ETx team of the decade......

Eagleborn

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I think that’s up for debate. I know how many points Gilmer scored and the kids they had, but I would take Carthage’s offense. I think Carthage had the better O-Line, better WR corps as a whole, and Keaontay. Defense wasn’t close. Gilmer played a weak schedule, and gave up the same amount of points as Carthage over 16 games.

Better Wr how u figure? We had Blake Lynch, Nick Smith, Quinn Fluellen and chase tate and Both boyd brothers are RB 

• Stinks 1

3 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Better Wr how u figure? We had Blake Lynch, Nick Smith, Quinn Fluellen and chase tate and Both boyd brothers are RB 

Lynch wasn’t a true WR, cause he played RB and QB too. But he was very good. I’d take Dee Bowen, Dewaylon Ingram, and Mekhi Colbert. I think as far as a traditional WR Corp they gave you more. Dee had 23 TD with 1,400+ yards. Dewaylon had 1,060 yards and 15 TD. Mekhi set the State Championship game record for receiving with 191 yards in the in the title game, but was a full time DB. One of the only full time 2 way players I can remember. But Surratt never really used him that much on offense until the playoffs. It’s up for debate, but I would take Carthage WR. They came from a traditional offense, and had 2 DI guys that are still playing ball. 

Boyd was good at RB, but he wasn’t Keaontay. Boyd was an amazing athlete and awesome RB/DB. Keaontay was a 4 star RB that started at Texas as a freshman. 

Carthage had 1 guy play both ways, and that was Mekhi. Ahmad would come in at TE sometimes, but only situationally. Carthage was deep that year. So much depth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aledo said:

As of late Aledo doesn't get smoked often. You can count on one hand the amount of times Aledo has lost by 21+ points since 2000. Maybe Carthage wins but getting smoked might be a stretch. Calpreps has it Aledo 31 Carthage 28. 

I didn’t mean smoked literally. Nobody, especially Carthage, smokes Aledo. It’s more I think Carthage would’ve competed and had a chance to win. I truly believe that. But that’s one year, and that Aledo team was down as compared to other Aledo teams. Aledo is unbelievable. Nothing but respect for their program. Hands down top program of the last decade. 

3 hours ago, Aledo said:

"I truly believe they would’ve smoked Aledo or CS. I watched all those games." That sounds like you are pretty certain about your wording. But, if you wanna back off that strong comment then its all good. We started a sophomore QB and its tough to win with a young player at a very important position. He went on to a 46-2 record losing state by 1 point and lost to an eventual 6AD2 finalist by 3 points. Our 2017 team was young but still had their opportunity to win it all. Missed 2 xpts and had some questionable play calling towards the end. Still a bummer to think about what could have been. In '74 we lost by 1 point also. Kinda our thing I guess lol. Nonetheless Carthage has been on a very impressive run and should be a favorite after dropping down to d2. Take yalls time winning #9! No rush. 

An Aledo person has joined SDC, cool! Welcome!

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Aledo said:

Thanks, I've paid attention to here for awhile. Played John Tyler in 2014, almost had a game verse Longview in 2015 and then played Ennis (I know there are some Ennis fans on here) this season. Would have been fun to play against Marshall at some point but just havent yet. I really just pay attention to 5A but know yall have done very well recently. Only time I've seen yall play in person was against Abilene Wylie in 2016. 

I wish you’d been able to see us the next year in 2017. In ‘16 those boys were just coming into their own and they were ready in ‘17. That 2017 defense was special, the whole team was special.

The 2016 team was actually one of my favorite teams, if not my favorite, because they just never quit and found ways to win. 
When we went down 14-0 in the first quarter against Wylie I wasn’t even worried about it. Sounds crazy, but they’d willed themselves to win so many times on that playoff run I just had a good feeling in my gut they’d find a way. 

6 minutes ago, Aledo said:

I really thought yall were going to lose in 2016. Yall battled back but I really thought Wylie was going to win. Says a lot about yalls program to come back from multiple scores during a state game. Oh I also watched yall this year at state but that was on FSSW.

Y’all have had an unbelievable run the past ten years. Amazing success. Had to watch y’all on FSSW this year too. 

I would have to go with the 2014 Gilmer team. I remember the 2017 Gilmer Carthage game. Gilmer was able to move the ball and score. Yes, they lost. Partly because Carthage was a great team, but partly because Gilmer had a total and complete meltdown (a Gilmer player even took a swing at Coach on the sidelines in a second half. I’ve never seen a Gilmer team lose composure and control that bad ever). After watching that game, I am sure that the 2014 team of Gilmer would beat the 2017 team of Carthage. Gilmer’s 2014 team would not have lost their composure, and they were way more talented and the 2017 team that put up 28 on Carthage. 

just my honest opinion 

This posted on YouTube today.   A look into the six year program rankings.  You have to be a DCTF insider to see the list but they mention the top 10 in the video.  I remember Aledo #1, Refugion #3, Carthage #8, and WOS #10.  For those curious, last was Quitman.