter, or even Joaquin runs ...

Pretty sure if you don’t make an inside hire, your new AD is gonna want to bring his own DC. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Pretty sure if you don’t make an inside hire, your new AD is gonna want to bring his own DC. 

I fully expect that ...  that's the norm ...

19 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I fully expect that ...  that's the norm ...

While we’re discussing it, you’ve been pretty outspoken about Garrison being one-dimensional. The local team you keep bringing up as what you would like to see them emulate is Joaquin. You are aware that Joaquin runs the football roughly 95% of the time, right? 

Yes that's 95% of the time with a chance of 4 ball carriers on each snap not just 1. And I dont want to hear about keying off what the linemen are doing that's hog wash. 16 17 and young 18 year old kids just flow to the ball carrier. This ain't the sec.