Ennis 5-3, 5-5
Royse City 5-3, 6-4
Forney 3-5, 3-7
North Forney 3-5, 4-6
Greenville 1-7, 2-7
Terrell 1-7, 1-8

Predictions:

Favorites for District titles?
Deep Playoff runs?  How far?  Who is their biggest road block?
Darkhorses?  Who can pull off an upset of a district favorite?
Playoffs FOR SURE?
Playoff maybes?
Gonna be a long year for......?

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Predictions:

Playoffs FOR SURE?
Playoff maybes?

Let me get back to you on that.

22 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Predictions:

Playoffs FOR SURE?
Playoff maybes?

My favorite for the district title in 7-5A D1 is : Mesquite Poteet, but with JT right behind

Deep Playoff Runs? JT only makes a deep playoff run if the win district cause I don’t think they play highland park in the second round. Would rather them have a 4th round rematch at least lol. Mesquite poteet will potentially have a chance to make a semifinal or possibly a state appearance with the firepower they have back on offense. They could start the season as a top 5 team in the state and JT could be somewhere in the top 10. McKinney north has a chance to make some noise too in the playoffs if they make the playoffs also. For JT I think the biggest roadblock for them is getting over from last year if they have meet highland park again and finally break through. 

The dark horse for me would be Lufkin. Even though they are not in my district I feel like most people around the state will kinda look down on Lufkin after all the hype last year only to lead to a 2nd round blowout exit. But with some of the pieces Lufkin has back they could make a slight run. 

If anyone in our district can upset a district favorite it would be North they took both JT and Poteet to the brink last year and I think they will feel good about that when they play both of us again. 

My playoff prediction would be

1. Poteet/JT 

2. JT/ Poteet

3. North 

4. West Mesquite 

5. Texas High

6. Sherman

7. Wylie East. 

Poor Wylie East it will be another really badddddd year. 

58 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

My favorite for the district title in 7-5A D1 is : Mesquite Poteet, but with JT right behind

longview will win district again

Deep Playoff Runs? JT only makes a deep playoff run if the win district cause I don’t think they play highland park in the second round. Would rather them have a 4th round rematch at least lol. Mesquite poteet will potentially have a chance to make a semifinal or possibly a state appearance with the firepower they have back on offense. They could start the season as a top 5 team in the state and JT could be somewhere in the top 10. McKinney north has a chance to make some noise too in the playoffs if they make the playoffs also. For JT I think the biggest roadblock for them is getting over from last year if they have meet highland park again and finally break through. 

The dark horse for me would be Lufkin. Even though they are not in my district I feel like most people around the state will kinda look down on Lufkin after all the hype last year only to lead to a 2nd round blowout exit. But with some of the pieces Lufkin has back they could make a slight run. 

If anyone in our district can upset a district favorite it would be North they took both JT and Poteet to the brink last year and I think they will feel good about that when they play both of us again. 

1. Poteet/JT 

2. JT/ Poteet

3. North 

4. West Mesquite 

5. Texas High

6. Sherman

7. Wylie East. 

Not off base at all. I can see this happening. JT will be better towards the end of the season than the beginning.

I'm going to wait to see the the names and # of starters each team has coming back before I make any solid predictions.  

But I honestly believe 9-5A is going to be MUCH more competitive this season.

Lindale has proven they can hang with anyone.  Hard to discount them....even though they are the smallest school in the district.  I'm interested to see what they have coming back.  Dangerous to overlook them.

It still boggles my mind that PT missed the playoff the way they did last season.  They got the upset of the season when they beat Lindale down pretty good.... but their 45-43 loss to Whitehouse and the 43-42 loss to Nac just killed their season.  They should have been 7-3.  No doubt in my mind.

Whitehouse always seems to have the horses.  No idea what they have coming back.  But to be a challenger for the district title last season....some of their struggles were eye-popping.  They only beat Jacksonville (23-14), struggled to beat PT (45-43), and even had trouble with Hallsville (35-28).  So....yeah...they had some issues last season.

I don't want to jinx my Mavs..... they are likely to be the favorites again...but we still have question marks.  We have a senior QB coming back.... but we have some depth behind him finally....so that's good.  We have some questions on defense with so many players graduating.  Offense may have found a RB.....something we haven't had since 2015.  The offense may be even better than it was last season.  More diverse for sure I think.  But Defense and the kicking games are areas of concern.  We shall see.

Nac seems primed for improvement....but you just never know how a new coach is going to do in a first season.  Sometimes things are seamless and easy....sometimes the transition can have some growing pains.  It will be interesting to see how quickly the Dragons adapt to new offensive and defensive

I think Jacksonville could be improved in 2019..... but how much?  Enough to challenge Marshall, Nac, Lindale, or Pine Tree?  Maybe.....again...I want to see numbers and who's coming back.  

Mount Pleasant just seems to have a numbers problem.  They always have athletes....just not enough to hang for four quarters.  No idea what to expect from them.

Hallsville..... They seem to have just as many athletes as any one else that has a winning tradition....but they never seem to translate it on the field.  IMHO.... Hallsville should be in the district title talk EVERY season.  Yet they haven't been to the playoffs since 2015.  Only 2 playoffs wins since 2010.  Bobcats need a good season...or the rumbles of change could be upon them again.

I am in the same boat on predictions when I see what everyone has coming back. Nac spring game is Thursday so we will get an idea of how things are going. High powered resumes at HC, OC, DC,I might go as far as to say this is the most well rounded/ experienced coaching staff ever at Nac (on paper anyway) We will see how it translates. We have lots of starters coming back off of a playoff team from last year. 

I think we are in for some excitement this year at least. Most of the time a new coach has more success in their 2nd year than the 1st. However, with a young talented team we may see a jump in year 1. How far of one, its hard to tell.

My thoughts on our spring scrimmage:

Positives:  

1.  Developing depth at the QB position was a top priority.  JJ Green will be JJ. But if/when he’s out due to injury or a comfy lead.... we need someone to come out and move the ball.   We struggled with that last season. The offense would grind to a halt without JJ.  Burris looked strong tonight. Have to be thrilled with his progression.  

2. Our WR corps was a highlight in 2015. And again last season.  But they may even be better in 2019.  So many targets to pick from.  So much speed.  And they will get it if it’s anywhere near them. 

3.  Mav running game has been sketch the last couple of years. No big top notch RBs to hand the game to when running the clock is a priority (See Huntsville last season).  But we saw some strong runs tonight. Several break always with great speed. 

4,  Defense was outstanding most of the night. Lots of tackles for loss. Rushed the QB. Hard hits.... and caused some turnovers.  Not a bad night considering some key players that were out tonight for injuries. 

5.  The crowd.  Wowzers.  Most I’ve ever seen at a red and white scrimmage in 20 years.  More than some teams I saw last season for a real game.   Mav Nation seems fired up   Lots of excitement.  

6.  Participation numbers.  The numbers for the varsity and JV scrimmages were unreal.  But the number of MJHS players was insane.   Dunno where all those kids came from.   Just an explosion in participation from the JH.  

7.  First glimpse of some of the work UA, BSNSports, and Waterboy graphics is working on looks fantastic.  They just started this week and will have lots more coming over the summer.   These upgrades are exciting and great to see.  

Negatives:

1.  Turnovers.  A couple of turnovers by the RBs were troublesome.  And.... as per the norm it seems for the last couple of years..... the exchange from center to QB and/or QB handoff was more adventurous than it should be.  Gotta shire that up. 

2.  Defense struggled on some of their tackling that lead to some big gains. Can’t arm tackle. Will burn you every time. 

3.  No kicking tonight.  Was disappointed not having the kickers in the game. PAT’s and field goals were always an adventure last season.  Dunno if that’s improved or not. Hope so.  Such an important part of the game. Was hoping to see some work. 

4.  Something has GOT to be done about the lighting.  It’s tooooo dark on the field and in the stands when the sun goes down.  

5.  I didn’t win the Ranger tickets, Aggie football package, or the 55” screen TV.  Clearly it was rigged. Lmao. 

6. Hopefully either the community, MISD, a private donor.... or money from the sky can come renovate the restrooms.   Take care of this and we really got a top notch facility with the new press box, scoreboard, new turf, etc. 

Overall.  A great night for the program and the community.  Tons of positive things going on. But always some things to keep working on. 

7 on 7 league and SQTs are next. 

We will participate in the Tyler SQT and the Frisco tourney. Maybe a third.  Hate that the Lufkin SQT didn’t make. 

More updates later. 

Go Mavs go! 

On 5/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, Mavchamp said:

I'm going to wait to see the the names and # of starters each team has coming back before I make any solid predictions.  

But I honestly believe 9-5A is going to be MUCH more competitive this season.

Lindale has proven they can hang with anyone.  Hard to discount them....even though they are the smallest school in the district.  I'm interested to see what they have coming back.  Dangerous to overlook them.

It still boggles my mind that PT missed the playoff the way they did last season.  They got the upset of the season when they beat Lindale down pretty good.... but their 45-43 loss to Whitehouse and the 43-42 loss to Nac just killed their season.  They should have been 7-3.  No doubt in my mind.

Whitehouse always seems to have the horses.  No idea what they have coming back.  But to be a challenger for the district title last season....some of their struggles were eye-popping.  They only beat Jacksonville (23-14), struggled to beat PT (45-43), and even had trouble with Hallsville (35-28).  So....yeah...they had some issues last season.

I don't want to jinx my Mavs..... they are likely to be the favorites again...but we still have question marks.  We have a senior QB coming back.... but we have some depth behind him finally....so that's good.  We have some questions on defense with so many players graduating.  Offense may have found a RB.....something we haven't had since 2015.  The offense may be even better than it was last season.  More diverse for sure I think.  But Defense and the kicking games are areas of concern.  We shall see.

Nac seems primed for improvement....but you just never know how a new coach is going to do in a first season.  Sometimes things are seamless and easy....sometimes the transition can have some growing pains.  It will be interesting to see how quickly the Dragons adapt to new offensive and defensive

I think Jacksonville could be improved in 2019..... but how much?  Enough to challenge Marshall, Nac, Lindale, or Pine Tree?  Maybe.....again...I want to see numbers and who's coming back.  

Mount Pleasant just seems to have a numbers problem.  They always have athletes....just not enough to hang for four quarters.  No idea what to expect from them.

Hallsville..... They seem to have just as many athletes as any one else that has a winning tradition....but they never seem to translate it on the field.  IMHO.... Hallsville should be in the district title talk EVERY season.  Yet they haven't been to the playoffs since 2015.  Only 2 playoffs wins since 2010.  Bobcats need a good season...or the rumbles of change could be upon them again.

Jacksonville lost their starting QB to Bullard. Don't know who will replace him. I think Pine Tree will beat everybody in District play except for Marshall. I think it finishes Marshall, PT, Lindale, and WH (in that order)

Bullard?   Seems he would be better off at Jax IMHO.  

But I agree. PT will be a tough out in 2019. I thought they would be in 2018 too.... but those last second losses just killed them. 

Think I'll keep an eye on those boys in West Longview.

PT appears to have weapons offensively. DJ Freeman is one of ETX best kept secrets at the QB position and he has several targets. JJ Sparkman and Gabe Adams are FBS recruits at WR. Have to replace several OL but their O should be able to move the ball again.

Of course, all of that won't mean anything unless PT starts putting some emphasis on defense. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

1. Poteet/JT 

2. JT/ Poteet

3. North 

4. West Mesquite 

5. Texas High

6. Sherman

7. Wylie East. 

who is going to be the QB for JT.  I hear it may be one of their returning starters at LB.  if its him, is he going to play both ways?  Also hear the JV qb last yr has a shot too.

4 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

who is going to be the QB for JT.  I hear it may be one of their returning starters at LB.  if its him, is he going to play both ways?  Also hear the JV qb last yr has a shot too.

Yes, JT has 2 qbs basically going right now. Isaiah Johnson, Sr, played lb this past season, and Cameron Ford, jr, jv qb last season. They're both capable and ready IMO. JT is going to be a a VERY young team in the Fall. Going to take time to put it all together. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Yes, JT has 2 qbs basically going right now. Isaiah Johnson, Sr, played lb this past season, and Cameron Ford, jr, jv qb last season. They're both capable and ready IMO. JT is going to be a a VERY young team in the Fall. Going to take time to put it all together. 

If I was Holmes I’m going with Ford so he can have two years under his belt at qb unless it goes south real quick. Leave Johnson for defense I wouldn’t want my qb playing both sides. 

• Like 1

Question.  Is there a slight talent shift in Tyler toward Lee?

I only ask because Lee's freshmen team this past year was pretty good...they only loss 3 games to Mesquite, Rockwall and Longview (all relatively close losses) and that was with Miller on varsity. I know JR and SR classes definitely in favor of JT.. question is more so about the sophomores and incoming freshmen. 

Saw where Boulter and 3 Lakes were the two best 8th grade teams in Tyler this past year...Boulter beating 3 lakes. Advantage JT?

41 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I only ask because Lee's freshmen team this past year was pretty good...they only loss 3 games to Mesquite, Rockwall and Longview (all relatively close losses) and that was with Miller on varsity. I know JR and SR classes definitely in favor of JT.. question is more so about the sophomores and incoming freshmen. 

Saw where Boulter and 3 Lakes were the two best 8th grade teams in Tyler this past year...Boulter beating 3 lakes. Advantage JT?

JT will have the better freshman classes this Fall and next year. Lee had a good freshman this past season. The question is will Lee capitalize on it! Lee is a program that can't get out of its own way and Traylor better start showing results if he wants to keep his job! JT has 2 feeders in Boulter AND Moore. The class JT is getting in the Fall is on par with the one Lee has this past season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

JT will have the better freshman classes this Fall and next year. Lee had a good freshman this past season. The question is will Lee capitalize on it! Lee is a program that can't get out of its own way and Traylor better start showing results if he wants to keep his job! JT has 2 feeders in Boulter AND Moore. The class JT is getting in the Fall is on par with the one Lee has this past season. 

Gotcha.

9 hours ago, ANTI said:

I would say despite Lee having a better fresh class last yr, JT had a decent one as well.  They went undefeated in District, and I think they beat Longview Fresh.  I would say despite Lee good underclassmen, the talent shift hasn't happen yet. 

but speaking of talent shift, Pine Tree has got a few d-1 guys over there, whats going on in Longview?

12 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I would say despite Lee having a better fresh class last yr, JT had a decent one as well.  They went undefeated in District, and I think they beat Longview Fresh.

They did. That was part of the freshmen's 1-3 start (the 14-8 loss to JT). Longview's freshmen really start slow and by the time Lee faced them were a completely different team. Will be interesting to see how they come to fruition in the next two years.

16 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

but speaking of talent shift, Pine Tree has got a few d-1 guys over there, whats going on in Longview?

PT has actually had skill position talent for a while now...so there isnt a talent shift at all. I think they're just in a system that they can thrive in now compared to years' past.

Also helps that they have a good QB to get them the ball now too...I remember watching Freeman when they scrimmaged our Freshmen back in 2017. PT took a bad L but I could tell Freeman was gonna be a difference maker for them at QB.

Still though, there's not much going on defense and in the trenches. They'll have to outscore alot of people.

18 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They did. That was part of the freshmen's 1-3 start (the 14-8 loss to JT). Longview's freshmen really start slow and by the time Lee faced them were a completely different team. Will be interesting to see how they come to fruition in the next two years.

wow, when is the last time LV underclassmen have lost that many games...Im not sure if you combine the JV and Freshman records it has equal to that many losses in quite some time.

14 hours ago, ANTI said:

PT has actually had skill position talent for a while now...so there isnt a talent shift at all. I think they're just in a system that they can thrive in now compared to years' past.

Also helps that they have a good QB to get them the ball now too...I remember watching Freeman when they scrimmaged our Freshmen back in 2017. PT took a bad L but I could tell Freeman was gonna be a difference maker for them at QB.

Still though, there's not much going on defense and in the trenches. They'll have to outscore alot of people.

hmmm..ok.  

they have been down so long, it would be good to see them have a decent team.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread