intheknow

2 hours ago, intheknow said:

Paris

North Lamar

Pittsburg

Liberty Eylau

Pleasant Grove

Opinions on how this district will play out?

Once the PG football players get the plays down, PG has a chance to make a nice run. They will be big. They won the Genoa tournament and was not really challenged.  Not sure why they were in that tournament. 

Paris has been to regionals 4 of the past 5 years, and is a good bet to return this season.  Cats are currently 15th ranked and 17-6.  All 6 losses were to Class 5A schools by single digits (6 to Sulphur Springs, 7 to Lindale, 5 to Mount Pleasant, 4 to Princeton, 7 to Hot Springs, and 2 to Greenville).  They beat one ranked 4A (Waxahachie Life), four ranked 3A's (Mineola, Van Alstyne, Commerce, Malakoff) and one 2A (Clarksville).  They return 4 starters plus the district's newcomer of the year and the district's top coach.

PG should finish second, and if their football players meld with the rest of the team could challenge for a return to regionals.  The transition between sports takes awhile and sometimes never happens.

L-E probably has the edge for third with North Lamar and Pitt battling for fourth.

13 hours ago, Parisian said:

Paris has been to regionals 4 of the past 5 years, and is a good bet to return this season.  Cats are currently 15th ranked and 17-6.  All 6 losses were to Class 5A schools by single digits (6 to Sulphur Springs, 7 to Lindale, 5 to Mount Pleasant, 4 to Princeton, 7 to Hot Springs, and 2 to Greenville).  They beat one ranked 4A (Waxahachie Life), four ranked 3A's (Mineola, Van Alstyne, Commerce, Malakoff) and one 2A (Clarksville).  They return 4 starters plus the district's newcomer of the year and the district's top coach.

PG should finish second, and if their football players meld with the rest of the team could challenge for a return to regionals.  The transition between sports takes awhile and sometimes never happens.

L-E probably has the edge for third with North Lamar and Pitt battling for fourth.

Paris vs. PG should be a good match up.    Lots of size on the floor for the Hawks.  

13 hours ago, Parisian said:

I saw Paris at New Boston. I agree they're a threat to return to region. However, this may be one of PG's best basketball teams and I believe they have a chance to go to San Antonio. I agree Paris can beat PG, but the Hawks will be hard to beat in this region. Don't forget Landon Jackson is back this year, and he could be most dominating defensive player in district. Torey Phillips is a 6-7 transfer who takes up the paint and can score inside on anybody. Jackson's brother Layton is a 6-5 threat, 6-5 Marcus Burris is improved, 6-2 Henry candidate for MVP in district. He's a dunking machine, and guard Brett Carmony can shoot the 3. I'm not taking anything away from Paris. They've got great talent and a great coaching staff.

1 hour ago, longhorncrazy said:

They have been beaten already by a couple 4A teams. They are not the team they were last year. Missing 2-3 players who left for greener pastures.

They only got beat by Carter which is 4a but besides that no other 4a team has beat them. I do think Carter or Lincoln has a shot tho I forgot about them.

20 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Nobody is beating faith family period 

PG was close last year at Regionals without 2 of the bigs playing.  They will give them trouble with Jackson, Burris, Phillips and Jackson.    FF regional games and state tourney games were very close.   

16 hours ago, Parisian said:

PG plays Mt. Pleasant Monday.  That will be a good test.  MP doesn't have a lot of height, but they're athletic and relentless on defense.

I agree with what you say. Mount Pleasant isn't big, but very good. Got to remember Pleasant Grove football players have only had one week of practice. They will get better I think.

PG looked good against Henderson tonight. Henderson never challenged in the game. You can already see the improvement as a team. The Henry kid is a special player, lots of talent. You can tell the Phillips kid has played a lot of AAU basketball. He has a good feel of the game on the court. I can see this team making a deep run once everything comes together.

6 hours ago, Parisian said:

I notice the PG-MP game shows a 3:30 start.  Is that for varsity?

I think so. PG Hawks Sports on Facebook will have more information Monday morning. More than one person has said the game will be at the Texarkana A&M campus, not sure why it is not at the PG gym.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:35 AM, Parisian said:

It is getting hard for Clarksville to match up with good 4A schools now.  I know it’s basketball but their snapshot number was117 kids total in HS.  Do pretty good considering their size.  If Red Rivers 4 schools consolidated you would only have a average 3A D1 school

Tuesday's games:

• Paris 89, Pittsburrg 71
  • Liberty-Eylau 60, North Lamar 50

Friday's schedule:

• PG @ Paris
  • Pitt @ L-E

Had my first look at the new Pitt gym last night.  It's a vast improvement over the old barn and seems to be making a difference in shooting percentage.  I don't have exact numbers, but it seemed like Pitt made 50-60% of their shots with at least 15 3's.  It was the best shooting performance that I've seen all year by a Paris opponent.  Love the sunken floor and bowl seating on 3 sides.  No doubt it will get some playoff action atlhough parking could be a drawback.

Friday's games:

Boys: Paris 81, Pleasant Grove 58 & North Lamar 60, Pittsburg 50

Girls: PG 81, Paris 37  & NL 63, Pitt 46

Boys standings: Paris 3-0, PG-NL-LE all 1-1, Pitt 0-3

Girls standings PG 4-0, LE 3-1, NL 2-2, Paris 1-3, Pitt 0-4

Tuesday's games: PG @ NL, Pitt @ LE

Paris-PG boys game summary: Paris got its running game going early on turnovers and defensive blocks, while two key PG players got in foul trouble in the first half to help Paris to a 36-21 halftime lead.  Cats stretched the lead to 28 points in the second half before some 3-point shooting by Brett Carmony (15 points on 5 treys) trimmed the margin to 16 at one point.  T'Vondrick Henry led PG with 25 points and Marcus Burris scored 8.  For Paris, Jameon Mitchell scored 20 (4-3s), Jaelyn Lee 19, Trevon Dennis 14, Trae Johnson 9, and Gavyn Hollje 8.

Hawks were missing two of their big men (one with ankle sprain, one on grades), so maybe it's different in the rematch on Feb. 11 in Texarkana.  But the Cats certainly had the edge in quickness in this meeting and are in better basketball shape at this point and time.

Friday's game: Liberty-Eylau 60, Pleasant Grove 58 . . . L-E led throughout but PG made a late run and missed a 3 at the buzzer

North Lamar plays at Paris Saturday.

In girls play, PG beat L-E 65-52 to clinch another district title.  Paris beat NL 63-47...updated girls standings: PG 6-0, L-E 4-2, Paris 2-3, NL 2-4, Pitt 0-5