2A D1 Refugio vs Post

wtxfootball

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Post wouldn't have gotten out of Region 3 ...... not even close ....

By no means do I think Post was not a good team, but sometimes a team don't face some real good competition until they get to play another region. Just saying.

Congrats to both teams on a great season.

3 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

84 of the 93 boys at Refugio play football. Proud winning tradition they have!

That’s a large part of their success. Say what you will about Herring, but he’s got over 90% of the boys in that high school out for football, and I don’t see a downside to that. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Crawford said:

Wolves would've beaten Post by just as much.

I agree and I made the comment last week that the championship game was held in CyFair at the Berry Center and folks disagreed.  I truly believe that Refugio and SA were the best 2 teams.  My hats off to Refugio for getting it done.  

6 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

I agree and I made the comment last week that the championship game was held in CyFair at the Berry Center and folks disagreed.  I truly believe that Refugio and SA were the best 2 teams.  My hats off to Refugio for getting it done.  

Dismissing Shiner?

Refugio head coach made me laugh in the post game interview......Made a big deal about the game being their 3rd game in 14 days and not having the normal 21 days for 3 games.......Actually during the regular season, with the exception on having a bye somewhere, teams play 3 games in 15 days every time - Friday to Friday to Friday. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, covercity said:

we all know Refugio has a great defense , I think its just that everyone is finding out that post defense is pretty good as well

Exactly! We all knew what Refugio had but Post was a total mystery to most of us...Total lack of a passing game killed Post. One dimensional football usually doesn't win state championships but Post gave it a good try for a half. Refugio just loaded up the line of scrimmage and dared Post to pass...if they could have answered with a couple of passes and kept the ball like they did the first half it might have been close...bottom line the best team won. Congrats to Refugio for another championship.   

14 hours ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

Just by reading comments it appears that the 2 best teams in the state are in fact playing tonight 

Disagree.  Been to each of Refugio's playoff games and would put Post about even with Holland, maybe a little better.  Shiner was the best without any doubt, followed by San Augustine.  The stars simply aligned for Refugio to beat Shiner and Refugio to their credit took advantage of it playing with complete determination and grit.  

1- Refugio; 2 - Shiner; 3 - San Augustine; 4 - San Saba (if their QB wasn't out) 5 - Groveton; 6 - Post/Holland

2 hours ago, wolfpack76 said:

I know that probably makes a SA fan feel good, but just not the case.  Shiner was absolutely incredible, as good as I've seen in 2A.  They probably beat Refugio 99 times out of 100 with the team they had this year, but Refugio found a way on that night and that's all that mattered.  

2 hours ago, Underfront said:

Congrats to Refugio!  Great team effort by the kids!  Am I the only one who felt the halfback pass with :56 left and a 28-7 was classless?? Taking nothing away from the kids!  They played great!

Always remnants of the Refugio haters taking jabs at them after they do something good.  What the heck?  Wasn't classless.  It was just a play.

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Refugio head coach made me laugh in the post game interview......Made a big deal about the game being their 3rd game in 14 days and not having the normal 21 days for 3 games.......Actually during the regular season, with the exception on having a bye somewhere, teams play 3 games in 15 days every time - Friday to Friday to Friday. 

Only reason it was 14 because game was on Wednesday. What a weird one. 

2 hours ago, wolfpack76 said:

I don't know that Dismissing would be the correct word...I think they would be a toss up for 3rd for sure

Wrong.  I don't hype teams, it's not what I do, but that Shiner team was hype worthy and that was the game that determined the state champion, not Refugio vs SA.  Just my opinion having seen both in person.

2 hours ago, Underfront said:

Congrats to Refugio!  Great team effort by the kids!  Am I the only one who felt the halfback pass with :56 left and a 28-7 was classless?? Taking nothing away from the kids!  They played great!

People not even from Refugio have been protesting their fight song. He just letting out a lil frustration.