2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

30 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Wont be a dropoff.

2019 > 2017 without question.

And 2019 could have a better defense than both 2017 and 2018.

Not to mention Haynes King-Kaden Meredith combo could be the best QB-RB duo we've had in a while, possibly ever.

we will see. I hope they go 15-1 and win state again.  

Meanwhile.....back to 5A..... 

Let's get some predictions for winners

Most intriguing game?
Most likely to see an upset?
Biggest cupcake game?
Most likely to be a barnburner?
Random thoughts on any of them?

WEEK ONE
Longview Vs. Lufkin
Mesquite Horn Vs. John Tyler
Pflugerville Hendrickson Vs. Texas High
Tyler Lee Vs. Marshall
Kilgore Vs. Nacogdoches
Frisco Wakeland Vs. Sulphur Springs
Carthage Vs. Jacksonville
Ennis Vs. Waxahachie
Whitehouse Vs. Henderson
Pine Tree Vs. Bullard
Kaufman Vs. Lindale
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East
Hallsville Vs. Terrell
Royse City Vs. Frisco Centennial
Corsicana Vs. Burleson Centennial 
Dallas White Vs. Greenville

Most intriguing game?  As a football fan.... no doubt Longview Vs. Lufkin because of their history of epic games.  But personally.... Kilgore vs. Nac.  If the Dragons light Kilgore up.... that could be a warning shot to 9-5A that Nac is coming in roaring.  If they struggle with Kilgore... could show they have a ways to go yet.

Most likely to see an upset?  Tyler Lee beating Marshall would be an upset IMHO....but that's always a possibility when you have two schools with an enrollment disparity as big as Lee and Marshall do.  Size matters....and Lee traditionally has a lot more of it than the Mavs so.  

Biggest cupcake game?  Hallsville Vs. Terrell or Pine Tree Vs. Bullard.  Take your pick.  No excuse for either of them losing either of their games.

Most likely to be a barnburner?  Longview/Lufkin and Ennis/Waxahachie.... both rivalry games.  Marshall/Lee could be a tight one too if the Mav O-line struggles.

WEEK ONE
Longview Vs. Lufkin-   Lobos will likely roll.

Mesquite Horn Vs. John Tyler-  Wouldn't be shocked to see JT win.... but I think Mesquite will win a close one.

Pflugerville Hendrickson Vs. Texas High- Texas High struggled last season.... but they are a tough draw at home... in what is likely PH's longest road trip of the season.  Tiger offense will struggle in the opener though.... Hendrickson wins a close one.

Tyler Lee Vs. Marshall -   The Mavs are generally tough to beat at home.  If Marshall can jump out to a lead early on..... Lee's size shouldn't be an issue.  But if this game is close headed into the 4th.... Lee's bulk could lead to a Red Raider win by tiring our a smaller Mav defense.  I vote for a big lead early on... hold on to win.

Kilgore Vs. Nacogdoches-  Nac gets a rare home win..... setting the tone of things to come for Nac fans.

Frisco Wakeland Vs. Sulphur Springs-  Wakeland wins comfortably.  

Carthage Vs. Jacksonville-   Bulldogs make easy work of the Indians.  This game is wrapped up by halfitme.

Ennis Vs. Waxahachie-  Toss up?  Waxahachie.... no other reason than they are the home team.  

Whitehouse Vs. Henderson- Henderson offense is too much for the WH defense.  

Pine Tree Vs. Bullard-   Pine Tree may lay 60 on them.

Kaufman Vs. Lindale - Eagles get a big win to open the season.

Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East  - Size will be the difference.  

Hallsville Vs. Terrell- Bobcats in a blowout 

Royse City Vs. Frisco Centennial- stab in the dark..... Frisco.

Corsicana Vs. Burleson Centennial - Corsicana should be loaded this season.

Dallas White Vs. Greenville - Lions open the season with a big win.

Most intriguing game? Other than Nac/Kilgore for obvious reasons-WH/Henderson or Kaufman/Lindale-First look at the teams Nac will compete with for a playoff spot.
Most likely to see an upset? Jacksoville over Carthage-Opening the Tomato Bowl the Indians could be jacked up for this one. Want to beat Carthage, catch them early in the year!!
Biggest cupcake game? Pine Tree/Bullard-I agree with Mav Champs this game should be over by halftime.
Most likely to be a barnburner? Horn/JT and Longview/LP

WEEK ONE
Longview Vs. Lufkin-Always a classic!!! Longview extends its steak over Lufkin.
Mesquite Horn Vs. John Tyler-JT should pull this out
Pflugerville Hendrickson Vs. Texas High-PH Takes this one on the road.
Tyler Lee Vs. Marshall-Marshall Big!!!!
Kilgore Vs. Nacogdoches-Nac at Home-Homer pick of the week:) 
Frisco Wakeland Vs. Sulphur Springs-SS takes it
Carthage Vs. Jacksonville-Carthage takes it at the Bowl!!! It will be close!!
Ennis Vs. Waxahachie- Ennis on the road
Whitehouse Vs. Henderson- Henderson at home!!
Pine Tree Vs. Bullard-PT as big as they want
Kaufman Vs. Lindale-  Kaufman in a close one.
Mount Pleasant Vs. Wylie East- Wylie East takes it home
Hallsville Vs. Terrell-  Should be 1 of their wins this season.
Royse City Vs. Frisco Centennial-Frisco(have a buddy that coaches there)
Corsicana Vs. Burleson Centennial-Corsicana-Hoping for Nac/Cana playoff game this year:)
Dallas White Vs. Greenville-Greenville

Wasn't the Hendrickson/Texas High game in Waco last season? I know it was a neutral site game. I believe this year would likely be a neutral site game again.

Edit: it'll be on Thursday at Waxahachie btw. Just looked it up.

http://www.pfisd.net/cms/lib/TX01001527/Centricity/Domain/1389/Copy of Football.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Corsicana Vs. Burleson Centennial-Corsicana-Hoping for Nac/Cana playoff game this year:

A Nac/Cana playoff game would be for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! 

Since Corsicana is in Region II and Nac is in Region III...… they would only meet in the title game.

DREAM BIG! 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

A Nac/Cana playoff game would be for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP! 

Since Corsicana is in Region II and Nac is in Region III...… they would only meet in the title game.

DREAM BIG! 

Forgot they were in different regions!!! That would be some high drama!!!  Realignment could set that up in February as well. I don't think much changes in the district unless there is movement with Kilgore, Chapel Hill or Lindale. 

31 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

PG torched Hallsville, SS and MP did not have impressive showings against LE in their scrimmages. Hate that 5A East Texas football is not what it once was. With the exception of Marshall, it doesn't look good for the post season in 5A D2. Maybe the new coach will get things going in Nac. 

We held our own against a tough jasper team. Still a lot of kinks to be worked out but I see us finishing no lower then 2nd behind Marshall.

I'm thinking the bottom tier 5a d2 will still be way down. The teams mentioned and a few others. I like Nac, PT, and Lindale to all be much improved this year.  Those 3 will all have a say at second place and a home playoff game. Should be very interesting. I got Whitehouse at 5 and missing playoffs, with Hallsville and Mt P battling for cellar dweller.

Marshall can't overlook any of the other 3 teams or we will be in that same battle for a home playoff game. 

38 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

but I see us finishing no lower then 2nd behind Marshall.

Pretty big statement!!!

I don’t think I’d underestimate  Lindale and Whitehouse so quickly.  They have been in playoff races pretty consistently for the last decade or so. 

And TBH.... Pine Tree is the one everyone needs to be taking notice of.  I think the Pirates are going to make some noise. 

JMHO. 

2 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

We held our own against a tough jasper team. Still a lot of kinks to be worked out but I see us finishing no lower then 2nd behind Marshall.

The people on setx said y’all lost 5-1 in the controlled portion. 🤭

13 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The people on setx said y’all lost 5-1 in the controlled portion. 🤭

7 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Did they say that we won the live portion?

Jasper outscored us 5-2 I think in controlled portion but also threw 3-4 Picks that they retained possession on. One would have been a pick 6 if not being blown dead. Jasper also had a lot of penalties and I think Nac. only got flagged twice the entire night. Nacs 2nds gave up 3 of the scores, Nac also Played everyone with the time splits being even. The 2nds played exactly half of the live portion as well. 

At the end of the day it was a scrimmage and means very little, other than letting us practice against a run oriented team with speed. Jasper has  a lot of team speed and runs the ball very well. I am worried about our D Line they wore down towards the end of the controlled portions with Jaspers O-line leaning on the the entire time. Our O Line is huge and opened a lot of running room. 

It will be an interesting first year for Allman in Nac. The atmosphere around the team is definitively different. They carry themselves different and they seem more disciplined. We will see next week if it carries over. 

I am staying with this for now!!

1.Marshall 

2.Nac

3.Pine Tree

4.Lindale

5.Whitehouse

6.Jacksonville

7.Hallsville 

8.Mt Pleasant

2-5 could flip flop very easily. After Marshall I don't think there is a clear cut favorite.

Alignment is still months away...... but something for East Texas 5A fans to think about.... 

I saw where Texas High’s enrollment is down to the 1700s.... down about 200 from where they use to be. 

This will put the Tiger close to the bubble of dropping to D2. 

Iffffffff.... THS was to drop... what happens to them (and MP) for alignment. 

MP was grouped in the southern 5A D2 district with Marshall, PT, Nac, etc....

But Sulphur Springs, Greenville, etc are in another. 

Would THS join MP south?  Or do they go down I30?  And does MP follow them west?  

Which could open the door for Ennis/Corsi to join the south district. 

Could be interesting. 

Thoughts?  

38 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Alignment is still months away...... but something for East Texas 5A fans to think about.... 

I saw where Texas High’s enrollment is down to the 1700s.... down about 200 from where they use to be. 

You're like the 600th person I've seen say this on here about T-High. I'm just so use to them being in 1800-1900 range....so I went to the TEA site and did some homework.

And wow. Yall are right. They had 1773 in the fall last year and reportedly less than that on 1st day this year.

T-High definitely looks to be D2 bound.  

JT may be the lone 5A D1 team in ETX. In the I-20/I-30 corridor anyway.

11 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Iffffffff.... THS was to drop... what happens to them (and MP) for alignment. 

MP was grouped in the southern 5A D2 district with Marshall, PT, Nac, etc....

But Sulphur Springs, Greenville, etc are in another. 

Would THS join MP south?  Or do they go down I30?  And does MP follow them west?  

Which could open the door for Ennis/Corsi to join the south district. 

Could be interesting. 

Thoughts?  

Its never too early for realignment talk.....

Texas High posted 1874 in 2018-thats a big drop in enrollment...

I guess the split is going to depend on Kilgore (1119), Lindale(1154) and Maybe even Chapel Hill(1055)

Nac is currently the biggest in the area 5aD2 at 1756

5A /4ACut Offs in 2018 were 

5D1-1840-2189

5D2-1150-1839

4A-D1790-1149

Splits would be-If all of those teams move into 5a D2

North-Marshall, Tx High, PT, Hallsville, MP, SS, Greenville

South- Nac, Jax, WH, Kilgore, CH, Lindale 

The district Ennis and Corsicana district they are in now, makes much more sense travel wise for them. Kaufman/Terrel/Royce City moving into 5A makes that a solid district in my opinion. I think Greenville and SS comeback to East Texas if TX H drops. 

Who knows with the UIL!!!!

Yeah.  I had heard they were trending downward. 

Same thing Marshall and Nac experienced almost 20 years ago. 

Nac was 1900ish.  Now 1700ish.  Marshall was 1700ish now 1500ish. 

Odd how consistent it is.  Lgv and Lufkin seem to be the only ones not experiencing that. 

JT seems up and down from year to year.  Lee... who knows. I’ve heard 2500.  Heard 2100.  Huge drop if true. 

Landscape is changing. 

Didn’t realize Lindale is so close to dropping. 

I always though Jax was borderline to 4A too. 

Also didn’t realize how close Kilgore is to moving up again. 

If I was Texas High... I’d be working to Highland Park myself into D2 just to save on travel time and money.....much less to be more competitive. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread