College Football Unpopular Opinions

ETXfan16

Not sure this is unpopular as in ratings but attendance. Let's get rid of some of the bowls. Also have to be 7-5 or better. 

Side note: Some of the sponsors are ridiculous. Have them match up with their brand ex:  Imperal Sugar bowl . Tostitos First bowl was pretty good a few years ago. I find it difficult getting excited about going to Shreveport. I am still suprised a Cereal Bowl is not a thing. 

On 12/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, WETSU said:

I mean look at how well that brutal 9 game conference schedule prepared the big 12 teams for bowl season. They are certainly more battle tested than the weak sec. 

I know you didn't throw the first shot, but I'm going to add a little fact about this year's bowl games in regards to SEC and the BIG XII. Every SEC except Kentucky was favored per betting lines and every BIG XII team was the underdog per Vegas. That does make a difference. Saying that, I would love to add more teams and go back to two divisions in the BIG XII.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Not sure this is unpopular as in ratings but attendance. Let's get rid of some of the bowls. Also have to be 7-5 or better. 

Side note: Some of the sponsors are ridiculous. Have them match up with their brand ex:  Imperal Sugar bowl . Tostitos First bowl was pretty good a few years ago. I find it difficult getting excited about going to Shreveport. I am still suprised a Cereal Bowl is not a thing. 

The Independence Bowl shot themselves in the foot when they lost their Big12/ SEC matchup. They had big crowds then. The 6th place team from the ACC isn’t bringing a lot of fans. 

19 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The Independence Bowl shot themselves in the foot when they lost their Big12/ SEC matchup. They had big crowds then. The 6th place team from the ACC isn’t bringing a lot of fans. 

This, 100%.  Fans of Big XII/SEC teams are generally closer to Shreveport than far east coast teams. Plus, people who live in the vicinity used to go to that game just to see some teams they're familiar with play. You don't get that with ACC. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

This, 100%.  Fans of Big XII/SEC teams are generally closer to Shreveport than far east coast teams. Plus, people who live in the vicinity used to go to that game just to see some teams they're familiar with play. You don't get that with ACC. 

Yea I remember that place was packed for some of those games. That bowl game with A&M and Miss st in the snow was one of my favorite sporting events I’ve ever attended. 

It’s time for a change but will not happen until the 4 team playoff contract is over.

Why is NCAA Division 1 football the only sport that does not have a True playoff system?   It comes down to corporate dollars.   I agree with a true playoff system with all conference champions getting in along with at large bids.    I also agree with using bowl venues as playoff sites for each round.  Use the “smaller’ bowl sites for first round games and go from there.   I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl in El Paso would love to host a 1 vs  16 match up.    

Love coachElvisPresley breakdown of super conferences.    I posted this on the Saban topic also.

Just my 2 cents 

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I believe they lost the bowl game too because of the poor shape of the facility.  The stands were bad, the press box was bad, the locker rooms were worse than prison  cells...  I mean the place is/was a dump.  They did it to themselves 

8 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I believe they lost the bowl game too because of the poor shape of the facility.  The stands were bad, the press box was bad, the locker rooms were worse than prison  cells...  I mean the place is/was a dump.  They did it to themselves 

You also have to pay to park in that dump lol.

9 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

It’s time for a change but will not happen until the 4 team playoff contract is over.

Why is NCAA Division 1 football the only sport that does not have a True playoff system?   It comes down to corporate dollars.   I agree with a true playoff system with all conference champions getting in along with at large bids.    I also agree with using bowl venues as playoff sites for each round.  Use the “smaller’ bowl sites for first round games and go from there.   I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl in El Paso would love to host a 1 vs  16 match up.    

Love coachElvisPresley breakdown of super conferences.    I posted this on the Saban topic also.

Just my 2 cents 

Okay you need 8 “lower level” bowl games to host first round games, then four “mid-level” bowls to host the quarterfinals. Assuming you plug the bowls that are currently in the semifinal rotation into that, you still need at least 10 host games. So the first round games are in Shreveport, Memphis, Birmingham, Detroit, El Paso,  Boise, Baltimore, and San Francisco. Y’all booking your flights yet? 

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

This is exactly right. Independence got lucky this year they were able to get a quality LaTech team in the game as it’s basically a home game for them. 

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

This is exactly right. Independence got lucky this year they were able to get a quality LaTech team in the game as it’s basically a home game for them. 

Part of the reason for a city hosting a bowl game is economic impact. Those LaTech fans probably spent some cash in Shreveport/ Bossier restaurants and on the boardwalk, but there probably weren’t a lot of hotel rooms used by them. Judging by the crowd shots I saw in the highlights, it doesn’t appear that Miami traveled particularly well, I don’t think you would expect a private school team from south Florida that finished 6-6 to bring a big crowd to Shreveport. Economic impact on Shreveport/ Bossier for that game was probably minimal.