Coach Saban On Players Sitting Out Bowl Games

88YoePride

He is 100% correct in everything he said.

The Sugar Bowl for SEC teams was the biggest bowl game you could wish for.

The Rose Bowl for BIG and PAC teams was the pinnacle. 

The playoff has diminished all these historic bowl games and I do think he’s correct the players see if those bowls aren’t involved in the playoff they think it’s no big deal to skip it for personal reasons.

Saban is also correct in saying it’s best for the players to go out and play well in big games and big bowl games, which the Sugar and Rose are huge bowl games. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

He is 100% correct in everything he said.

The Sugar Bowl for SEC teams was the biggest bowl game you could wish for.

The Rose Bowl for BIG and PAC teams was the pinnacle. 

The playoff has diminished all these historic bowl games and I do think he’s correct the players see if those bowls aren’t involved in the playoff they think it’s no big deal to skip it for personal reasons.

Saban is also correct in saying it’s best for the players to go out and play well in big games and big bowl games, which the Sugar and Rose are huge bowl games. 

If those bowl games were used as quarterfinal and semifinal playoff games, they would regain much of their prestige  ....  of course that would mean expanding the playoffs ....

• Like 1

Just now, KirtFalcon said:

Saban is runnin' scared of a true playoff ....

Yes he is, he wants to keep it how it is so they only have to win two playoff games to win the national championship. Saban doesn’t want to have to play a hot Louisville or upstart Minnesota team in a quarterfinal playoff game. He’s just rather keep it at four so those “lesser” teams are eliminated without having to eliminate one of them on the field.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yes he is, he wants to keep it how it is so they only have to win two playoff games to win the national championship. Saban doesn’t want to have to play a hot Louisville or upstart Minnesota team in a quarterfinal playoff game. He’s just rather keep it at four so those “lesser” teams are eliminated without having to eliminate one of them on the field.

Exactly ....

Neither one of you gasbags would be qualified to carry Saban’s headset cable, and here you are deciding what he’s thinking. Instead of hating the guy, why not sit back and appreciate the fact that you’re watching one of the best to ever coach the game? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Neither one of you gasbags would be qualified to carry Saban’s headset cable, and here you are deciding what he’s thinking. Instead of hating the guy, why not sit back and appreciate the fact that you’re watching one of the best to ever coach the game? 

Exactly.....

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I was agreeing with him on the whole players sitting deal. I am not qualified to give him advice, but I do think he would rather not have to play more teams in an expanded playoff.

Of course he doesn’t want to have to win three or four playoff games to win a title when with the current setup it only takes two.

Not that difficult to decipher.

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I was agreeing with him on the whole players sitting deal. I am not qualified to give him advice, but I do think he would rather not have to play more teams in an expanded playoff.

Of course he doesn’t want to have to win three or four playoff games to win a title when with the current setup it only takes two.

Not that difficult to decipher.

That may very well be true, but have you asked him? Have you asked Dabo Swinney? Ed Orgeron? Lincoln Riley? Or do you already know what they’re thinking too? Maybe the reason Saban has been so successful is because he refuses to look too far ahead, and stays focused on the task at hand. I’m pretty sure a guy in Carthage, Texas takes a very similar approach. 

6 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’d be very happy with an 8 team playoff.

If it goes to that, the quarterfinal games need to be home games for the top 4 seeds to ensure good crowds and great atmosphere for all the games. College students are going to run out of daddy’s money and not be able to make 3 trips in a month to attend games. A LSU/ Baylor game in Tiger Stadium would be a much better atmosphere than it would in Atlanta. There’s got to be some reward for being the high seeds. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

That may very well be true, but have you asked him? Have you asked Dabo Swinney? Ed Orgeron? Lincoln Riley? Or do you already know what they’re thinking too? Maybe the reason Saban has been so successful is because he refuses to look too far ahead, and stays focused on the task at hand. I’m pretty sure a guy in Carthage, Texas takes a very similar approach. 

Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to speak with those amazing coaches. Maybe so, we all see he is detail oriented and very much in the present. I bet he also has a good idea about the big picture and where he wants to go from the here and now too. 
I wish Texas had been paying Saban to be their coach all these years!

22 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

He's runnin scared from a real playoff and you know it ...

On 1/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, trueblue82 said:

If it goes to that, the quarterfinal games need to be home games for the top 4 seeds to ensure good crowds and great atmosphere for all the games. College students are going to run out of daddy’s money and not be able to make 3 trips in a month to attend games. A LSU/ Baylor game in Tiger Stadium would be a much better atmosphere than it would in Atlanta. There’s got to be some reward for being the high seeds. 

Saban wants the big bowls to mean something. That means expansion would include the NY6 bowls.  No home games in playoffs.  You’re just looking for any advantage to make the games easier for you.  Deep down you don’t want to play them either

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Saban wants the big bowls to mean something. That means expansion would include the NY6 bowls.  No home games in playoffs.  You’re just looking for any advantage to make the games easier for you.  Deep down you don’t want to play them either

Saban doesn't give a squat about the "big bowls" ... He doesn't want to get embarrassed by a lower ranked team in an early round game .... he would rather play fewer games and let the invitational tournament committee eliminate most of the competition  ....

16 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Saban doesn't give a squat about the "big bowls" ... He doesn't want to get embarrassed by a lower ranked team in an early round game .... he would rather play fewer games and let the invitational tournament committee eliminate most of the competition  ....

Nick Saban is going to go down in history as the best to ever coach the game. He’s won championships under every system, and he will win under whatever they come up with next. He’s not worried about it getting more difficult. More teams in the playoff means his team stands a better chance of getting in on a “down” year. Keep trolling. 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

Nick Saban is going to go down in history as the best to ever coach the game. He’s won championships under every system, and he will win under whatever they come up with next. He’s not worried about it getting more difficult. More teams in the playoff means his team stands a better chance of getting in on a “down” year. Keep trolling. 

Right .... 🤣