Jump to content

Old UIL Realignments


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9-0-1 teams had missed playoffs in the past. One example: Plano tied #1 Sherman in '77, 14-14. Sherman 9-0-1 stayed home and Plano won state.

Going through the DCTF archives and doing some old UIL realignments...fascinating to see old schools that no longer exist, schools that are now huge that were once tiny, and some of the really quirky

Makes you appreciate G. A. Moore win total at Celina and Pilot Point .

19 hours ago, debragga said:

Matt, do you have any record of Class B during these alignments? I'm pretty sure that's where Crandall was at the time.

I do now...but it'll take quite some time for me to catch up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Champ1000 said:

Yes District Champion was the only playoff team. In theory a 9-1 team could miss the playoffs.

I was about to say that...I remember hearing of some GREAT teams that yep, never made the playoffs. Pure suckage...the reverse of now where everyone's a winner.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, MattStepp said:

1968-1969 realignment

 

 

when you look at some of these giant (13 & 14 teams) districts...you could have possibly had 3 teams be 10-0 and I bet it would have caused chaos at playoff time breaking that tie by points or first downs, etc to even get 2 teams from the district. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I was about to say that...I remember hearing of some GREAT teams that yep, never made the playoffs. Pure suckage...the reverse of now where everyone's a winner.

West Hardin went 18-2 over a 2 year stretch during the late 50's or early 60's and never made the playoffs........

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

when you look at some of these giant (13 & 14 teams) districts...you could have possibly had 3 teams be 10-0 and I bet it would have caused chaos at playoff time breaking that tie by points or first downs, etc to even get 2 teams from the district. 

they were split into zones and last week of the season would play for the playoff spot....14 team district; 2 7 team zones..play 3 non-district games...play your six zone games...last week of the season Zone A Winner plays Zone B winner for the playoff spot

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

they were split into zones and last week of the season would play for the playoff spot....14 team district; 2 7 team zones..play 3 non-district games...play your six zone games...last week of the season Zone A Winner plays Zone B winner for the playoff spot

Kinda like a playoff game within itself. I wonder how many rematches happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Kinda like a playoff game within itself. I wonder how many rematches happened. 

I doubt many because non-district games typically weren't played with the other zone

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1980 our district played a double round robin schedule.......Colmesneil beat High Island at home and lost to them on the road......Both finished 9-1......flipped for first.......Colmesneil went two rounds while High Island sat at home......lol.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 9:07 PM, cujoforlife said:

Did the winner from both sides have to play each other in a championship game to see who got in? If it was a 12 team district?

Zones were pretty popular in all sports back then.

I've been researching Longview baseball results this month, and have found a lot of times they did zone districts for baseball as well. One was Longview/Marshall/Texas High in the North zone, Lee/Lufkin/John Tyler in the South zone.

I find it extremely fascinating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 1:03 PM, Champ1000 said:

I am guessing some of these schools in Tyler and Marshall were the African American schools like Tyler Scott and Marshall school right? 

Tyler Emmett Scott and Marshall Pemberton were the 4A schools yes.

Only lasted two years with the 4A schools however.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Zones were pretty popular in all sports back then.

I've been researching Longview baseball results this month, and have found a lot of times they did zone districts for baseball as well. One was Longview/Marshall/Texas High in the North zone, Lee/Lufkin/John Tyler in the South zone.

I find it extremely fascinating.

Cool 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Zones were pretty popular in all sports back then.

I've been researching Longview baseball results this month, and have found a lot of times they did zone districts for baseball as well. One was Longview/Marshall/Texas High in the North zone, Lee/Lufkin/John Tyler in the South zone.

I find it extremely fascinating.

Were districts allowed to determine if they wanted to have a zone or not when they didn’t absolutely need one? I would imagine UIL wouldn’t really bother to zone a 6 team district themselves, though they might have because of all the travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mTex said:

Were districts allowed to determine if they wanted to have a zone or not when they didn’t absolutely need one? I would imagine UIL wouldn’t really bother to zone a 6 team district themselves, though they might have because of all the travel.

I think back then the UIL mandated the zones

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...