2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

2 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

Lee dropping would help Tyler. All schools in east Texas be back together again, because of all the people that are moving to the big city for better jobs.

Back in the old district or 5A? The teams from the old district getting back together again will never happened. Two of those teams are D2 and Lufkin will go South or either play the College station/Bryan schools. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Back in the old district or 5A? The teams from the old district getting back together again will never happened. Two of those teams are D2 and Lufkin will go South or either play the College station/Bryan schools. 

12 5A was one my favorites. It was great when they lost Marshall and Nac and did Round Robin. You didn't know who was going to win. Reality you are correct it won't be the same.

3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

12 5A was one my favorites. It was great when they lost Marshall and Nac and did Round Robin. You didn't know who was going to win. Reality you are correct it won't be the same.

It wasn’t great lol. Lufkin had some very good seasons during those two (I think) seasons. I only remember us losing to REL in district those seasons. But i think everyone in the district hated it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I wasn’t great lol. Lufkin had some very good seasons during those two (I think) seasons. I only remember us losing to REL in district those seasons. But i think everyone in the district hated it. 

Literally everyone. Those teams beat up on each other so much, especially in 2003. 

Longview, Lee and Lufkin were all top 5 going into district. By the end of it, I know we were just completely destroyed.

Wouldve been interesting to see what would’ve happened if Rockwall and DeSoto didn’t fight that battle (and win).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Literally everyone. Those teams beat up on each other so much, especially in 2003. 

Longview, Lee and Lufkin were all top 5 going into district. By the end of it, I know we were just completely destroyed.

Wouldve been interesting to see what would’ve happened if Rockwall and DeSoto didn’t fight that battle (and win).

Definitely...it took a lot out of everyone. 

I still wonder who would’ve made the playoffs if those teams were in that district. 

7 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Definitely...it took a lot out of everyone. 

I still wonder who would’ve made the playoffs if those teams were in that district. 

I think it would’ve been the same honestly.

DeSoto got absolutely thrashed in 02 by Garland, a team Longview beat 45-0. Maybe would’ve been closer in 03, but I still think Longview would’ve gotten in.

Rockwall wouldn’t of even been a factor, they only won 4 games combined those two years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think it would’ve been the same honestly.

DeSoto got absolutely thrashed in 02 by Garland, a team Longview beat 45-0. Maybe would’ve been closer in 03, but I still think Longview would’ve gotten in.

Rockwall wouldn’t of even been a factor, they only won 4 games combined those two years.

Rockwall turned the corner when Webb got there...still a lot to be done there but he is a really good coach and has made Rockwall relevant again, minus last week obviously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Just back to 5a

On 9/28/2019 at 3:33 PM, Mavchamp said:

Week 6 5A games:

North Forney Vs. Greenville-  Come on Greenville.  Prove me right.

Your faith was rewarded. Greenville outscored North Forney 21-3 in the fourth quarter to come from down double-digits to win 49-38! The Lions are now 3-2! And 2-1 in district!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Greenville said:

Your faith was rewarded. Greenville outscored North Forney 21-3 in the fourth quarter to come from down double-digits to win 49-38! The Lions are now 3-2! And 2-1 in district!

Would love to see the Lions make the post season!   

8-5A Div II
Ennis over RC 38-21
Corsicana over Terrell 42-7
Greenville over North Forney 49-38
Sul Springs over Forney 32-13
Kaufman- BYE

STANDINGS
Ennis (4-0) (5-1)
Corsicana (4-0) (5-1)
Royse City (2-1) (4-1)
Greenville (2-1) (3-2)
North Forney (1-3) (3-3)
Forney (1-3) (2-4)
Terrell (1-3) (1-5)
Sulphur Springs (1-2) (1-4)
Kaufman (0-3) (0-5)

It appears the district championship will be decided on November 1st when Ennis travels to Corsicana.  Royse City was knocked out of the unbeaten ranks with their loss to Ennis on Friday.  Meanwhile the Lions remain tied with Corsicana for first place with the Tiger's win over Terrell.  Greenville moved into a tie for third with their win over North Forney  Three teams currently have one district win.  Big showdown between Greenville and RC in two weeks for third place.  Turning out to be a fun race.

----------

9-5A DIV II
Marshall over Hallsville 47-15
Pine Tree over MP 56-25
Lindale over Nac 37-10
Whitehouse over Jacksonville 25-13

Standings
Pine Tree (2-0) (3-2)
Whitehouse (2-0) (3-2)
Marshall (2-0) (2-3)
Lindale (1-1) (3-2)
Nacogdoches (1-1) (1-4)
Hallsville (0-2) (2-3)
Mt. Pleasant (0-2) (2-3)
Jacksonville (0-2) (1-4)

Lindale's win over Nac was the most unexpected outcome on the night.  The Eagles asserted themselves in the middle of the district title race with the victory.  Pine Tree's offense continues to hum along.  Marshall's offense appears to be coming around nicely.  Hallsville, MP, and Jax are starting to get behind the 8-ball for the playoffs..... wins are needed.  

---------

7-5A Div I
McKinney North beat Texas High 62-41
John Tyler beat Wylie East 48-7
Mesquite Poteet beat Sherman 44-21
West Mesquite- OFF

Standings
McKinney North (2-0) (5-1)
John Tyler (2-0) (2-4)
West Mesquite (1-0) (1-4)
Mesquite Poteet (1-0) (2-3)
Texas High (0-2) (3-3)
Sherman (0-2) (3-2)
Wylie East (0-2) (2-4)

McKinney North and John Tyler both got big wins Friday to improve to (2-0).  But West Mesquite and Poteet can't be ignored as both are (1-0).  MN and JT face off in 2 weeks.... but the Lions can't overlook WM even though they are (1-4).  Texas High, Sherman, and Wylie East are all winless and in desperate need of a win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

----------

8-5A DIv II
Lufkin beat Magnolia 24-18
College Station beat Waller 38-7
Tomball beat Caney Creek 41-19
Magnolia West over Willis 54-30

Standings
College Station (2-0) (4-1)
Lufkin (2-0) (4-1)
Magnolia West (2-0) (3-2)
Magnolia (1-1) (3-2)
Tomball (1-1) (2-3)
WIllis (0-2) (1-4)
Caney Creek (0-2) (1-4)
Waller (0-2) (0-4)

College Station continues to roll with a big win over winless Waller.   Lufkin slipped passed a pesky Magnolia team.  LP hosts College Station next week in what could be for the district championship.  Magnolia West can't be ignored.  

----------------

Miss anything? 

I'll post the Week 7 schedule later today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real Mavfan said:

I thought Lindale would beat Nac. But the score was probably indicitive of Nac having a bad game also. I dont see anybody in this district beating Lindale. They have a hoss of a rb, an efficient qb, play disciplined tough football and are coached extremely well. I dont think Marshall will lose in district play as they just have too many athletes and weapons on both sides of the ball. So in my opinion the race is for the 3rd and 4th playoff spots between Nac, PT and Whitehouse.

Yeah We had a bad day offensively but Lindale was good they are very well coached.

That PT passing attack is too good to chalk up an easy win for anyone.  JMHO. 

Lindale and Marshall Will have to earn wins over the Pirates. 

Week 11 at Maverick Stadium could Very well be for the district championship. 

Wonder if PT would bring the house and sell out their side.  NEVER seen PT do anything like that.  But a short drive road game for the DC might do it. 

But first.... we gotta take care of MP, win at the Tomato Bowl, beat Nac, and win at WH. 

We can’t overlook anyone  

• Like 2

Week 7 games for East Texas 5A
West Mesquite Vs. John Tyler
Wylie East Vs. McKinney North
Texas High Vs. Mesquite Poteet
Sherman- BYE
College Station Vs. Lufkin
Magnolia Vs. Willis
Tomball Vs. Waller
Magnolia West Vs. Caney Creek
Mt. Pleasant Vs. Marshall
Hallsville Vs. Lindale
Jacksonville Vs. Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs. Whitehouse
Corsicana Vs. Royse City
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs
Kaufman Vs. North Forney
Greenville Vs. Terrell
Forney- BYE

College Station Vs. Lufkin is HUUUUUGE.  Likely for the district championship.  LP fans are antsy after their 24-18 win over Magnolia last night.  CS has been a machine.  This should be a great game.

Texas High Vs. Mesquite Poteet- This is really a MUST-WIN for the Tigers to remain in the playoff talk.  Poteet is hard to gauge.  Which Poteet team will show up?

Nacogdoches Vs. Whitehouse- Too early to call for a MUST-WIN for Nac?  WH looking to remain unbeaten with Marshall and PT.  A Nac loss with Marshall up next and PT remaining could make things tough for the Dragons.

Corsicana Vs. Royse City-  Corsi looking to their showdown with Ennis for the District title.  RC is coming off their loss to Ennis..... big game.  Corsi win sets up the battle with Ennis.... an RC win makes the race a whole lot more interesting.

Greenville Vs. Terrell- Very winnable game for the Lions.... and a win gets them one step closer to the playoffs for the first time since...???  Who remembers?

Lots of good games out there.  These are just a few of the highlight games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

That Nac vs Whitehouse game is HUGE toward a playoff spot!

AGREED!!!

If WH wins and Marshal and PT take care of business they will all be (3-0).... that sets up some HUGE games between those three in the final weeks.  Get your popcorn ready.

A Nac loss puts them behind the 8-ball.  They would be (1-2) with Marshall and PT remaining on their schedule.

BUTTTT

A Nac win keeps things interesting not only for the district title...but for the 2 and 3 slots too.

It's definitely the game of the week for 9-5A.

But that LP/CS game is probably going to be EPIC.

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

AGREED!!!

If WH wins and Marshal and PT take care of business they will all be (3-0).... that sets up some HUGE games between those three in the final weeks.  Get your popcorn ready.

A Nac loss puts them behind the 8-ball.  They would be (1-2) with Marshall and PT remaining on their schedule.

BUTTTT

A Nac win keeps things interesting not only for the district title...but for the 2 and 3 slots too.

It's definitely the game of the week for 9-5A.

But that LP/CS game is probably going to be EPIC.

This crazy season. I just hope we can pull it out. 

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

This crazy season. I just hope we can pull it out. 

I haven't read y'all's board yet, I usually save that for Monday during lunch. But what the heck happened last night? My phone was screwing up so I wasn't getting a lot of the texts or I would've asked what on earth!

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I haven't read y'all's board yet, I usually save that for Monday during lunch. But what the heck happened last night? My phone was screwing up so I wasn't getting a lot of the texts or I would've asked what on earth!

Oline has been the main issue so far this season. We even had Rex come and try to help them. We’ve had a few injuries, but I’m not going to make excuses. Every single guy has struggled at some point and the basic spread scheme doesn’t help things. We just can’t run the ball. Main thing hurting this team right now imo. Defense and passing game has been good though. We just had a few injuries on defense last night, which probably led to those three scoring possessions for Magnolia. Because when Ingram (our linebacker) went out, the bulldogs were able to run on us. Before that....nothing. So fatigue and injuries probably hurt us on that side last night. 

Only a week to figure it out before CS comes to town. Hope we can figure out something. We’re still 4-1....I’ll take a ugly win any day of the week over a lost. Just want us to play better. 

• Like 2

The current playoff projections for 5A-D1 Region 2

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. SAMUELL

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. MESQUITE POTEET

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. JOHN TYLER VS T8. MAGNOLIA WEST

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. WEST MESQUITE

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

It's finally week 7. I think Lone Star proved this week with a 55-14 beatdown over Wakeland, they are still the top dog in 5A. Highland Park and the rest of district 6 was off. We do have a few big games this week in our region. In district 8, the district title may be on the line at Abe on Friday night between 4-1 (2-0) Lufkin and 4-1 (2-0) College station. The loser may also have to play Lone star in the second round. Speaking of Lone Star, they also have a big game with 5-0 Independence this week. Then we have Texas High going up against Mesquite Poteet in district 7. Should be a fun week! We'll definitely know more about the Pack after friday. Good luck to everyone!

7 hours ago, Pack007 said:

The current playoff projections for 5A-D1 Region 2

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. SAMUELL

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. MESQUITE POTEET

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. JOHN TYLER VS T8. MAGNOLIA WEST

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. WEST MESQUITE

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

It's finally week 7. I think Lone Star proved this week with a 55-14 beatdown over Wakeland, they are still the top dog in 5A. Highland Park and the rest of district 6 was off. We do have a few big games this week in our region. In district 8, the district title may be on the line at Abe on Friday night between 4-1 (2-0) Lufkin and 4-1 (2-0) College station. The loser may also have to play Lone star in the second round. Speaking of Lone Star, they also have a big game with 5-0 Independence this week. Then we have Texas High going up against Mesquite Poteet in district 7. Should be a fun week! We'll definitely know more about the Pack after friday. Good luck to everyone!

That is death row on the top half of region 2 🤦🏽‍♂️

44 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

That is death row on the top half of region 2 🤦🏽‍♂️

Yep..the lower part isn’t easy either. Lancaster i think will prove how good they are against HP. Not calling a win, but close game. They also had a close game with the top team in 6A. Dangerous 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread