College Football Unpopular Opinions

ETXfan16

6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Part of the reason for a city hosting a bowl game is economic impact. Those LaTech fans probably spent some cash in Shreveport/ Bossier restaurants and on the boardwalk, but there probably weren’t a lot of hotel rooms used by them. Judging by the crowd shots I saw in the highlights, it doesn’t appear that Miami traveled particularly well, I don’t think you would expect a private school team from south Florida that finished 6-6 to bring a big crowd to Shreveport. Economic impact on Shreveport/ Bossier for that game was probably minimal. 

That’s true, but part of the benefit of having LaTech is guaranteed ticket sales. Looks good for the bowl.

15 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Okay you need 8 “lower level” bowl games to host first round games, then four “mid-level” bowls to host the quarterfinals. Assuming you plug the bowls that are currently in the semifinal rotation into that, you still need at least 10 host games. So the first round games are in Shreveport, Memphis, Birmingham, Detroit, El Paso,  Boise, Baltimore, and San Francisco. Y’all booking your flights yet? 

LSU, Ohio St., Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Oregon, Baylor & Wisconsin who are this years top 8 and their fan bases would fill up those along with 9-16 which would match up like this:

1.  LSU VS. 16.  IOWA    (Independence Bowl)

2.  OHIO STATE VS. 15.  NOTRE DAME   (Liberty Bowl)

3.  CLEMSON VS. 14.  MICHIGAN    (Texas Bowl)

4.  OKLAHOMA VS. 13.  ALABAMA    (Citrus Bowl)

5.  GEORGIA VS. 12.  AUBURN  (Gator Bowl)

6.  OREGON VS. 11.  UTAH    (Las Vegas Bowl)

7.  BAYLOR  VS.  10.  PENN STATE  (Outback Bowl)

8.  WISCONSIN VS.  FLORIDA   (Music City Bowl)

ROUND 2:  HOLIDAY, COTTON,  FIESTA, PEACH

SEMIS:  ROSE, SUGAR

FINALS:  ORANGE

Rotate locations each year for rounds and man would that be fun!    The fan bases alone would fill up the stadiums and each city would make plenty of $.   Any bowl site for round 1 would be great!  It’s not that hard but man they sure do make it hard.   Teams 17-36 can fill the other bowl sites that are on the round 1 rotation such as Bahama, Pinstripe, Military, Quick Lane, etc.  

8 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

LSU, Ohio St., Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Oregon, Baylor & Wisconsin who are this years top 8 and their fan bases would fill up those along with 9-16 which would match up like this:

1.  LSU VS. 16.  IOWA    (Independence Bowl)

2.  OHIO STATE VS. 15.  NOTRE DAME   (Liberty Bowl)

3.  CLEMSON VS. 14.  MICHIGAN    (Texas Bowl)

4.  OKLAHOMA VS. 13.  ALABAMA    (Citrus Bowl)

5.  GEORGIA VS. 12.  AUBURN  (Gator Bowl)

6.  OREGON VS. 11.  UTAH    (Las Vegas Bowl)

7.  BAYLOR  VS.  10.  PENN STATE  (Outback Bowl)

8.  WISCONSIN VS.  FLORIDA   (Music City Bowl)

ROUND 2:  HOLIDAY, COTTON,  FIESTA, PEACH

SEMIS:  ROSE, SUGAR

FINALS:  ORANGE

Rotate locations each year for rounds and man would that be fun!    The fan bases alone would fill up the stadiums and each city would make plenty of $.   Any bowl site for round 1 would be great!  It’s not that hard but man they sure do make it hard.   Teams 17-36 can fill the other bowl sites that are on the round 1 rotation such as Bahama, Pinstripe, Military, Quick Lane, etc.  

I was pointing out the fact that the cities that host these “lower tier” bowls y’all keep talking about are, for the most part, dumps. Do you want to go to Memphis or Shreveport for a game? I don’t. I have family in the Memphis area, and it’s one of the worst cities in the south. Mavgrad is on record in this thread documenting what a pit independence stadium is, and it’s in the most crime riddled part of Shreveport. You’re also putting three first round games in one state. That’s a little unfair, don’t you think? 

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I was pointing out the fact that the cities that host these “lower tier” bowls y’all keep talking about are, for the most part, dumps. Do you want to go to Memphis or Shreveport for a game? I don’t. I have family in the Memphis area, and it’s one of the worst cities in the south. Mavgrad is on record in this thread documenting what a pit independence stadium is, and it’s in the most crime riddled part of Shreveport. You’re also putting three first round games in one state. That’s a little unfair, don’t you think? 

I can’t even begin to describe how bad the locker rooms were in the Indy Bowl.  We had to go in and scrape mold out of the showers when we used it for the Battlewings...  I mean we filled a 10 gallon bucket... and we used the home main locker rooms... it’s that bad.  Guarantee you worse than prison. 

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I get it every point your making.   What’s in place now and has been in place forever in college football is broken and must be fixed.  They went from voting a champion to the BCS computer pick to voting in who they think are the 4 best.   IT AINT WORKIN!   Have a true tournament like every other sport in the world to decide who the best is.   If a bowl venue was not a good place to play then that city would lose out on the dollars.  

You surely have to agree that my previous post and match ups would be great for fans to see.  

17 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

I get it every point your making.   What’s in place now and has been in place forever in college football is broken and must be fixed.  They went from voting a champion to the BCS computer pick to voting in who they think are the 4 best.   IT AINT WORKIN!   Have a true tournament like every other sport in the world to decide who the best is.   If a bowl venue was not a good place to play then that city would lose out on the dollars.  

You surely have to agree that my previous post and match ups would be great for fans to see.  

Your premise has a major flaw. Are you trying to make a point that there’s been a team left out of the playoff in the last six years that was the best in the country? Because I don’t see where there has. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Your premise has a major flaw. Are you trying to make a point that there’s been a team left out of the playoff in the last six years that was the best in the country? Because I don’t see where there has. 

I'm trying to think of the last time a D-I national champion was even contested. That is: the eventual winner was strongly believed to not be the best team that season. 

2003, maybe? (LSU/USC) But the only solution to that would've been a +1 game for the two bowl winners to play each other...  uh, which is pretty much what we have now. 

Before that...  uh, maybe 1997? Michigan (12-0 with Rose Bowl win over Wash. State) and Nebrasaka (13-0 with Orange Bowl win over Tennessee). Again, the "disputed" title would've been easily settled with a plus-one game.

Same with a few years earlier...  1991, I think? Undefeated bowl winners Miami and Washington. Man, that would've been a great game between two awesome teams. 

Granted, there always seems to be drama over who gets into the final matchups, but I really can't think of a year (in recent history) where the ultimate champion (or champions) was much in doubt. 

Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I can't recall...  could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

I'm trying to think of the last time a D-I national champion was even contested. That is: the eventual winner was strongly believed to not be the best team that season. 

2003, maybe? (LSU/USC) But the only solution to that would've been a +1 game for the two bowl winners to play each other...  uh, which is pretty much what we have now. 

Before that...  uh, maybe 1997? Michigan (12-0 with Rose Bowl win over Wash. State) and Nebrasaka (13-0 with Orange Bowl win over Tennessee). Again, the "disputed" title would've been easily settled with a plus-one game.

Same with a few years earlier...  1991, I think? Undefeated bowl winners Miami and Washington. Man, that would've been a great game between two awesome teams. 

Granted, there always seems to be drama over who gets into the final matchups, but I really can't think of a year (in recent history) where the ultimate champion (or champions) was much in doubt. 

Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying I can't recall...  could be wrong though. 

I think it was ‘04 (could be wrong) thatAuburn finished unbeaten and was left out in favor of USC and OU, which wound up being a blowout. My whole point about expanding the playoff is that I don’t see where the system is “broken”. Anyone with half a brain can see that the best team in the country has won it the last 5 years, and that will be the case this year as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The past few years I can agree that Alabama and Clemson have been the 2 best.   Why not make the lower tier bowls interesting by making them playoffs?   Even coach Saban said what we are doing now diminishes the bowls and that is for sure a fact.  Instead of all of college football talking about 4 teams in the playoffs, make it 16 and benefit all of college football.   March madness is a pretty big deal.   I guess I am missing the “major flaw”   Heck I’m just typing it up in a quick minute and it looks pretty fun to me LOL.

There have been several years before the Alabama/Clemson takeover that I think a tournament may have produced a different champion.

Just a side note, there have been 16 times since about 1970 there have been multiple national champions.  More before then.    It’s broken

17 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Right, and if there was a tournament both would have been in and given teams trouble.

What pissed me off about them being left out that season was that they were left out because they weren’t a traditional power.  Or at least that is exactly how it felt to me and I wasn’t a fan of either team.

59 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The year that TCU/Baylor scored 100 on each other in maybe the most fun game I’ve ever watched and both got left out?

You mean a game where both defenses gave up 50+? 

1 hour ago, BlackShirtD said:

The past few years I can agree that Alabama and Clemson have been the 2 best.   Why not make the lower tier bowls interesting by making them playoffs?   Even coach Saban said what we are doing now diminishes the bowls and that is for sure a fact.  Instead of all of college football talking about 4 teams in the playoffs, make it 16 and benefit all of college football.   March madness is a pretty big deal.   I guess I am missing the “major flaw”   Heck I’m just typing it up in a quick minute and it looks pretty fun to me LOL.

There have been several years before the Alabama/Clemson takeover that I think a tournament may have produced a different champion.

Just a side note, there have been 16 times since about 1970 there have been multiple national champions.  More before then.    It’s broken

You do know that we started a playoff in 2014, right? So since then, what year are you saying that the best team didn’t win the championship? 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

You do know that we started a playoff in 2014, right? So since then, what year are you saying that the best team didn’t win the championship? 

You can look at it either way.  They were very similar to what LSU was the first half of this season before finding their defense the last 5 games

9 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

You mean of the teams chosen by the invitational tournament committee? .... we can't be sure about any other teams since they weren't allowed to participate  ....

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

You mean of the teams chosen by the invitational tournament committee? .... we can't be sure about any other teams since they weren't allowed to participate  ....

Here we go again. Did FedEx lose your UCF 2018 Fake National Championship T-shirt again? 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Look true! I’m not saying that at all.   You do know the system has been broke since the beginning of time.  Damn dude.   I’m just stating my opinion on a true playoff system.   I don’t give a rats bottom if Alabama, Clemson or Alcon State wins.  I never said the best team didn’t win.  MY POINT IS TO MAKE THE DAMN THING A TOURNAMENT JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER SENSIBLE SPORTING EVENT.   Oh that would be EVERY ONE except college football.   ROLL DAMN TIDE!   LOL

1 minute ago, BlackShirtD said:

Look true! I’m not saying that at all.   You do know the system has been broke since the beginning of time.  Damn dude.   I’m just stating my opinion on a true playoff system.   I don’t give a rats bottom if Alabama, Clemson or Alcon State wins.  I never said the best team didn’t win.  MY POINT IS TO MAKE THE DAMN THING A TOURNAMENT JUST LIKE EVERY OTHE SENSIBLE SPORTING EVENT.   Oh that would be EVERY ONE except college football.   ROLL DAMN TIDE!   LOL

No, you said that the system was “broken”. Your words, not mine. I asked you to show how it was broken. For it to be broken, there has to be an obvious case where the system we are currently using has left a team with a legitimate claim to being the best in the country out. I’m waiting for you to give us an example of such. Tick........... Tock ........ 

13 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

^^ Your hatred for Nick Saban has left you so feeble minded that this is the best you can do? No wonder Hardin unfriend Ed you on Facebook. 

I love Nick Saban.  Love to watch him whine and make excuses for not wanting a real playoff and not wanting to get embarrassed by "lesser" teams ....

FB_IMG_1573415399971.jpg.c484be38ce1093a27e5a52c1b5498ac1.jpg