The Smoakhouse Forums

Old UIL Realignments

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9-0-1 teams had missed playoffs in the past. One example: Plano tied #1 Sherman in '77, 14-14. Sherman 9-0-1 stayed home and Plano won state.

Going through the DCTF archives and doing some old UIL realignments...fascinating to see old schools that no longer exist, schools that are now huge that were once tiny, and some of the really quirky

Makes you appreciate G. A. Moore win total at Celina and Pilot Point .

Crazy we spent 33 years in class B....... Wasn’t until just after segregation that Tatum jumped to class A...... Cool to look back at all the history. 

15 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

So they just didn't play for a title . That would be terrible for the kids. 

Yeah....1960 Colmesneil won all the way to Regional....then that was it.....couldn't go any further......best season in school history to date.....

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

So they just didn't play for a title . That would be terrible for the kids. 

Nah man. We claimed our regional title. 

On 1/1/2020 at 7:37 PM, MattStepp said:

Going through the DCTF archives and doing some old UIL realignments...fascinating to see old schools that no longer exist, schools that are now huge that were once tiny, and some of the really quirky districts the UIL put together.....

I'll be doing this during the off-season....first up is the 1960-1961 alignments

Yeah, I love looking at the historical stuff. It's pretty sad in some ways. I'm much more of a small town fan.  I miss the fun football used to be in Plano when it was different. It's not fun seeing Princeton grow. The stadium used to be filled but not the last 2 years even with the town growth. Winning could change it. 

On 1/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Champ1000 said:

Yes District Champion was the only playoff team. In theory a 9-1 team could miss the playoffs.

9-0-1 teams had missed playoffs in the past. One example: Plano tied #1 Sherman in '77, 14-14. Sherman 9-0-1 stayed home and Plano won state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, MattStepp said:

1968-1969 realignment

The ol years of Tatums uniforms being orange. Lol

On 1/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, MattStepp said:

In this '74-'75 I can't find Denison and I thought it was in 13-4A with Plano, Sherman, etc. 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:14 PM, alyssaB said:

My brother played on that Sherman team. The official score showed Sherman and Plano were tied on penetrations, but the official scorer missed one Sherman possession where they got inside Plano's 20 yard line then lost yardage to outside the 20 the very next play. Plano won on the next tiebreaker which was either first downs or total yardage. That Sherman team was stout, too. Off the top of my head, four of the seniors went to play at Houston, Arkansas, OU, and UCLA.

13 hours ago, KildogDad said:

My brother played on that Sherman team. The official score showed Sherman and Plano were tied on penetrations, but the official scorer missed one Sherman possession where they got inside Plano's 20 yard line then lost yardage to outside the 20 the very next play. Plano won on the next tiebreaker which was either first downs or total yardage. That Sherman team was stout, too. Off the top of my head, four of the seniors went to play at Houston, Arkansas, OU, and UCLA.

Hi KildogDad! Yeah, those were fun times. I earlier told a bit about Plano beating Temple at Texas Stadium in 1980 on the "Who Shot J.R.?" night.

It's interesting to know that story you told here. It came down to First Downs. Plano was known for not really having any great single players like you mentioning 4 Cats going to big programs to play.

Plano had a slow start to the season losing game one in the new Clark stadium to South Garland 25-13. And Sherman had a fast start to the year. They played each other in game 5 and the 3rd district game.

From Plano I have: "Sherman came to Plano having averaged 40 points and 400 yards a game. During the Plano vs. Sherman game, neither team moved well and had to rely on the other's mistakes. Sherman finally scored in the fourth quarter to break the 7-7 deadlock. With less than four minutes left, the Wildcats drove 60 yards to make it 14-13. A coaches' conference was called as the coaches and refs discussed the penetrations. An apparent tie in penetrations caused Plano to kick for a tie game. Plano was declared the leader in first downs and would represent district 13-AAAAin the playoffs."

From Sherman I have: "Missing Penetration Knocks Out Bearcats 4A Championship" "The Cats received their only blemish of the season when Plano came from behind to knot the score at 14 all. It was a windy night and the Cats were severely hampered trying to pass. Sherman was forced to run and tough Plano defense met the challenge. This tie kept the Cats out of the playoffs because Plano had more downs."

I used to know the downs right off the top of my head but I don't think so anymore. 

Edited by alyssaB
spelling

So glad we dont decide games like that any longer....my sophomore year of HS was the last year games were decided like that...1995 and we tied in the area playoffs and Seagoville advanced on first downs