Coach Saban On Players Sitting Out Bowl Games

88YoePride

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Saban wants the big bowls to mean something. That means expansion would include the NY6 bowls.  No home games in playoffs.  You’re just looking for any advantage to make the games easier for you.  Deep down you don’t want to play them either

You’ve been drinking that burnt orange koolaid too long. It’s starting to kill brain cells, and you think all football fans think like longhorn fans do. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Nick Saban is going to go down in history as the best to ever coach the game. He’s won championships under every system, and he will win under whatever they come up with next. He’s not worried about it getting more difficult. More teams in the playoff means his team stands a better chance of getting in on a “down” year. Keep trolling. 

His rant about kids sitting out was about the playoffs putting less emphasis on the other bowls leading to more kids sitting out.  I took that to mean he liked it better with 2 teams. In fact saban would rather it be 1 vs 2

11 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

His rant about kids sitting out was about the playoffs putting less emphasis on the other bowls leading to more kids sitting out.  I took that to mean he liked it better with 2 teams. In fact saban would rather it be 1 vs 2

I took his rant at pointing out how the media talks out of both sides of their mouth. They, along with many fans, screamed for a playoff forever. Players sitting out bowl games where they see nothing to gain and everything to lose is a side affect of the playoff, at least in his opinion, but that doesn’t stop the media from talking about it. And they are being very negative in their coverage of that trend. Saban seems to be defending the players while taking a shot at the media. His disdain for the media is not a well kept secret. So what he’s saying is simple: you guys wanted the playoff, well now you’ve got it, but there are gonna be negative affects of it. As far as what he wants ina playoff system, he’s smart enough to know that the system he’s going to have to play in is out of his hands, so I doubt he spends a lot of time thinking about that. Instead, he’s probably using that time and energy to figure out what he needs to do to correct the issues that kept them out of it this year. But, hey, you and your new BFF Kirt can sit in his deer blind in Garrison and brainstorm whatever you want while talking about the Vince Young era of UT football. 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

I took his rant at pointing out how the media talks out of both sides of their mouth. They, along with many fans, screamed for a playoff forever. Players sitting out bowl games where they see nothing to gain and everything to lose is a side affect of the playoff, at least in his opinion, but that doesn’t stop the media from talking about it. And they are being very negative in their coverage of that trend. Saban seems to be defending the players while taking a shot at the media. His disdain for the media is not a well kept secret. So what he’s saying is simple: you guys wanted the playoff, well now you’ve got it, but there are gonna be negative affects of it. As far as what he wants ina playoff system, he’s smart enough to know that the system he’s going to have to play in is out of his hands, so I doubt he spends a lot of time thinking about that. Instead, he’s probably using that time and energy to figure out what he needs to do to correct the issues that kept them out of it this year. But, hey, you and your new BFF Kirt can sit in his deer blind in Garrison and brainstorm whatever you want while talking about the Vince Young era of UT football. 

Kids have been sitting out bowl games for years.  My thoughts are that the bigger bowls have been cheapened by the expansion of the playoffs.  It sounds like saban has sour grapes over the playoffs expanding to 4, regardless of why they did and cried about it 

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Kids have been sitting out bowl games for years.  My thoughts are that the bigger bowls have been cheapened by the expansion of the playoffs.  It sounds like saban has sour grapes over the playoffs expanding to 4, regardless of why they did and cried about it 

Where has he cried about it? All he did was point out exactly what you just stated. So if he’s crying, so are you. As far as “years”, the first big time player I remember sitting out was Leonard Fournette in whatever bowl LSU played in in ‘16-‘17, which I’m pretty sure was after the playoff started. So it is a result of the playoff. 

10 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Where has he cried about it? All he did was point out exactly what you just stated. So if he’s crying, so are you. As far as “years”, the first big time player I remember sitting out was Leonard Fournette in whatever bowl LSU played in in ‘16-‘17, which I’m pretty sure was after the playoff started. So it is a result of the playoff. 

It’s hard to say when it started really but I remember seeing games 8-10 years ago when a player or two sat out.  It wasn’t as widespread and common as it is now.  

I didn’t say he cried about it, I said he had sour grapes.  The crying part was referring to the media and saban saying they’re crying is the reason for expansion and thus the bigger bowl games being lackluster

Just now, DB2point0 said:

It’s hard to say when it started really but I remember seeing games 8-10 years ago when a player or two sat out.  It wasn’t as widespread and common as it is now.  

I didn’t say he cried about it, I said he had sour grapes.  The crying part was referring to the media 

So, you’re channeling your inner Kirt and making up in your mind what the GOAT is thinking. Gotcha. And your argument doesn’t hold water. Why would he have sour grapes over it expanding to four? If it’s 1 vs 2, he doesn’t get in in ‘17, the last time they won it. So expanding to four helped him win an extra title. But keep trying. Tell Kirt not to miss that hog again. 

He sounds like he’s upset they expanded to me. He says it’s cheapened the bigger bowl that have conference champions tie ins.  Who really knows what saban wants.  

not channeling anything.  I said my thoughts.....  you’re starting to channel your inner Wetsu just for the sake of arguing?

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

He sounds like he’s upset they expanded to me. He says it’s cheapened the bigger bowl that have conference champions tie ins.  Who really knows what saban wants.  

not channeling anything.  I said my thoughts.....  you’re starting to channel your inner Wetsu just for the sake of arguing?

Nope, just pointing out you and Kirt stating your opinions as facts with nothing to back it up. Congrats on your Horns winning the Meineke Muffler Bowl. Big win for y’all. 

4 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Nope, just pointing out you and Kirt stating your opinions as facts with nothing to back it up. Congrats on your Horns winning the Meineke Muffler Bowl. Big win for y’all. 

So he’s going to gripe about something he likes?   He likes expansion?  Doesn’t sound like it.  He’s like any coach out there.  What ever gives his team the best chance to win a championship that particular year.

horns have nothing to do with this conversation.  Really channeling your inner Wetsu now. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Denial is not River in Egypt  .... these SEC/Saban die hards will never admit they just don't want to expand the playoffs because they are afraid they might get embarrassed by some hot lower ranked team on national TV ... Saban and blue82 hide behind all sorts of doom and gloom reasons about ruining the bowl games when the real reason they oppose a real playoff is as plain as the coke bottle lenses sitting on Doomer's nose ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Denial is not River in Egypt  .... these SEC/Saban die hards will never admit they just don't want to expand the playoffs because they are afraid they might get embarrassed by some hot lower ranked team on national TV ... Saban and blue82 hide behind all sorts of doom and gloom reasons about ruining the bowl games when the real reason they oppose a real playoff is as plain as the coke bottle lenses sitting on Doomer's nose ...

Citation needed. 

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Yeah I am sure that it.

• Thumbs Down 1

11 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

So he’s going to gripe about something he likes?   He likes expansion?  Doesn’t sound like it.  He’s like any coach out there.  What ever gives his team the best chance to win a championship that particular year.

horns have nothing to do with this conversation.  Really channeling your inner Wetsu now. 

Wasting time stressing over what the NCAA does about the playoff would violate one of the core principles of the process that has led to one of the most successful runs by any coach or program in college football history. “Focus on the things you can control.” He has no control over what kind of system we have or how many teams get in it, so he doesn’t waste time thinking about it. Say what you want to about the guy, but he is definitely wired differently from just about any other coach we’ve ever seen. He’s been so successful, he’s almost broken the SEC. There are three programs in the conference that have gone through less than two coaching changes since he took over at BAMA (LSU, UGA and South Carolina.)  The other 10 have had at least two. 

It’s time for a change but will not happen until the 4 team playoff contract is over.

Why is NCAA Division 1 football the only sport that does not have a True playoff system?   It comes down to corporate dollars.   I agree with a true playoff system with all conference champions getting in along with at large bids.    I also agree with using bowl venues as playoff sites for each round.  Use the “smaller’ bowl sites for first round games and go from there.   I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl in El Paso would love to host a 1 vs  16 match up.    

Just my 2 cents 

5 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I have never known Saban to be scared to play anybody. I'm sure Bear Bryant had his haters also.

Saban plays the system.  He perfected cheating the BCS formula.  Meanwhile he also built amazing teams and won a lot of games.  

31 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I have never known Saban to be scared to play anybody. I'm sure Bear Bryant had his haters also.

I agree but more people wanna see them play a strong power 5 team in non conference. Instead we get Duke , West Virginia ,  Louisville, & Fsu. Those teams are ususally mediocre for the season. Alabama losing bowl games adds fuel for the haters. 

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

I agree but more people wanna see them play a strong power 5 team in non conference. Instead we get Duke , West Virginia ,  Louisville, & Fsu. Those teams are ususally mediocre for the season. Alabama losing bowl games adds fuel for the haters. 

Have you not seen the numerous videos about him talking about Bama's schedule? I know it's been posted on this site numerous times.

In short he's all in for everybody playing all P5 teams including A&M.

32 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Have you not seen the numerous videos about him talking about Bama's schedule? I know it's been posted on this site numerous times.

In short he's all in for everybody playing all P5 teams including A&M.

I agree with you . I know they have the pedigree but winners attract the most haters. Alabama might have a difficult time getting a power 5 team to come play as well. 

27 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

LOL that's what the video says. So to you and Kirt how is Bama's schedule Saban's fault?

Not his fault at all . You are forgetting I am agreement with you. I would like for Bama and other top teams to play each other . Make a year to year and use similar records. Ex : 11-1 teams play each other the following year. I know it won't happen but would be great.

• Thumbs Down 1