2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

32 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Dang kinda suprised about Lee. Lee must have been good for only a short spell. Maybe 95-2005 . I am sure  Lobo07 could bring me up to speed.

98-04 basically.

They missed the playoffs the first year after they won state, then had a pretty solid team in 06. But it's been way rough since. And of course, before Owens got there, they would have a good year here and there, but it was nothing consistent.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

We actually have a better record against Longview than we do JT (7-31). Granted we haven't played them in almost 20 years.

34-8 Longview, with one forfeit by the Lobos in 1952 (a game Longview won 39-0). That one forfeit is Nac's lone ever win in Longview (1-22 at Lobo/Fair Park). 

https://lobohistory.com/gamelogs/nacogdoches.html

24 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

34-8 Longview, with one forfeit by the Lobos in 1952 (a game Longview won 39-0). That one forfeit is Nac's lone ever win in Longview (1-22 at Lobo/Fair Park). 

https://lobohistory.com/gamelogs/nacogdoches.html

Yeah I didn't scroll to the bottom of my spread sheet missed the last few games. 

REL record is 15-22 after this years loss

and I left LP off we are 23-72-6.

• Like 1

My 9-5A predictions for this week

Hallsville @ Pine Tree-Pine Tree Big

Mt Pleasant  @ Whitehouse-Mt Pleasant 

Jacksonville @ Nacogdoches -Nac 

Lindale @ Marshall-Marshall

We will get to see if it is 6 teams fighting for the top spot this week or if it is Marshall and then everyone else fighting for 3 spots. A bunch close games will signal we are heading for the last week to sort this out.  

4 blowouts and we will see instant separation.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, Pack007 said:

There are the current playoff predictions for this week in 5A D1 Region 2:

W5. LONE STAR 3-0 VS F6. SAMUELL 2-2

R8. COLLEGE STATION 2-1 VS T7. SHERMAN 3-1

W6. HIGHLAND PARK 3-1 VS F5. WAKELAND 2-1

R7. MCKINNEY NORTH 3-1 VS T8. MAGNOLIA 2-1

W7. TEXAS HIGH 3-1 VS F8. MAGNOLIA WEST 1-2

R6. LANCASTER 3-1 VS T5. INDEPENDENCE  3-0

W8. LUFKIN 2-1 VS F7. WYLIE EAST 2-2

R5. THE COLONY 3-0 VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW 2-2

There aren't many changes. Most teams had a bye or open week. District finally starts this week for all teams. Poteet in district 7 will have a bye. I think a few questions will be answered this week, especially about JT and Thigh. The winner will have an early playoff edge and could be the favorite to become district champs later on in the season. Here are the big games for week 5. . 

Texas High @ John Tyler

Sherman @ McKinney North

Tomball @ Magnolia West

If John Tyler can’t score this week there is no way we will win district let alone make the playoffs. Sad...

Marshall JV beat Lindale 22-6 for their first win of the season.  They are 1-3.  

Both 9th grade teams won: 
9th A team won 22-0.  They are 1-3 on the season.  

9th B team won 18-0.   They are 2-1 on the season

8-5A Div II Standings
Royse City (3-0) (5-0)
Ennis (3-0) (4-1)
Corsicana (3-0) (4-1)
Greenville (1-1) (2-2)
North Forney (1-2) (3-2)
Forney (1-2) (2-3)
Terrell (1-2) (1-4)
Sulphur Springs (0-3) (0-5)
Kaufman (0-3) (0-5)

This is turning out to be a fantastic race for the district title.  The push for the #4 slot could prove to be pretty exciting too.  Royse City and Ennis will tangle this coming Friday in a HUGE game....def the game of the week in the district.  The winner of Ennis/RC will likely face Corsicana for the district championship in coming weeks.   And look out..... the Greenville Lions are in the hunt!  They will face NF Friday in a game that could solidify their playoff push.

----------

9-5A DIV II Standings
Pine Tree (1-0) (2-2)
Whitehouse (1-0) (2-2)
Marshall (1-0) (1-3)
Nacogdoches (1-0) (1-3)
Hallsville (0-1) (2-2)
Mt. Pleasant (0-1) (2-2)
Lindale (0-1) (2-2)
Jacksonville (0-1) (1-3)

Unlike 8-5A, 9-5A doesn't seem to have a clear cut favorites early on.  This is truly anyone's district to take.  As expected (by many at least) PT, WH, Nac, and Marshall opened with wins.  This is setting the table for some interesting games in coming weeks.  IMHO..... Nac Vs. Lindale is the game of the week this week for 9-5A.  A Nac win puts Lindale behind the 8-ball.  But an Eagle win could set up some messy tiebreakers at the end of the season.  Marshall/Hallsville has buzz only because it's a rivalry game.  

---------

7-5A Div I Standings
McKinney North (1-0) (4-1)
John Tyler (1-0) (1-4)
West Mesquite (1-0) (1-4)
Mesquite Poteet (0-0) (1-3)
Texas High (0-1) (3-2)
Sherman (0-1) (3-2)
Wylie East (0-1) (2-3)

North still appears to be the favorite for the district title, but JT's demise may have been exaggerated.  This race could be down to the wire for all 4 slots.  The McKinney North/Texas High game seems the most intriguing this coming week simply because this MIGHT (tongue-in-cheek) be the longest road trip in school history.  Grimm isn't the easiest venue in the world to steal a win.  JT should make easy work of WE, as they fell to MP earlier this season.  

----------

8-5A DIv II
College Station (1-0) (3-1)
Lufkin (1-0) (3-1)
Magnolia (1-0) (3-1)
Magnolia West (1-0) (2-2)
Tomball (0-1) (1-3)
WIllis (0-1) (1-3)
Caney Creek (0-1) (1-3)
Waller (0-1) (0-3)

Lufkin Vs Magnolia could be a good one this coming Friday.  Winner of that game is setting up a monster game Vs College Station.

----------------

Week 6 5A games:
McKinney North Vs. Texas High
John Tyler Vs Wylie East 
Poteet Vs. Sherman
West Mesquite- BYE
Lufkin Vs. Magnolia
Magnolia West Vs. Willis
Caney Creek Vs. Tomball
Waller Vs. College Station
Nacogdoches Vs. Lindale
Marshall Vs. Hallsville
Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville
Pine Tree Vs. Mount Pleasant
Ennis Vs. Royse City
North Forney Vs. Greenville
Terrell Vs. Corsicana
Sulphur Springs Vs. Forney
Kaufman- BYE

Week 6 5A games:
McKinney North Vs. Texas High-  Tough one.  I'm tempted to pick North Soley based on the fact that the game is in Texarkana.  That's a LOOOONG road trip by DFW standards.  But....THS is inconsistent.  Going with North for now.  If the Tigers get their QB back... I may change my mind.

John Tyler Vs Wylie East- JT proved me wrong.  And I can't forget that Wylie East lost to a Mount Pleasant team I'm not sold on.  I'll take the Lions.

Poteet Vs. Sherman-  Surprised to see Poteet struggle like they have.  But I'm going to take them to win on the road.

West Mesquite- BYE

Lufkin Vs. Magnolia-  LP.... because they just don't seem to lose district games.

Magnolia West Vs. Willis-  Going with West for no reason at all other than why not.

Caney Creek Vs. Tomball-  Another game I know nothing about.  The flipped coin says Tomball.

Waller Vs. College Station-  CS....BIG.  By as many as they want to score.

Nacogdoches Vs. Lindale-  This is my GOTW for 9-5A.  Going to take Nac.  But I wouldn't be shocked to see Lindale win.

Marshall Vs. Hallsville-  Marshall SHOULD win this.  But rivalry games are weird animals.  AND.... we just aren't good enough right now to be looking past/under-estimating anyone. 

Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville-  Tomato Bowl is a nightmare for most.  But I think WH wins and keeps the logjam at the top of the district intact. 

Pine Tree Vs. Mount Pleasant-  PT wins.  MP defense will struggle against the high flying offense of the Pirates.

Ennis Vs. Royse City- Without a doubt the GOTW for this district.  Winner sets up a showdown with Corsicana for the district championship.  Loser may have to settle for third place... which means no home playoff game.  So... this is HUGE.

North Forney Vs. Greenville-  Come on Greenville.  Prove me right.

Terrell Vs. Corsicana- Tigers win easy and are looking to defend their district title Vs. RC and Ennis in the coming weeks.

Sulphur Springs Vs. Forney-   SS seems to have fallen off a cliff.  They are really struggling.  Forney wins.....

Kaufman- BYE

Week 6 5A games:
McKinney North Vs. Texas High- North
 I want to Texas High to do well, but I am afraid they will struggle without the qb. 

John Tyler Vs Wylie East-  JT by a lot. 

Poteet Vs. Sherman-  Poteet 

West Mesquite- BYE

Lufkin Vs. Magnolia-  Lufkin

Magnolia West Vs. Willis-  no clue. Lol

Caney Creek Vs. Tomball-  no clue. Lol

Waller Vs. College Station-  College Station by a lot

Nacogdoches Vs. Lindale-  lindale in a very close game. This is a big game for playoff seeding

Marshall Vs. Hallsville-  Marshall by 17. It's a rivalry. But the Bobcats won't be able to run with the Mavs

Whitehouse Vs. Jacksonville- Whitehouse Jacksonville appears to be struggling

Pine Tree Vs. Mount Pleasant-  PT Pirates will be too much on offense. Not sure how good MP is on offense, but it wont be good enough to keep up with PT

Ennis Vs. Royse City- Ennis this should be a good game. Going with Ennis just because of their history. Would be cool to see RC do well though

North Forney Vs. Greenville-  Greenville

Terrell Vs. Corsicana- corsicana by a lot

Sulphur Springs Vs. Forney-   these are 2 bad teams. I'll take SS, but wont be surprised to see Forney win

Kaufman- BYE and they need it. Kaufman isn't too far removed from a quarterfinal run in 4A.. how do their younger levels look?

43 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Lufkin Vs. Magnolia-  LP.... because they just don't seem to lose district games.

Magnolia West Vs. Willis-  Going with West for no reason at all other than why not.

Caney Creek Vs. Tomball-  Another game I know nothing about.  The flipped coin says Tomball.

Waller Vs. College Station-  CS....BIG.  By as many as they want to score.

Lufkin @ Magnolia is a big district game.     This game could go either way depending on whether Lufkin Jekyll or Lufkin Hyde shows up.

Magnolia West over Willis is a good choice until Willis proves otherwise.   Willis is better than last year.

Caney Creek is not very good, Tomball  should be the favorite.

A CS win should be  automatic here.  Waller is playing teams closer this year but not this game.

If you weren't attending your game this week..... what game would you choose?

I'd probably take Royse City Vs. Ennis....just because it's a HUGE game and will probably bring a huge crowd.  Should be a fun atmosphere.  

But selfishly.... I'd probably take Nac Vs. Lindale..... because I'm curious to see how the Dragons match up with the Eagles since Nac is coming to town in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I'd probably take Royse City Vs. Ennis....just because it's a HUGE game and will probably bring a huge crowd.  Should be a fun atmosphere.  

But selfishly.... I'd probably take Nac Vs. Lindale..... because I'm curious to see how the Dragons match up with the Eagles since Nac is coming to town in a few weeks.

I’m gonna put more stock on Texas high and than most people because I’ve seen north in person against heath, and honestly Texas high will be the best defense they have seen so far. Cause all the teams they have played have been god awful. I mean they let freaking Justin northwest put 65 on them for crying out loud. Texas high even without its qb is enough to win that game, simply because that’s how bad north defense is from seeing it in person, it’s almost like they let the other team score just so they can get the ball back and score lol! 

51 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I’m gonna put more stock on Texas high and than most people because I’ve seen north in person against heath, and honestly Texas high will be the best defense they have seen so far. Cause all the teams they have played have been god awful. I mean they let freaking Justin northwest put 65 on them for crying out loud. Texas high even without its qb is enough to win that game, simply because that’s how bad north defense is from seeing it in person, it’s almost like they let the other team score just so they can get the ball back and score lol! 

Can Texas high beat them without their QB? 

49 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Can Texas high beat them without their QB? 

You can have a subpar offense and score on their defense. What has helping north is that they have been playing defenses worse than there’s. So it goes hand in hand in the game scores. Once they play a good defense it will be different. Not saying Texas high will be that team but there defense is capable at least 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Nac vs lindale for sure!!! Not sure what we are yet!!! Great second half against lee and elite performance against Jax!! We opened up the offense, defense played well and our guys are starting to believe! Can we start 2-0 and set up a great run to the playoffs??

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

hmmm. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread