2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

10-5A looks like a beast....and that's who we will be facing in the first round.

THREE teams are 5-0, and Huntsville may be the best 3-2 team in the state.

Here is how I'm PREDICTING that district will finish:
1.  AMC
2.  Huntsville
3.  Lamar Cosol
4.  Katy Pat/Bryan Rudder

And 9-5A
1.  Marshall
2.  Pine Tree
3.  Lindale
4.  Whitehouse

Which would make for a first round like this.....

Katy Pat/Bryan Rudder @ Marshall
Lamar Consolidated @ Pine Tree
Whitehouse @ A&M Consolidated
Lindale @ Huntsville 

PT/Marshall could flip positions.  Lindale could squeeze in there too.  But it gives an idea.

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

10-5A looks like a beast....and that's who we will be facing in the first round.

Honestly assessment...do you see a single 9-5A winning a game in round 1?

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Right now?

No.

I was sitting here, looking at those match ups TRYING to find a saving grace for one team, and I just can't. The only advantage I think is having one of those teams come into Marshall...

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Honestly assessment...do you see a single 9-5A winning a game in round 1?

I'll amend....
Lamar and Katy are the wildcards TBH.

Last year Lamar was (7-3) when they came to Marshall and they were awful.  
I don't think Montgomery was very good either when they lost to Lindale.

But I don't see anyone beating AMC or Huntsville for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Yep..the lower part isn’t easy either. Lancaster i think will prove how good they are against HP. Not calling a win, but close game. They also had a close game with the top team in 6A. Dangerous 

The thing that always been Lancaster problem is they can never win the big games. The mental toughness is not but they always have the talent. But if they beat highland park then our first and second place teams are in trouble either way in the playoffs lol. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I was sitting here, looking at those match ups TRYING to find a saving grace for one team, and I just can't. The only advantage I think is having one of those teams come into Marshall...

Lamar Consolidated's Road to 5-0:
FB Clemens 38-15... they are (1-4)
Brazoswood 52-6... they are (0-5)
Rosenberg Terry 56-28... they are (1-3)
Lake Creek 45-16... they are (2-3)
Bryan Rudder 45-16... they are (3-2)

It's pretty similar to last season.  They won all their non-district games.  But will lose to AMC and Huntsville....maybe one more.  They have only beaten one team with a winning record.  Pretty much a carbon copy of last season.  Honestly....last season.... I think any of our playoff teams would have beaten them.  Tough call.... 5-0 is 5-0.  But their opponents are a combined (7-17).

Katy Pat's Road to (5-0)
Stafford 35-7... they are (1-4)
Northbrook 64-0... they are (0-6)
FB Clemens 48-7... they are (1-4)
Cleveland 70-6... they are (0-5)
Lake Creek 61-6... they are (2-3)

Lots of blowouts...but those records are UGLY.  I'm guessing they will lose to AMC, Huntsville, maybe Lamar Consol.... Rudder is a possibility.  Opponents are are combined (4-22).  Hard to know how good or bad this 5-0 team really is.  

Won't even bother with AMC or Huntsville.  I think everyone knows they are the real deal.... don't see anyone beating them in the first round.

So yeah.... I think whoever gets the #1 and #2 slots in 9-5A will have a chance to snatch a first round game.  Doesn't mean they WILL.  But there is a chance.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

So yeah.... I think whoever gets the #1 and #2 slots in 9-5A will have a chance to snatch a first round game.  Doesn't mean they WILL.  But there is a chance.  

Always best to look at the full schedule. That explains a lot. But then again, they've both completely blown out every single one of the teams in front of them. Paetow's resume is a little more impressive, only because they actually haven't had to even sweat anything yet, even if all 5 of those teams are extremely, extremely bad. 

Interesting for sure! 

• Like 1

At the end of the day.... IMHO..... no one in 9-5A is good enough to overlook any team.  No matter what their record is.

At least not from what I've seen thus far this season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Here is how I'm PREDICTING that district will finish:
1.  AMC
2.  Huntsville
3.  Lamar Cosol
4.  Katy Pat/Bryan Rudder

And 9-5A
1.  Marshall
2.  Pine Tree
3.  Lindale
4.  Whitehouse

Which would make for a first round like this.....

Katy Pat/Bryan Rudder @ Marshall
Lamar Consolidated @ Pine Tree
Whitehouse @ A&M Consolidated
Lindale @ Huntsville 

PT/Marshall could flip positions.  Lindale could squeeze in there too.  But it gives an idea.

I have a cousin at the Katy school. They are pretty good too. He was a back for Katy before going there. 

26 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

The thing that always been Lancaster problem is they can never win the big games. The mental toughness is not but they always have the talent. But if they beat highland park then our first and second place teams are in trouble either way in the playoffs lol. 

Yea...if they beat HP. Goodness...

West Mesquite Vs. John Tyler- Lions should win comfortably 
Wylie East Vs. McKinney North - North is eyeballing the district championship it appears.
Texas High Vs. Mesquite Poteet- Gonna pick THS one more time. 
Sherman- BYE
College Station Vs. Lufkin- Hoping for an LP win.  But CS has been a machine.  
Magnolia Vs. Willis- Willis is terrible.
Tomball Vs. Waller- Waller is terrible.
Magnolia West Vs. Caney Creek- I know nothing of these teams TBH
Mt. Pleasant Vs. Marshall-  Mavs should take care of business this week.  Comfortable win.
Hallsville Vs. Lindale- Eagles are looking pretty dang good it seems.
Jacksonville Vs. Pine Tree- PT wins BIG.  Yeah.  I said it.
Nacogdoches Vs. Whitehouse-  Total toss up.  But WH isn't the easiest place to get a win.
Corsicana Vs. Royse City- Corsi ready for another district title
Ennis Vs. Sulphur Springs- Ennis wanting to crash Corsi's party
Kaufman Vs. North Forney- NF should win easy.
Greenville Vs. Terrell- Come on lions.... break that playoff drought! 
Forney- BYE

• Like 1

I'd be a little surprised if PT gets 2nd place by beating Lindale. I think itll be a high scoring game but Lindale is playing tough right now. Marshall is improving every week,and has a chance to be back playing at a high level by time playoffs roll around. 

9 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I totally agree with this. Lancaster is low key VERY TALENTED. Their only issue is mental discipline. They can be psyched out. 

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

College station has been a machine against who? Huntsville didn’t have their Qb. 

Was more of a comment about the amount of points they are scoring per game. 

I didn’t know Huntsville’s QB was out for their game.   That’s a game changer.

Isn't Foster 4-1?

seems like they picked up where they left off last season.   That’s all. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Was more of a comment about the amount of points they are scoring per game. 

I didn’t know Huntsville’s QB was out for their game.   That’s a game changer.

Isn't Foster 4-1?

seems like they picked up where they left off last season.   That’s all. 

Yea, Foster is 4-1. They won that game against CS 52-14 i think. Definitely not comparing them to us though. We have issues on offense right now.

I still think we’re better than CS. A lot of people on here picked them to win that game last year too. I just think we have more speed and talent. It definitely showed last season..

39 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, Foster is 4-1. They won that game against CS 52-14 i think. Definitely not comparing them to us though. We have issues on offense right now.

I still think we’re better than CS. A lot of people on here picked them to win that game last year too. I just think we have more speed and talent. It definitely showed last season..

Like I said.  I’m pulling for LP. 

Wouldn’t  be shocked if the the Panthers won. ESP with it being at Abe.

But seeing the meltdown on y’all’s board from Friday....coupled with seeing CS’s scores.... didn’t seem like a long reach to pick them.

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Like I said.  I’m pulling for LP. 

Wouldn’t  be shocked if the the Panthers won. ESP with it being at Abe.

But seeing the meltdown on y’all’s board from Friday....coupled with seeing CS’s scores.... didn’t seem like a long reach to pick them.

CS has played the worst teams in the district so far and a school from Mexico. I can’t give them a lot of credit for winning at home against Huntsville with Southern out too. Maybe I’m wrong, but i wouldn’t put much stock in those scores. Both teams though will have something to prove on Friday. Not sure how good this Pack team is either. 

The meltdown occurred after a win, which is the crazy part. The team has problems, that’s clear lol.....but they are still 4-1. If they win against CS Friday though, you’ll still see a person run on there saying we didn’t score enough and we can’t beat LS or HP because they scored more that week. But it is what it is. I want us to go 10-0 and be great every year too. I have just learned that you can’t judge this particular team based on past results and try to compare them to the top teams in the state, at least not right now. This isn’t the 2018 team that was coming off a 4th round run and returning some talented kids. A team that if they could put it all together, could dominate most of 5A. This team is different and trying to figure out their identity, among other things. It’s more than just an oline issue. And people that actually attend the games would see that. Can’t judge them the same way as the last two teams. Nothing wrong with still supporting this team....had a great chance at being 5-0. 

WIll be raining until late afternoon Friday.  Will be clear by game time....but it's going to be chilly.  Will be in the mid 50's by kickoff.  Upper 40's by 10.

Heatwave last week.... icicles this week.  Gotta love Texas weather.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread