Joe Willis Named Head Football Coach at Tyler Lee...

Stoney

40 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

My guess is you dont know Colleyville too well....Lee has some old money but the sheer numbers of folks with money isn't anything close to Colleyville

I'm not concerned with Colleyville. I was just speaking on Lee.

JT and their theories/infatuation about Lee.  It must be true because someone spoke it into existence on Smoaky.  I never heard Owens complain about old money for the 15 years he was the coach.  I don't think it exists..  Just an attempt to take a side jab at your cross town school.  And the comment that there "won't be any talent" at Lee after next year doesn't meet the smell test.  The largest school in East Texas that is growing with a demographically balanced population doesn't have any talent??  Give me a break.  As I have said before, a great program isn't built on shiny objects.  I can think of multiple players over the last 15 years that were middle school studs that never even finished in either program.  They will have plenty of talent to win with a coach like Coach Willis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R E LEE said:

JT and their theories/infatuation about Lee.  It must be true because someone spoke it into existence on Smoaky.  I never heard Owens complain about old money for the 15 years he was the coach.  I don't think it exists..  Just an attempt to take a side jab at your cross town school.  And the comment that there "won't be any talent" at Lee after next year doesn't meet the smell test.  The largest school in East Texas that is growing with a demographically balanced population doesn't have any talent??  Give me a break.  As I have said before, a great program isn't built on shiny objects.  I can think of multiple players over the last 15 years that were middle school studs that never even finished in either program.  They will have plenty of talent to win with a coach like Coach Willis.

I feel what you are saying. But you got to be crazy if you don't think there are politics at Lee. 

I'll give you this- there are probably a few people left in S Tyler that were not content with a .451 winning percentage or a .365 winning percentage.  A solid admin in place that supports athletics at both schools, direct middle school feeders and an academic B rating (that is looking like it could be an A next year) bode well for the future for Lee.  Building on some of the things Traylor was able to do and playing good football should quiet them down.

20 hours ago, VonG said:

I don't know about much better facilities. Lee is in the process of getting a brand new school and Rose Stadium has definitely been updated. But like you said, you are not familiar with either situation. 

I was not intending for that to come off as a negative comment. I grew up on the south side of Tyler. Not familiar with the current Tyler Lee situation, but I do know that the facilities are not great. Rose Stadium is definitely much improved. CHHS has a pretty sweet indoor and looks to be a nice place to live. Just curious if anyone had any insight. I wish Coach Willis nothing but luck. Would love to see Tyler Lee make a deep run.

I appreciate the feedback though.

8 hours ago, MattStepp said:

1) He got a nice raise

2) Cost of living 

3) He will have to play politics at Lee, but NOTHING like at Colleyville

4) Football is king in East Texas not at Colleyville

5) Coordinators teaching load is much, much better

6) Middle school setup is better

7) He's maxed out Colleyville; probably not much left to accomplish

8 ) If Tyler gets the indoor facilities that are talked about there will be no difference in the facilities

9) Did I mention that raise? 

Now, this is the information I was looking for. Appreciate you Stepp!

4 hours ago, R E LEE said:

When the W’s come let me know. I mean coming over and drawing the line into butler college to take JT players is a great start 😉. 

4 hours ago, R E LEE said:

High enrollment doesnt mean you have high talent. See Plano ISD.

I've seen first hand whats at Tyler Lee. Outside of that 2022 group with Miller and Donnell....not too impressed.

And according to the JT fans, JT will get majority of the good incoming 9th graders. So doesnt appear that class will have much either.

4 hours ago, VonG said:

I feel what you are saying. But you got to be crazy if you don't think there are politics at Lee. 

There are politics at every school......most coaches go into it knowing that...but the politics at a place like Colleyville are much, much larger than at Tyler Lee....Lee will be similar to Cedar Park and the only reason WIllis in essence left Cedar Park was that Leander ISD's pay is not good..there's more people with money and more money than at Lee....as someone said Colleyville is essentially Southlake without the football success...

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

The demographics of Lee and Cedar Park are very different... maybe you meant same as far as politics, etc

Yes....Cedar Park folks are a little more laid back...fewer helicopter parents etc......they have their issues too but most of that kinda thing is in other places...

1 hour ago, upullinmychain said:

I'm a boomer for a Lil ol 2a school, but in my heart, I always pray a little for JT, Lee and Marshall and pine-tree.. I believe that for your area to really shine, the bigger brothers in our region must excel. So I wish Mr coach one helluva freshman season at Lee. Chain out.. 

You don't pray for the other big schools? 

I think we'd all prefer to see East Texas 5A and 6A do well.

We've all had problems with consistency in the playoffs with the exception of Longview.

JT, Marshall, Lufkin.... have all had some good playoff runs here and there in the last 10 years.  But none of us have strung together several years of deep playoff runs.

Last decade has been rough on Texas High, Sulphur Springs, Jacksonville......  and those were playoff mainstays with good runs 2000-2010ish....

Hopefully things will improve in the new decade.  Would love to see Lee do well in 6A....   Texas High, Marshall, JT, Lufkin all do well in 5A.  

Carthage and Gilmer shouldn't have ALL the fun. lmao.