The Offical 2020 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Stoney

3 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Maybe Grant Delpit if he doesn't go before.

Could be there. You look at this team’s needs and it’s mainly defense. Safety, corner, run stopping DT, pass rush, TE, wide receiver, might not hurt to look at a possible replacement or backup for Tyron Smith. 

37 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

Do you think the Cowboys re-sign Cooper?  With the way Gallup has stepped up and improved, I don’t think they will.  They can resign Cobb and maybe draft another receiver or sign another free agent at a lower cost from what Cooper will demand.

If Cooper wants a deal similar to the one he’s got now($13.9m) I’d be okay with it. 75 catches for 1,097 yards and 8 tds. I’m not paying him more than that. Just know that you gotta surround Dak with Gallup and another wide receiver or two for when Cooper gets hurt and disappears in games.

• Like 2

As an LSU fan, I would love to see the Cowboys give up the farm for Joe Burrow and let Dak walk.  I think the OL is good enough to protect him.  Jerruh can hire Joe Brady from LSU to be the OC, and all will be perfect for Joe Burrow... but what really happens is the Cowboys resign Dak and Cooper and become strapped for $$$ and have the same team with a new coach next year.

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

As an LSU fan, I would love to see the Cowboys give up the farm for Joe Burrow and let Dak walk.  I think the OL is good enough to protect him.  Jerruh can hire Joe Brady from LSU to be the OC, and all will be perfect for Joe Burrow... but what really happens is the Cowboys resign Dak and Cooper and become strapped for $$$ and have the same team with a new coach next year.

It’s a great year to need a WR in the draft. I know it would stink giving up a 1st rounder just to let Amari walk but if you were interested in doing it you would be in great shape to do it. Lamb, Juedy, Ruggs, Reagor. I could roll with that.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, Stoney said:

Looking like Dallas will have the 17th pick in the draft.

Going back to 1980 the Cowboys have made the 2 best selections at 17 with Emmitt Smith III being the greatest of them all, and Kevin "Pup" Smith being the second best in my opinion.  Robert Brooks was a bust, and was similar to Taco Charlton.  http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Picks/17th-overall/170309/  .   We have all of our draft selections except for #6 that was traded to Miami for Quinn, and I think he was a nice pickup.  Who knows what Jerry is going to do in the offseason.  I'm getting to the point I'd rather not think about it anymore.  

11 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

Am I the only one who's just not impressed with Cooper, especially at that price? Gallup reminds me of Austin... 

Cooper is a top tier WR when things are good - Dak is throwing him the ball often, the ball is on target, and he makes the catch. 
But he easily gets in a funk at Dak, himself, and the coaches. 
Some guys drop a pass or two, and next thing you know, they are unstoppable. Cooper just sulks. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:45 PM, Stoney said:

Looking like Dallas will have the 17th pick in the draft.

I was thinking what if Tua drops to 17 should the Cowboys pick him ?  I think I would the way Dak has been acting recently.  I've seen mock drafts and most of them are projecting the Cowboys to take a cornerback.  I think that is the most pressing need as well as others in the secondary.  They have to cover the receivers long enough to let our pass rush get to the passer.  In the modern pass happy NFL our leading player with interceptions was Xavier Woods with 2, and he's a safety.  Everson Walls had 11 in his rookie season, and he was undrafted.  True they were picking on him because of it, but after awhile he gained respect as a corner.  Larry Brown a 12th round draft pick had two interceptions in Super Bowl XXX.  Robert Quinn had 11.5 sacks while Tank only had 5.  We should have more production than that.  

13 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Dallas could get a 5th round compensatory draft pick for Cole Beasley. Would give Dallas 8 picks in the 2020 draft with two 5th round picks. 

Beasley was their most consistent receiver and they let him go ...

• Like 3

I haven't seen anything impressive out of Cooper. Haven't seen him get a lot of YAC. Seen him drop balls right in his hands, half the time with no DB within a two yards of him. Unless the new coach wants to see how he does in the system he's bringing in, shop him.

• Stinks 1

Dallas Cowboys Draft Needs-

QB- You should be good with Prescott and Rush. Dallas could always take a shot on a 3rd day pick (4-7 round)

RB- Zeke and Pollard are set. Weber and Chunn could be your RB3/ST guy. Dallas shouldn’t be in the market for a RB unless it’s a 3rd day pick (4-7)

***WR- Amari Cooper is he a WR1 or not? Gallup looks like a solid WR2. Randall Cobb is a FA. Tavon Austin is more ST guy than reciever threat. This is the position where I could Dallas spending pick #17 on a WR or a day 2 pick (2-3 round). Then they could probably come back on day 3 (4-7) and take another WR. It’s a deep WR draft. If you miss early, there will be WR2/WR3 talent into day 3.

***TE- Witten should hang’em up. Jarwin has shown flashes but Dallas has shown they’d rather trust a tv announcer over him. Dalton Schultz is a TE3 who really hasn’t lived up to a 4th round pick. Dallas could use a day 2 pick on a guy, unless they decide Jarwin is the guy or a FA addition could be. 

***OL- Everybody is locked up on the line. That’s good and bad. Tyron’s back plus getting older is a concern. Frederick was solid in his first year back. Should be better the further away from his illness. No worries about Martin, Collins or Williams. Connor McGovern was a 3rd pick last year that could start at any of the 3 interior spots if they go down. Brandon Knight, Mitch Hyatt were UDFA finds at OT. I could see Dallas picking up a OT on Day 3(4-7) to groom in case the end of Tyron comes sooner rather than later.

***DE- Tank is a DE1. Quinn was a great trade get but he’s a FA. I’d like him back but at what price. Dorance Armstrong is a rotation guy. Michael Bennett could retire. Dallas needs pass rushers. Dallas needs at least one, maybe 2 from Day 1 through day 3( 1-7)

***DT- Dallas doesn’t invest money or picks on interior lineman except for last year’s 2nd rounder Trysten Hill. Antwaun Woods, Christian Covington are solid but nothing spectacular. Maliek Collins is likely to be a free agent casualty. Dallas needs big fat guys with talent at the 1 and 3 tech. Cheaper ain’t always better. Hopefully the new coach addressee that from day 1 through day 3 (1-7)

***LB- LVE’s neck injury flared up this year. Jaylon Smith got paid and his play took a step back. Sean Lee is older. Joe Thomas could be a free agent casualty. Justin March, Luke Gifford are good ST guys with rotation potential. Dallas could take a guy on day 3(4-7) to replace Lee/Thomas.

***CB- Awuzie and Lewis are still young and cheap. Anthony Brown and Byron Jones are your free agents. Do you pay both? Do you pay only one of them? Dallas will be in the market for cornerback in this draft. Day 1 through day 3 (1-7)

***S- There’s two positions that Dallas doesn’t believe in spending huge resources on: DT and Safety. Xavier Woods is a 6th round pick who doesn’t create turnovers. Jeff Heath is maxed out UDFA who should be more of a rotation guy than a starter. Donovan Wilson was a 6th round preseason standout. Dallas has got to do something to upgrade the backend of their secondary. Give me a walk in day one starter in the first round or day 2 (1-3).

WR, TE, OT, DE, DT, LB, CB, S......that’s Dallas’ biggest needs heading into the 2020 draft.

How could the 2020 first round of the draft play out for Dallas?

Dallas fans want skill positions to be drafted early and often. There could be 3 QBs (Burrow, Tua, Herbert) drafted before 17. That’s moving guys Dallas could value down to them.

Dallas could be in the range to draft a WR like Alabama’s Henry Ruggs or Clemson’s Tee Higgins. The big DT from Auburn Derrick Brown could be there. How about adding a little LSU to the secondary in either S Grant Delpit or CB Kristian Fulton.

Dallas should be able to add a weapon to help Dak on the offense or help shore up a defense that took a major step back last year.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stoney said:

I could live with that for now, but I think Stephen wants to get a deal done for more money with Dak.  He's not worth $40 million, and the highest I would pay him is $30 million, but I think the Cowboys will offer more.  I know Amari wants to remain a Cowboy, and would he take that contract ?  He ranked 8th in receiving yards last year.  After checking current wide receiver contracts I think he's worth $15 million a season and throw in incentive bonuses.