Joe Willis Named Head Football Coach at Tyler Lee...

Stoney

16 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

A lot is a lot to say IMO. Even if he lands that Lee job (which it sounds like he's going to), you really think he's going to be there long enough to win "a lot?"

This would be just like Mathias over in Marshall IMO. Stepping stone to getting back to a higher level.

If Briles gets to Lee its a 6A job outside of a major metro area where the media will likely be friendly simply because its one of the bigger games in town and they won't want to lose access...I cant see him leaving Lee for much other than maybe a college gig and he may still be too hot to handle for a D1 coordinator gig much less a head coaching gig...JMO 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

A lot is a lot to say IMO. Even if he lands that Lee job (which it sounds like he's going to), you really think he's going to be there long enough to win "a lot?"

This would be just like Mathias over in Marshall IMO. Stepping stone to getting back to a higher level.

Yeah, pretty much this. 

IF Briles goes there, he'll have one or two seasons (two seasons TOPS) where he has success, then he'll likely jump to middling college team desperate to turn things around, and willing to put up with a little media noise to get it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

Yeah, pretty much this. 

IF Briles goes there, he'll have one or two seasons (two seasons TOPS) where he has success, then he'll likely jump to middling college team desperate to turn things around, and willing to put up with a little media noise to get it. 

Completely agree.

The modern day 5 step Coaching Career Rehab Plan

1. Take a year off at least to recharge, align your chakra, whatever floats your boat

2.Go to a small school that will catch all the hell for hiring you. Watch out for pitchforks and torches. 

3. Leave that school and move to a slightly bigger job, notice the backlash has lessened

4.  Leave that job for a bigger one that is just below where you got in trouble to start with

5.Win a ton of games and get the Bud Kilmer statue

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, VonG said:

It depends on what kind of talent you get from the middle schools. I don't care how much x's and o's you know. You have to have Jimmy's and Joe's at the top level. That would be the hard part for Lee. You never know what's coming through the middle schools in Tyler. Lee could get the cream of the crop for 4 or 5 years. Then JT could get the same thing for 4 or 5 years. 

Nothing against Traylor, but Briles is a better coach, but at the end of the day, its about the Jimmy's and Joes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

What’s wrong with it is that he ONLY wants LEE to be that way lol. They wouldn’t dare try to get high profile coach for JT ever.We only get in house coaches.  So that’s what’s wrong with it. 

Tell me  how many high profile coaches have tried to come to JT. Tell me how many have tried to come to Lee? Lee hired the same type of coach JT hired. A position coach with no OC or DC experience let alone head coaching experience. It's not that Tisd doesn't want to hire a high profile coach for JT.  A high profile coach has to apply for the job first. They haven't had one apply since  Coach Allen Wilson. Most high profile coaches likes one horse towns. Tyler is not set up that way. 

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Nothing against Traylor, but Briles is a better coach, but at the end of the day, its about the Jimmy's and Joes.

I know. You still have to have players. Briles is a proven winner.  Does Lee have the qb to run the offense Briles loves to run? Right now I say the answer is no. I don't see one coming up in the next few years either. 

2 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

Tyler Lee would be a better fit for Briles.  Kids could transfer in from the larger city stand point.  A lot of talent in Tyler.  Traylor did a heck of a job there and I’m sure there is plenty of talent left on the table. A Briles hire would help keep that talent from transferring to John Tyler or elsewhere in Tyler.  

No one in Tisd is transferring nowhere in Tyler unless you want to sit out a couple of years. 

25 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

Tyler Lee would be a better fit for Briles.  Kids could transfer in from the larger city stand point.  A lot of talent in Tyler.  Traylor did a heck of a job there and I’m sure there is plenty of talent left on the table. A Briles hire would help keep that talent from transferring to John Tyler or elsewhere in Tyler.  

This. People are talking about what players they have now. They will come. Heck, they were moving from Kansas and Colorado to Mt. Vernon. Lol. You don't think surrounding Tyler kids would be moving in?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VonG said:

I'm talking about kids already in Tisd. 

Thanks. I think they would draw a lot of kids from surrounding districts. 

In TISD can kids choose in middle school where they want to go to high school or is it assigned? And how many years do they have to sit out if they transfer as say a 9th grader?

2 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Thanks. I think they would draw a lot of kids from surrounding districts. 

In TISD can kids choose in middle school where they want to go to high school or is it assigned? And how many years do they have to sit out if they transfer as say a 9th grader?

Nope not anymore. You have to go to your neighborhood school. They have to sit out 2 years. One on varsity and one on sub varsity. It's not worth the risk. 

3 minutes ago, VonG said:

Nope not anymore. You have to go to your neighborhood school. They have to sit out 2 years. One on varsity and one on sub varsity. It's not worth the risk. 

Definitely not. I wouldn't be surprised if that is something that eventually changes. I'm sure there are some but I cant think of another multi high school district that has that same policy.  

3 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Denton ISD has a similar policy, but again that wouldn't impact kids from outside of TISD coming...and it wouldnt prevent kids from inside TISD finding their way into the Lee feeder pattern in 7th grade

Tisd adopted that policy from Denton. 

30 minutes ago, VonG said:

Yes you just change over in middle school to the lee district and bam then it will start. Then outsiders come in too. 

I wonder on what the coaches at Lee are going to do now. New head coach wants to bring in his guys. Who ever gets the job, I don't believe Tisd is going to let him clean house. They are teachers first. You have to take that into consideration. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

I wonder on what the coaches at Lee are going to do now. New head coach wants to bring in his guys. Who ever gets the job, I don't believe Tisd is going to let him clean house. They are teachers first. You have to take that into consideration. 

I think Chapel Hill pretty much cleaned house