g

intheknow

2 hours ago, Gen7Dragon said:

Been saying this for years. SFA would be perfect. 

Southland Conference plays their Saturday games at 2:00 and 4:30(one at 4:15). Might be why they don’t play regionals at SFA any more. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Looks like Grapeland wanted to fight Svlle and Tenaha after the game outside.....I believe instead of the Corona virus them folks were suffering from the Colt 45 virus.

I think losing the last 3 years in the regional finals to Shelbyville will make want to fight someone. 

Hopefully next year Grapeland will get over this hump! I could see Grapeland being in the regional finals for the next 6 years easy. 7th and 8th graders will just reload them. 7th graders have some tall ballers. Couple kids 6’2 will probably be pretty tall by high school.  

3 hours ago, Greezychef said:

I think Buckley is the best I've ever seen to play in high school.   He does it all.  

They say the great ones make those around them better and I've seen it from him.

Glad hes graduating.   And good luck at state.  

I agree but in all of Buckley's greatness I think his classmates Kolby Parker and Jordan Boykins are just as much a factor in the overall success. Jordan is literally playing with a torn ACL! He is probably 60% at best.  If he were a 100% who could play within 20 points of us? I also think he is the best big game 3 point shooter to come through these parts. Also of note he just turned 17 in August so he will graduate a really young Sr.

Kolby Parker who does everything well is pure heart!  According to the stats on Max Preps he has drawn over 200 charges these last two seasons! This season I thought he was the difference in the first Tenaha game with some huge shots and yesterday he made some game changing hustle plays that  won't show up in the stats.

Some are legitimate charges.... others are manipulated by a flopping action. He definitely has toughness and grit and thought he was instrumental in the win ysday. He really played well. I don’t know if it was Parker or not but with about 1:00 to play Grapeland drove to the basket and a charge was called and basket was waved off and Sville got the ball and shot free throws on the following possession. Tenaha has a kid that knows how to sell a charge as well...As I have said all year Sville just plays clutch in the closing of the game and makes the correct plays to win the game. Seems like Buckley and Boykins turned it up a notch once the playoffs started.

7 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Some are legitimate charges.... others are manipulated by a flopping action. He definitely has toughness and grit and thought he was instrumental in the win ysday. He really played well. I don’t know if it was Parker or not but with about 1:00 to play Grapeland drove to the basket and a charge was called and basket was waved off and Sville got the ball and shot free throws on the following possession. Tenaha has a kid that knows how to sell a charge as well...As I have said all year Sville just plays clutch in the closing of the game and makes the correct plays to win the game. Seems like Buckley and Boykins turned it up a notch once the playoffs started.

Exaggeration or not the key to drawing a charge is guts. It's also a big momentum booster when successful. Coach Schmitt emphasizes these types of plays more than most coaches and actually does drills teaching the art. 

His practices in general are pretty much as intense as the 4th quarter of the game yesterday. I really tip my hat to him for being able to accomplish that feat. Not many can do it.

23 minutes ago, Gen7Dragon said:

Exaggeration or not the key to drawing a charge is guts. It's also a big momentum booster when successful. Coach Schmitt emphasizes these types of plays more than most coaches and actually does drills teaching the art. 

His practices in general are pretty much as intense as the 4th quarter of the game yesterday. I really tip my hat to him for being able to accomplish that feat. Not many can do it.

Definitely takes guts to stand there and take it in the chest sometimes from big guys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fergton said:

I think everything everyone is saying about Shelbyville players is spot on. I think where Shelbyville has a big advantage on everyone else is that guy on the sidelines, Coach Schmitt.

Not throwing shade at Coach at all but what makes Sville great is evbody knows their role in the team. 
Buckley- unstoppable scorer

Boykins- cold blooded shooter from deep

LD- defense stopper / master rebounder

Parker- timely shooter/ hustle plays

Hand- floor spacer /shooter

Brinson/Horton-ball pressure/defenders

IMO they all compliment each other wonderfully and play good team defense. Super special group of kids to be in the mix 3 years in a row......and it helps to have a 600 win coach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Not throwing shade at Coach at all but what makes Sville great is evbody knows their role in the team. 
Buckley- unstoppable scorer

Boykins- cold blooded shooter from deep

LD- defense stopper / master rebounder

Parker- timely shooter/ hustle plays

Hand- floor spacer /shooter

Brinson/Horton-ball pressure/defenders

IMO they all compliment each other wonderfully and play good team defense. Super special group of kids to be in the mix 3 years in a row......and it helps to have a 600 win coach.

This is a real good assessment of the current team. Cole and Kurtrick were really good on the previous teams.