Joe Willis Named Head Football Coach at Tyler Lee...

Stoney

55 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

never say never.  Coach Dereck Rush left JT in 2012 for Conroe Oak Ridge. John Tyler was fresh off a semi final run and had almost the entire team returning the next yr. As a matter of fact, they started the next season ranked #1 and they made it to state semi finals again with a coach who had never been a coordinator or head coach.  

In other words, Coach Rush left a state title contender for a program that had little to no football history.  You never know what these coaches will do, but if the money, location, and opportunity is better, they will leave regardless of the talent because many times these so call better opportunities don't come around often, so you have to take them when they are available.

Not to mention Lee has a good sophomore class themselves.

But, I don't see Berry going there.

Berry is cut from the John King coaching tree, being DC at Longview up until 2009 before going to Gladewater. He shares alot of the same philosophies as JK, one of them.... nondesire to be in a multi HS ISD.

Not to mention the I Form...I don't see folks at Lee giving up the spread for it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

never say never.  Coach Dereck Rush left JT in 2012 for Conroe Oak Ridge. John Tyler was fresh off a semi final run and had almost the entire team returning the next yr. As a matter of fact, they started the next season ranked #1 and they made it to state semi finals again with a coach who had never been a coordinator or head coach.  

In other words, Coach Rush left a state title contender for a program that had little to no football history.  You never know what these coaches will do, but if the money, location, and opportunity is better, they will leave regardless of the talent because many times these so call better opportunities don't come around often, so you have to take them when they are available.

Coach Rush left TISD to join AD Danny Long in Conroe.

Long was his boss in Tyler and was the one who gave him the opportunity at JT.

Most times it's not about the job BUT the people you work for and with !

59 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Not to mention Lee has a good sophomore class themselves.

But, I don't see Berry going there.

Berry is cut from the John King coaching tree, being DC at Longview up until 2009 before going to Gladewater. He shares alot of the same philosophies as JK, one of them.... nondesire to be in a multi HS ISD.

Not to mention the I Form...I don't see folks at Lee giving up the spread for it.

Coach Berry is actually from the Pat Collins Coaching Tree !

Collins brought BOTH Berry and King with him to Longview when he arrived in 2000.

King was handed the "keys" to the Lobo kingdom while Berry was also an Assistant at Longview. In other words, the two were essentially equals on the Collins staff but that all changed in 2004.

Ultimately, Berry would leave Longview with Coach Jerrod Baugh when Baugh was hired as the Gladewater Head Coach after the 2009 season where there were some issues on that Longview staff...primarily between King and Berry. 

Baugh would then take a number of LISD Coaches with him to Gladewater when he was hired there after that season.

Berry was then elevated to AD/Head Coach in 2014 after Baugh was dismissed for an "off field" transgression.

Anyways...Coach Berry would be a really strong candidate for the Lee job and should definitely be considered. Of course, that's IF he chose to apply at TISD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger7 said:

Gold from Whitehouse would be a great person to at least give an interview.. excellent young head coach 

I agree. Winning games at Whitehouse with 0 talent. Lee doesn’t have to look far. Aggie background I believe. 

6 minutes ago, txk85 said:

What does the job pay? since Lee is one of the only schools in this area where the hc is not the AD i didnt know how the pay compared to like Longview, Marshall or Texas High?

Whitehouse AD is not the HFC 

25 minutes ago, txk85 said:

What does the job pay? since Lee is one of the only schools in this area where the hc is not the AD i didnt know how the pay compared to like Longview, Marshall or Texas High?

Coach Traylor made a $107,000 a year. 

1 hour ago, RandyJohnson said:

Coach Rush left TISD to join AD Danny Long in Conroe.

Long was his boss in Tyler and was the one who gave him the opportunity at JT.

Most times it's not about the job BUT the people you work for and with !

We know that, but he still left a state caliber team for a lesser known program. 

2 minutes ago, VonG said:

We know that, but he still left a state caliber team for a lesser known program. 

NOTE: The last sentence in my post was CLEARLY the reason for him leaving !!

"Most times it's not about the JOB but the people you work for and with" !

That obviously went right past you !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RKS21 said:

Whitehouse AD is not the HFC 

Adam Cook is now AD. Since Gold got to Whitehouse vs 5A East TX teams..

4-0 Nacogdoches

4-0 Hallsville

2-0 Pine Tree

2-0 Mt. Pleasant 

2-0 Sulphur Springs

3-1 Jacksonville 

3-1 Lindale

0-2 Marshall.. 

(20-4)

Don’t see that they played JT or Lee. 

13 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

NOTE: The last sentence in my post was CLEARLY the reason for him leaving !!

"Most times it's not about the JOB but the people you work for and with" !

That obviously went right past you !

I know exactly what you said. I just stated he left a good team. That went right pass your head. He been wanted to leave Tisd after a few years of getting the head coaching job at JT. He got the opportunity when Long left.

1 minute ago, VonG said:

I know exactly what you said. I just stated he left a good team. That went right pass your head. He been wanted to leave Tisd after a few years of getting the head coaching job at JT. He got opportunity when Long left.

Long left TISD in January 2011 then Rush followed after that next season in 2011.

Long had the Head Coaching position to fill at Oak Ridge High School at that time. Rush interviewed and was then hired for the 2012 season.

CLEARLY, it wasn't about  working at JT any longer  even with it's success and what was coming on it's plate  BUT rather about whom Rush wanted to work for and with  !

The AD at TISD wasn't who he wanted to work for...it wasn't anything against the John Tyler Lions !

1 minute ago, RandyJohnson said:

Long left TISD in January 2011 then Rush followed after that next season in 2011.

Long had the Head Coaching position to fill at Oak Ridge High School at that time. Rush interviewed and was then hired for the 2012 season.

CLEARLY, it wasn't about  working at JT any longer  even with it's success and what was coming on it's plate  BUT rather about whom Rush wanted to work for and with  !

The AD at TISD wasn't who he wanted to work for...it wasn't anything against the John Tyler Lions !

Yep

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyJohnson said:

Coach Berry is actually from the Pat Collins Coaching Tree !

Collins brought BOTH Berry and King with him to Longview when he arrived in 2000.

Okay, being politically correct, obviously both were brought in by Collins.

But Berry still worked under King which is what I was saying. 

Baugh took Berry, Langford and a few others with him to Gladewater after the 09 season, remember all that stuff like yesterday, was during my latter time in the program.

Lee could use Berry's defensive mind no doubt... he'd just have to bring in an OC more fitting for the Lee program. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Anything is possible. I think he really enjoys the small school aspect of things though. He’s had his run at some big schools, although not as a head coach. I would be willing to bet he’d be leaning more towards retirement after this group he has graduates more so then leaving for another school. 

I could be completely wrong though lol. 

8 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Okay, being politically correct, obviously both were brought in by Collins.

But Berry still worked under King which is what I was saying. 

Baugh took Berry, Langford and a few others with him to Gladewater after the 09 season, remember all that stuff like yesterday, was during my latter time in the program.

Lee could use Berry's defensive mind no doubt... he'd just have to bring in an OC more fitting for the Lee program. 

Berry sure can scheme up some defenses. Great great defensive mind. I just don’t see it as a fit. Even with Louvier we hardly ever left the I 

18 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Is there any real traction with berry or is this just forum talk?

Forum Talk.

Pretty much from what I know, he wouldnt go to Lee.

There's only one ETX big Berry would leave G-water for IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger7 said:

I’m hearing the guy from Waco Connally is the front runner 

That would be Shane Anderson.

He was an Assistant at Lee some 8 or so years back.

He then was the DC at Waco Midway before moving on to Connally the past five years where he's had success especially the last two years going at 8-4 in 2018 then 12-1 this year.

Interestingly enough he's a graduate of Connally High !

It obvious there's the TISD connection but would he leave his Alma Mater to come back as the Head Coach this time ?

IF he's the "front-runner" according to "Tiger7" then TISD may already have their pick !?!

We shall see.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

That would be Shane Anderson.

He was an Assistant at Lee some 8 or so years back.

He then was the DC at Waco Midway before moving on to Connally the past five years where he's had success especially the last two years going at 8-4 in 2018 then 12-1 this year.

Interestingly enough he's a graduate of Connally High !

It obvious there's the TISD connection but would he leave his Alma Mater to come back as the Head Coach this time ?

IF he's the "front-runner" according to "Tiger7" then TISD may already have their pick !?!

We shall see.

He also resigned at Connally to step away from coaching. Then a few weeks/month or so later went back. 

12 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

He also resigned at Connally to step away from coaching. Then a few weeks/month or so later went back. 

That was in December 2016...three years ago.

Not really sure how pertinent that would be today because we all know that "most" coaches are upwardly mobile, enjoy a challenge and have aspirations to earn more $$$.

Time will tell...