2A D2 UIL State Championship - Hamlin vs Mart

Crawford

Guest Tiger03lb
3 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

I wonder how competitive #10 for Mart would be at a higher level, say 4A or above?

Probably with some d2 programs in 4a. 

13 hours ago, HGWar6 said:

Mart.  I don't care who wins I just want to see a good game but given that Mart has outscored its last three  opponents by 117 points (#7 Grapeland, Muenster, and #1 Falls City), I don't think Hamlin will be within four scores of them.

Well I was certainly way off.  Congratulations to Mart on No. 8 and 3rd in a row.  Congratulations to Hamlin on a fantastic season and a superb effort in the game.  

• Like 1

Dave campbell nailed 2A THIS YEAR.  Refugio and Mart.  Good thing Mart went small school this year though not talent wise just no depth.  So few players and school has gotton so small.  Refugio has 2 big classes coming up with 70 in each class so probably be 3A div. 2 in 2022.

2 minutes ago, DieHardCubFan said:

Not necessarily.  Only if the two coaches cannot agree on a chapter and crew.

I know that is true for the playoffs leading up to the state championship game but I thought the UIL took over for the final game...if they didn't, Mart would have had to agree to use a chapter that close to Hamlin??? Not likely!!!

5 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

I know that is true for the playoffs leading up to the state championship game but I thought the UIL took over for the final game...if they didn't, Mart would have had to agree to use a chapter that close to Hamlin??? Not likely!!!

Well, in that specific game, they may have gone to the UIL.  However, I know for certain that in four of the games played the two coaches selected and agreed to the crews that worked their games.  With regard to the Mart-Hamlin game, I did hear one coach (from the district Mart was in) that they didn't care what chapter worked their game.

8 minutes ago, DieHardCubFan said:

Well, in that specific game, they may have gone to the UIL.  However, I know for certain that in four of the games played the two coaches selected and agreed to the crews that worked their games.  With regard to the Mart-Hamlin game, I did hear one coach (from the district Mart was in) that they didn't care what chapter worked their game.

Yes, it's almost always resolved in the games leading up to the state championship so the UIL does not have to become involved. I have heard of a couple of situations where coaches were not able to come to an agreement and the UIL  made the decision. We were a part of one of those several years ago. The other coach would not agree with any of our choices and wanted the UIL to make the call. But that is very rare.

I'm almost positive that the UIL appoints the referee crews for the state championship games...got me curious now, I am going to find out for sure. Maybe one of the refs that frequent Smoaky will inform us or someone that has been to the championship game as a coach (we never quite made it)!! LOL!!

On 12/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, Tiger03lb said:

Does UIL setup the officials or do the coaches still set them up when it's at this point?

Coaches agreed to the officials in all the state games this year....same for last year except Duncanville-North Shore Part 1....the two coaches didnt want the UIL to appoint a chapter so they agreed to flip for their preferred crew and Duncanville won the flip....

Mart vs Hamlin: Abilene

Post vs Refugio: Fort Worth

Paul Pewitt vs Gunter: Tyler

Grandview vs Pottsboro: San Antonio

Pleasant Grove vs Wimberley: Fort Worth

Carthage vs La Vega: Fort Worth

Aledo vs FB Marshall: Dallas

Shadow Creek vs Ryan: Tyler

Westlake vs Guyer: Waco

Duncanvile vs North Shore: San Antonio 

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb
33 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Coaches agreed to the officials in all the state games this year....same for last year except Duncanville-North Shore Part 1....the two coaches didnt want the UIL to appoint a chapter so they agreed to flip for their preferred crew and Duncanville won the flip....

Mart vs Hamlin: Abilene

Post vs Refugio: Fort Worth

Paul Pewitt vs Gunter: Tyler

Grandview vs Pottsboro: San Antonio

Pleasant Grove vs Wimberley: Fort Worth

Carthage vs La Vega: Fort Worth

Aledo vs FB Marshall: Dallas

Shadow Creek vs Ryan: Tyler

Westlake vs Guyer: Waco

Duncanvile vs North Shore: San Antonio 

Thank you sir!

14 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

Yes, it's almost always resolved in the games leading up to the state championship so the UIL does not have to become involved. I have heard of a couple of situations where coaches were not able to come to an agreement and the UIL  made the decision. We were a part of one of those several years ago. The other coach would not agree with any of our choices and wanted the UIL to make the call. But that is very rare.

I'm almost positive that the UIL appoints the referee crews for the state championship games...got me curious now, I am going to find out for sure. Maybe one of the refs that frequent Smoaky will inform us or someone that has been to the championship game as a coach (we never quite made it)!! LOL!!

You can google “Larry Allen and Scott Surratt” and go watch the interview from last Wednesday.  Larry asks the question about refs and Scott answers your question.  So, if you trust what Surratt says, you can hear the answer for yourself. 

That being said, Surratt says LV coach likes the Tyler chapter but didn’t want to use them, Surratt didn’t want to use either chapter in the Waco area, and they agreed on Ft. Worth.