2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

18 hours ago, stevenbugkiller said:

This is a very accurate analysis. The Poteet teams offense is no where near as potent as last year.  Especially the passing game.  Last years team was on a whole different level offensively.  It just wasnt in the cards last year.  Defensively Poteet is similar to last year.  JT seems to be in the same boat as Poteet this year.  JT was much, much better offensively last year.  If JT can load the box, and cover one reciever, mixed with pressuring the QB they can win easily. (against Poteet) This is barring any unforseen turnovers, fumbles, crazy scenarios.  (VS Mckinney) Mckinney will score with fast paced offense, but a few stops by a defense can change the outcome easily.

Exactly. +1 Honestly if you can get in front of McKinney on the board and stay in front you’ll be fine. All you need is ONE STOP @cujoforlife knows what I mean from the West game. 😂 and you can win against them lol. But in all seriousness the receiver I’m worried about to north is #2  dude has SERIOUS footwork and puts DB’s on skates lol 😂. #12 for them has really good hands and catch balls in traffic, I’m suprised he hasn’t gotten hurt yet from being so little though lol. But a message to COACH HOLMES, please coach don’t fall for the play action go route that they run Like 20 times lol or the bubble screens for number 12 and lord please man on third down can someone find the big tight end on third down, I mean they literally threw to him on almost every 3rd and long I mean he’s not hard to find, the dude is like 6’5 lol. Lastly  please don’t over pursue the ball carrier 90 percent of the #6 rushing yard were from over pursing him on runs. 

33 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Coach Griedl said on the radio coach's show that he thinks this was the last year for Marshall to play Longview. It doesnt benefit either team and it isnt much of a rivalry game anymore.

I wish The Lufkin and Nac coaches would agree to do the same. 

1 hour ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Coach Griedl said on the radio coach's show that he thinks this was the last year for Marshall to play Longview. It doesnt benefit either team and it isnt much of a rivalry game anymore.

I heard he said that.... I'm interested to see what the "powers that be" think about it.

My thoughts on it are well documented.

I'd rather see a knock-down-drag-out battle with a well respected 5A team every year than an annual beatdown.  I don't want a cupcake game to take its place.... NOT SAYING THAT AT ALL.  But I think a competitive game (win OR lose) does a lot more good than a 40-50 point beat down.  

Maybe one day we will elevate to a level where it will be competitive again......  or maybe one day Longview will return to Earth a little bit where it will be competitive again.  But until that day..... I say let's go find some Aledos and some Huntsville's and some Manvels to play for non-district.

JMHO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I heard he said that.... I'm interested to see what the "powers that be" think about it.

My thoughts on it are well documented.

I'd rather see a knock-down-drag-out battle with a well respected 5A team every year than an annual beatdown.  I don't want a cupcake game to take its place.... NOT SAYING THAT AT ALL.  But I think a competitive game (win OR lose) does a lot more good than a 40-50 point beat down.  

Maybe one day we will elevate to a level where it will be competitive again......  or maybe one day Longview will return to Earth a little bit where it will be competitive again.  But until that day..... I say let's go find some Aledos and some Huntsville's and some Manvels to play for non-district.

JMHO.

What would your dream preseason schedule be? Mines would be Denton Ryan, Lee, aledo, and a frisco  school. 

55 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I wish The Lufkin and Nac coaches would agree to do the same. 

I'd like to think a Marshall-Lufkin series would be fun and competitive...... it could be a fun rivalry.

But given how well LP plays Longview annually.... and how poorly we've played against them annually.... LP may be just another beatdown waiting to happen. 

A beatdown 15 miles away sounds a lot better than a beatdown 90 miles away... lmao.  IJS.

But if it were to be competitive.... I'd be all for it...but we haven't played them since 2003.  So who knows.

If Texas High were at their normal strength... I'd love to see a series with them.  Outside of those two... not much to pick from in East Texas for 5A.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

What would your dream preseason schedule be? Mines would be Denton Ryan, Lee, aledo, and a frisco  school. 

Pie in the Sky:  Aledo, A&M Consolidated, Huntsville (HP maybe?)

More practical:  Lufkin, Carthage, Lancaster (or Texas High if they were back to old THS self)

I'd keep the Carthage game because:
1.  Guaranteed huge big crowd/sell out most seasons
2.  Close proximity... so a potential huge annual non-district rivalry.
3.  All that red and white on the field would warm any heart. 

3 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I’m not gonna lie I would rather play a Mansfield school or a Lancaster or even go back to Shreveport and switch out the Longview game. 

Why do you want to switch out a game when JT just beat them 3 times in the past 9 yrs

Yea the last 2 games have been blowouts, but lets not act like JT hasn't had a few decisive victories against them as well. 

What JT is seeing against LV is what they faced against JT in the 90s and early 2000s....very deep and talented groups, that might be the best teams to come through the programs. 

It would be foolish for JT to stop playing them. A good team within an hr drive that will bring tons of revenue and most of the time, provide a good measuring stick for the team.

No reason to play in Shreveport unless JT has no choice, and JT could still play Longview and schedule Mansfield or Lancanster. But keep in mind, you probably don't want to schedule a team that you could meet in the first or second round of the playoffs, so Lancaster might not be a good idea.

I have no problem with the current schedule. It only looks bad because this is probably the weakest team JT has had in the past decade given the fact JT had to replace so many people on offense. But I think things will improve for JT over the next couple of yrs as it looks like alot of talent is coming up.

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

some of those schools would have probably beat us by 30 this yr too. Why spend a ton of money to travel and get blown out when you can do it close to home...lol

It’s all a dream from my side....Lufkin and Nac will always play unless something happens like in 08 with that hurricane. I’m pretty sure Quick already has them on the schedule. I don’t understand it. The game doesn’t help either team, especially not us. And its definitely not a rivalry. Don’t care who calls it that. We aren’t rivals. 

I would like to play the Mavs. Just to see how it goes. They are much better than Nac. If not them....Huntsville or A&M Consolidated if we don’t get placed into a district with them. I love playing Westfield. It’s always a great game or Atascocita. If not those teams, then New Caney, WB or PAM.

You have several spread teams and then a team like Longview on the schedule that’s going to pound you with the running game in week 2 or 3. That should help you better prepare for district and the playoffs. Talent/great athletes, good coaching, different schemes and tough environments if we travel to Longview like expected. That would be a very good non district schedule for the Pack. 

4 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I’m not gonna lie I would rather play a Mansfield school or a Lancaster or even go back to Shreveport and switch out the Longview game. 

You would still play Lancaster if there was a chance y’all would play in the 2nd round next season? I wouldn’t want to play a team i could see in the first or second round. 

Definitely don’t want anything to do with Shreveport. I’ll play those Louisiana boys in Tyler.....maybe even Longview. Not Shreveport under those bayou rules 

Just now, Pack007 said:

You would still play Lancaster if there was a chance y’all would play in the 2nd round next season? I wouldn’t want to play a team i could see in the first or second round. 

True

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

But would like to get a B.O.B. in doing  preseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Definitely don’t want anything to do with Shreveport. I’ll play those Louisiana boys in Tyler.....maybe even Longview. Not Shreveport under those bayou rules 

Yea that’s true we probably would be playing them again in the second round. Well I would like too add a frisco school instead of Longview 

18 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Please yes!!

• LOL! 2

13 hours ago, Pack007 said:

It’s all a dream from my side....Lufkin and Nac will always play unless something happens like in 08 with that hurricane. I’m pretty sure Quick already has them on the schedule. I don’t understand it. The game doesn’t help either team, especially not us. And its definitely not a rivalry. Don’t care who calls it that. We aren’t rivals. 

I would like to play the Mavs. Just to see how it goes. They are much better than Nac. If not them....Huntsville or A&M Consolidated if we don’t get placed into a district with them. I love playing Westfield. It’s always a great game or Atascocita. If not those teams, then New Caney, WB or PAM.

You have several spread teams and then a team like Longview on the schedule that’s going to pound you with the running game in week 2 or 3. That should help you better prepare for district and the playoffs. Talent/great athletes, good coaching, different schemes and tough environments if we travel to Longview like expected. That would be a very good non district schedule for the Pack. 

I agree and we have had this conversation a bunch! This game is being played because of the “tradition” people on both sides. I hate it!! Why keep a tradition that has you losing or winning a game by 40 points and serves no purpose!! Cutting football ties would have traditionalist yelling for the first year but it would pass quickly!!

lets start the movement!! Kill this game!!:)

• Like 1

Interesting question......It has been brought up on another site by a PT fan.

Which is the worse loss.....

Marshall's beatdown received from Longview 53-0

OR

Pine Tree's loss to Pittsburgh 42-30?

Obviously one was a close game.... and one was a skull dragging. 

PT's loss is to a current 4A-D2 team that is (3-4).  

Marshall's loss was to the defending state champs who haven't lost since the pleistocene era  

No such thing as a "good loss" IMHO.

But it's an interesting thought.  FWIW.... PT lost to Pirr the same night Marshall lost to Longview.  Obviously we've both improved since week 2.  Taking that into account.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Interesting question......It has been brought up on another site by a PT fan.

Which is the worse loss.....

Marshall's beatdown received from Longview 53-0

OR

Pine Tree's loss to Pittsburgh 42-30?

Obviously one was a close game.... and one was a skull dragging. 

PT's loss is to a current 4A-D2 team that is (3-4).  

Marshall's loss was to the defending state champs who haven't lost since the pleistocene era  

No such thing as a "good loss" IMHO.

But it's an interesting thought.  FWIW.... PT lost to Pirr the same night Marshall lost to Longview.  Obviously we've both improved since week 2.  Taking that into account.

Thoughts?

given the fact that the 6a defending championship team is beating everyone by 30+  vs  an average 4a Div.2 team that is (3-4).......  I think its pretty easy.

16 minutes ago, The Real Mavfan said:

You cant forget that was the first game without JJ so we had to plug in a rb at qb and had zero threat to pass. Not to mention it was 0-0 after the 1st qtr.

No doubt we were disadvantaged with the QB situation  

But the only reason it was 0-0 was because we were playing keep away from the Lobos.  Didn’t they only have one possession in the first quarter?

That strategy didn’t work long before the onslaught came on. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread