2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

A very good chance Marshall, Nac, Jacksonville, and Whitehouse are all (0-3) headed into district.

I'd rather get punched in the face by tough opponents in non-district and win when it counts than beat up on weak opponents only to struggle when district starts.

After going 6-10 in the opening week...... East Texas 5A will look to bounce back in week 2.   But it won't be easy.  Here is the slate:

Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches
Marshall Vs. Longview
Tyler Lee Vs. John Tyler
Texas High Vs. Arkansas High
Chapel Hill Vs. Whitehouse
Sulphur Springs Vs. Lucas Lovejoy
Mount Pleasant Vs. North Lamar
Jacksonville Vs. Palestine
Kilgore Vs Hallsville
Pittsburgh Vs. Pine Tree
Lindale Vs. Forney
Garland Vs. Royse City
Greenville Vs. Dallas Lincoln
Ennis Vs. Bishop Lynch
Corsicana Vs. FW Boswell

Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches- LP probably going to win this easy.  Going to be ugly for Nac I feel.

Tyler Lee Vs. John Tyler-  Who knows.  Was shocked to see JT struggle with Horn.  Was more shocked by Lee.  Neither winning would shock me.  Going to pick JT..... but if Lee was to pull it off.... it wouldn't surprise me.

Texas High Vs. Arkansas High-  Tiger offense has been in a funk.  AHS gets the win.

Chapel Hill Vs. Whitehouse-  Wildcats couldn't get moving Vs. Henderson.  CH gets the win.

Sulphur Springs Vs. Lucas Lovejoy-  LL plays tonight (Saturday). SS is still giving up BIG points.  That spells trouble.

Mount Pleasant Vs. North Lamar-  Tigers will be 2-0.  MP scores at will Vs. NL.

Jacksonville Vs. Palestine- WIldcats win at home.  Jville still looking for their offense.

Kilgore Vs Hallsville-  Kdogs win this one.  If Hallsville keeps it close..... 9-5A better pay attention to the Bobcats.

Pittsburgh Vs. Pine Tree - Pirates will be 2-0 as they continue their march through a seemingly JV level schedule.

Lindale Vs. Forney- Lindale defense will keep the Eagles unbeaten.

Garland Vs. Royse City-  The Owls will likely smack RC in the mouth.

Greenville Vs. Dallas Lincoln- This is a toss up.  Greenville SHOULD have won Friday.  But..... The Lions will get their victory this week.

Ennis Vs. Bishop Lynch- Ennis.  By a lot.

Corsicana Vs. FW Boswell- Corsicana by a lot.

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

A very good chance Marshall, Nac, Jacksonville, and Whitehouse are all (0-3) headed into district.

I'd rather get punched in the face by tough opponents in non-district and win when it counts than beat up on weak opponents only to struggle when district starts.

Agree 100%, I am hoping that we are just working stuff out!! Every district team has some warts to work through right now. I will say Lindale might be the only one that would hard pressed to find stuff after week 1.

Whitehouse was shutout for the first time since the first 2 games of 1998 when they got shutout in back to back games.

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches- LP probably going to win this easy.  Going to be ugly for Nac I feel.

Tyler Lee Vs. John Tyler-  Who knows.  Was shocked to see JT struggle with Horn.  Was more shocked by Lee.  Neither winning would shock me.  Going to pick JT..... but if Lee was to pull it off.... it wouldn't surprise me.

Texas High Vs. Arkansas High-  Tiger offense has been in a funk.  AHS gets the win.

Chapel Hill Vs. Whitehouse-  Wildcats couldn't get moving Vs. Henderson.  CH gets the win.

Sulphur Springs Vs. Lucas Lovejoy-  LL plays tonight (Saturday). SS is still giving up BIG points.  That spells trouble.

Mount Pleasant Vs. North Lamar-  Tigers will be 2-0.  MP scores at will Vs. NL.

Jacksonville Vs. Palestine- WIldcats win at home.  Jville still looking for their offense.

Kilgore Vs Hallsville-  Kdogs win this one.  If Hallsville keeps it close..... 9-5A better pay attention to the Bobcats.

Pittsburgh Vs. Pine Tree - Pirates will be 2-0 as they continue their march through a seemingly JV level schedule.

Lindale Vs. Forney- Lindale defense will keep the Eagles unbeaten.

Garland Vs. Royse City-  The Owls will likely smack RC in the mouth.

Greenville Vs. Dallas Lincoln- This is a toss up.  Greenville SHOULD have won Friday.  But..... The Lions will get their victory this week.

Ennis Vs. Bishop Lynch- Ennis.  By a lot.

Corsicana Vs. FW Boswell- Corsicana by a lot.

Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches- LP big-gonna be a long night!!
Tyler Lee Vs. John Tyler-  JT- but closer than originally expected

Chapel Hill Vs. Whitehouse- CH hasnt won this game since 2003
Sulphur Springs Vs. Lucas Lovejoy-  LL 

Mount Pleasant Vs. North Lamar-MP

Jacksonville Vs. Palestine- Palestine

Pittsburgh Vs. Pine Tree - PT scoring points, but defensive concerns remind me of LY

Lindale Vs. Forney- Lindale
Kilgore Vs Hallsville-  Kilgore Big
Garland Vs. Royse City-  Garland
Greenville Vs. Dallas Lincoln- Greenville
Ennis Vs. Bishop Lynch- Ennis
Corsicana Vs. FW Boswell-Cana

On 5/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, NODAYSOFFTX said:

My favorite for the district title in 7-5A D1 is : Mesquite Poteet, but with JT right behind

Deep Playoff Runs? JT only makes a deep playoff run if the win district cause I don’t think they play highland park in the second round. Would rather them have a 4th round rematch at least lol. Mesquite poteet will potentially have a chance to make a semifinal or possibly a state appearance with the firepower they have back on offense. They could start the season as a top 5 team in the state and JT could be somewhere in the top 10. McKinney north has a chance to make some noise too in the playoffs if they make the playoffs also. For JT I think the biggest roadblock for them is getting over from last year if they have meet highland park again and finally break through. 

The dark horse for me would be Lufkin. Even though they are not in my district I feel like most people around the state will kinda look down on Lufkin after all the hype last year only to lead to a 2nd round blowout exit. But with some of the pieces Lufkin has back they could make a slight run. 

If anyone in our district can upset a district favorite it would be North they took both JT and Poteet to the brink last year and I think they will feel good about that when they play both of us again. 

My playoff prediction would be

1. Poteet/JT 

2. JT/ Poteet

3. North 

4. West Mesquite 

5. Texas High

6. Sherman

7. Wylie East. 

Poor Wylie East it will be another really badddddd year. 

It will be McKinney North, John Tyler, Sherman, West Mesquite,  for 7-5a div1.  Poteet lost their star QB, and several star receivers this year.  They are playing in College now.  The star running back has committed to OU and may play on a limited basis if any.  He is a 3 year to NFL type player.  I doubt risk on being a millionaire in a few years for high school.   Poteet is in major rebuild mode if you ask me. They will be lucky to make the playoffs. Its still early though, we will see.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mavchamp said:

After going 6-10 in the opening week...... East Texas 5A will look to bounce back in week 2.   But it won't be easy.  Here is the slate:

Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches
Marshall Vs. Longview
Tyler Lee Vs. John Tyler
Texas High Vs. Arkansas High
Chapel Hill Vs. Whitehouse
Sulphur Springs Vs. Lucas Lovejoy
Mount Pleasant Vs. North Lamar
Jacksonville Vs. Palestine
Kilgore Vs Hallsville
Pittsburgh Vs. Pine Tree
Lindale Vs. Forney
Garland Vs. Royse City
Greenville Vs. Dallas Lincoln
Ennis Vs. Bishop Lynch
Corsicana Vs. FW Boswell

Lufkin vs Nac- Lufkin too much for Nac.

Longview vs Marshall- Longview way too much for Marshall

Lee vs John Tyler- JT gonna take this one

Texas High vs Arkansas High- Arkansas High

CHill vs Whitehouse- Sorry Whitehouse but gotta take CHill.

Sulpher Springs vs Lucas Lovejoy- SS doesnt have enough defense. Lovejoy takes this one.

MP vs NL- MP might put up 80 on North Lamar. They will score at will.

Jacksoville vs Palestine- Palestine

Kilgore vs Hallsville- Kilgore is much improved. Kilgore takes it.

Pittsburg vs PT- Sorry to my neighbors to the south. PT wins this going away.

Lindale vs Forney- i will take Forney

Garland vs RC- Garland

Greenville vs Bishop- Hopefully Greenville gets off the L-train with a win.

Ennis vs Bishop Lynch- Ennis

Corsicana vs FW Boswell- Corsicana

9-5A Div II Finals
Pittsburgh beat Pine Tree 42-30
Whitehouse beat Chapel Hill 46-39
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 44-0
Longview beat Marshall 53-0
Mount Pleasant beat North Lamar 45-14
Jacksonville beat Palestine 49-48
Kilgore beat Hallsville 48-24
Lindale beat Forney 40-0

STANDINGS
Lindale (2-0)
Mount Pleasant (2-0)
Pine Tree (1-1)
Whitehouse (1-1)
Jacksonville (1-1)
Hallsville (1-1)
Marshall (0-2)
Nacogdoches (0-2)

Second week in a row the district has gone (4-4).  Lindae and MP were impressive in their wins over their 4A opponents.  Pine Tree struggled against their 4A rival.  WH gets a big win over their rivals.  Hallsville struggled with 4A Kilgore.  Jacksonville with the minor upset over Palestine.

Marshall and Nac continue to struggle.

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

9-5A Div II Finals
Pittsburgh beat Pine Tree 42-30
Whitehouse beat Chapel Hill 46-39
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 44-0
Longview beat Marshall 53-0
Mount Pleasant beat North Lamar 45-14
Jacksonville beat Palestine 49-48
Kilgore beat Hallsville 48-24
Lindale beat Forney 40-0

STANDINGS
Lindale (2-0)
Mount Pleasant (2-0)
Pine Tree (1-1)
Whitehouse (1-1)
Jacksonville (1-1)
Hallsville (1-1)
Marshall (0-2)
Nacogdoches (0-2)

Second week in a row the district has gone (4-4).  Lindae and MP were impressive in their wins over their 4A opponents.  Pine Tree struggled against their 4A rival.  WH gets a big win over their rivals.  Hallsville struggled with 4A Kilgore.  Jacksonville with the minor upset over Palestine.

Marshall and Nac continue to struggle.

The schedule doesn't get any easier for 9-5a this next week.

WH hosts Melissa-WH survived a scare from CH

Hallsville travels to Bullard

Pine Tree to Kilgore-PT struggled with Pitt

Marshall travels to Carthage-Marshall heading for 0-3??

Jacksonville Hosts Henderson-Jax going to start 0-2 at the Tomato Bowl!!

Lindale Hosts Van-Lindale looking very stout to start the year.

Nac Travels to Tyler Lee on Saturday.-Heading for 0-3

Mt Pleasant is off on 9/13 and hosts Paris on 9/20-surprising or weak non district schedule?

2 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

The schedule doesn't get any easier for 9-5a this next week.

WH hosts Melissa-WH survived a scare from CH

Hallsville travels to Bullard

Pine Tree to Kilgore-PT struggled with Pitt

Marshall travels to Carthage-Marshall heading for 0-3??

Jacksonville Hosts Henderson-Jax going to start 0-2 at the Tomato Bowl!!

Lindale Hosts Van-Lindale looking very stout to start the year.

Nac Travels to Tyler Lee on Saturday.-Heading for 0-3

Mt Pleasant is off on 9/13 and hosts Paris on 9/20-surprising or weak non district schedule?

MP isnt surprisung, they were expected to win thise 2 games. But Paris will be a different game. Im hoping they win but Paris is ranked in the top 10 in 4a D1. If MP wins that on then it will be surprising.  But they have played a lot better the last 6 qtrs of football. But like i said hoping we are 3-0 headed into district play.

I thought the Marshall defense played well enough considering:
1.  They were playing the #4 team in 6A
2.  The terrible positions the offense put them in throughout the game

They were exhausted by the fourth quarter.  

But.... they still gave up some big plays they shouldn't have.  

------
Losing your (formerly) D-1 bound QB on Monday is killer.   The Mavericks have no offensive identity right now.  Sadly.... given how the O-line struggled last night, having that D-1 QB wouldn't have mattered.

I haven't seen the stats....but if we had over 100 yards of offense I'd be shocked.

We have two weeks to find ourselves.  Carthage will be no help in that department.

If we can settle on a QB.... and run with whatever their strength is, I think we will be OK.  But if uncertainty and experimenting continues.... I think the struggles could continue.

No telling what the season will unfold.  We're better than we have shown (on offense and defense).  But until that all gels..... how many games can find a way to win?

I don't think the wheels have fallen off our season.  We've been dealt an unforeseen blow.  Gonna come down to how we pull it together.

But there is no denying..... the district race just got MUCH tighter and a little more unpredictable. 

A little shocked to see how much Marshall, Nac, and PT have struggled.

Should be a fun race.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:57 PM, Mavchamp said:

I thought the Marshall defense played well enough considering:
1.  They were playing the #4 team in 6A
2.  The terrible positions the offense put them in throughout the game

They were exhausted by the fourth quarter.  

But.... they still gave up some big plays they shouldn't have.  

------
Losing your (formerly) D-1 bound QB on Monday is killer.   The Mavericks have no offensive identity right now.  Sadly.... given how the O-line struggled last night, having that D-1 QB wouldn't have mattered.

I haven't seen the stats....but if we had over 100 yards of offense I'd be shocked.

We have two weeks to find ourselves.  Carthage will be no help in that department.

If we can settle on a QB.... and run with whatever their strength is, I think we will be OK.  But if uncertainty and experimenting continues.... I think the struggles could continue.

No telling what the season will unfold.  We're better than we have shown (on offense and defense).  But until that all gels..... how many games can find a way to win?

I don't think the wheels have fallen off our season.  We've been dealt an unforeseen blow.  Gonna come down to how we pull it together.

But there is no denying..... the district race just got MUCH tighter and a little more unpredictable. 

A little shocked to see how much Marshall, Nac, and PT have struggled.

Should be a fun race.

I don’t know how you can say it was unforeseen with all the events that transpired over the last several months with that young man. The HC will have to navigate the politics. 

The Mavs have definitely come back to the pack in that district. 

All it will take(even if it is a big one)is finding a somewhat mobile Qb that has a strong arm. At least a good enough arm to get the ball up to our tall wrs. There's nobody I've seen that can guard Savion if the ball is put in a good high position. I'd like to see Older Phillips and Rawls get some qb reps running some zone read n rpos. Phillips is a physical runner with a strong pitcher arm if im not mistaken. Anything is worth a try at this point. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread