2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

3 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

if anyone cares volleyball season is down to their last game.

Hallsville is going to take the district championship and the playoff field is set.

Hallsville 29-12 (12-1)*

Whitehouse 31-10 (11-2)*

John Tyler 32-12(10-3)*

Pine Tree 15-23 (6-7)*-Holds all the tiebreakers vs Marshall and Lufkin

Lufkin 15-21 (6-7)

Marshall 18-19 (5-8)

Jacksonville 4-23 (2-11)

Nac 3-25 (0-13)

Great job JT girls 

East Texas 5A Week 9 Update.  RED INDICATES TEAM HAS CLINCHED A PLAYOFF SPOT

8-5A Div II Scores
Greenville beat Sulphur Springs 25-13
Corsicana beat Forney 7-0
Royse City beat Kaufman 47-7
North Forney beat Terrell 50-28
Ennis- OFF

Standings
Ennis (6-0) (7-1)
Corsicana (6-1) (7-2)
Royse City (5-1) (7-1)

Greenville (4-2) (5-3)
North Forney (3-3)(5-3)
Sulphur Springs (1-5) (1-7)
Forney (1-5) (2-6)
Terrell (1-5) (1-7)
Kaufman (1-6) (1-8)

Ennis remains in first place, but Corsicana is waiting to pounce in their upcoming rumble.  Royse City is in good position for a playoff berth, while Greenville is on the verge of breaking a near 20 year playoff drought.

Ennis and Corsicana will tangle for the district championship this coming Friday.  The Lions have looked solid of late, while Corsicana surprisingly struggled with Forney this week.

Royse City is lurking.... waiting for one of the top two to slip up so they can steal away a homefield advantage for the playoffs. And Greenville needs just one more win to end their suffering.  It could comet this week as they face a (2-6) Forney team.

----------

9-5A Div II Scores
Whitehouse beat Pine Tree 50-36
Marshall beat Nacogdoches 44-20
Lindale beat Mount Pleasant 41-28
Jacksonville beat Hallsville 29-15

Standings
Whitehouse (5-0) (6-2)
Marshall (5-0) (5-3)
Pine Tree (4-1) (5-3)

Lindale (3-2) (5-3)
Mount Pleasant (1-4) (3-5)
Nacogdoches (1-4) (1-7)
Jacksonville (1-4) (2.6)
Hallsville (0-4) (2-5)

The four playoff teams have been determined.  That's about all we know.

Whitehouse got a HUGE road win at Pine Tree to knock the Pirates out of the three-way tie for first place in the district.  PT drops to third place, which currently means they will be on the road for the first round of the playoffs.  Marshall had to fight off a pesky Nac team to remain tied for first place with the Wildcats.  Nacogdoches saw their playoff hopes end.  Lindale got a big win to stay in the race, while Jacksonville beat Hallsville to stay out of the district cellar.

Two critical games this coming week.  Marshall will be on the road at Whitehouse; the winner will claim no less than a tie for the district championship.  Meanwhile... Pine Tree and Lindale will be battling out a crucial game for playoff seeding.  If Lindale were to beat PT.... the winner of the WH/Marshall game would clinch the district championship.

---------- 

7-5A Div I Scores
Mckinney North beat John Tyler 36-28
West Mesquite beat Mesquite Poteet 31-17
Sherman beat Wylie East 42-14
Texas High- OFF

Standings
McKinney North (5-0) (8-1)
John Tyler (3-1) (3-5)
Mesquite Poteet (3-1) (4-4)
West Mesquite (2-2) (2-6)
Texas High (1-3) (4-4)
Sherman (1-3) (4-4)
Wylie East (0-5) (2-7)

Week 9 produced some unexpected results by some prognosticator's standards.  McKinney North took sole possession of first place in the district with their win over John Tyler Thursday night.  But the biggest upset was West Mesquite's win over Poteet.  The victory catapulted the Wranglers into the 4th place slot and moved Idle Texas High into fifth place.  Sherman beat WE to keep their SLIM playoff hopes alive.

John Tyler will host Poteet in a HUGE game this week.  The winner will set themselves up to host a first round playoff game, while the loser could potentially have to travel for their playoff game.  Texas High will need a win over Sherman to keep pace with West Mesquite, who will be hosting Sherman.

Going to be a great race to the finish

----------

8-5A Div I Scores
Lufkin beat Magnolia West 52-7
College Station beat WIllis 55-28
Magnolia beat Tomball 55-28
Caney Creek beat Waller 41-40

Standings
Lufkin (5-0) (7-1)
Magnolia West (4-1) (5-3)
College Station (4-1) (6-2)
Magnolia (3-2) (5-3)
Tomball (2-3) (3-5)
WIllis (1-4) (2-6)
Caney Creek (1-4) (2-6)
Waller (0-5) (0-7)

Lufkin now has sole possession of first place with their dominating win over Magnolia West.  The Panthers are now in position to claim yet another district championship, but also host a home playoff game.  Mag West and College Station are on a collision course for a HUGE week 11 game that will likely determine who will host a first round game, and who will have to hit the road for a playoff game.  Magnolia beat Tomball to take sole possession of the fourth and final playoff slot with just two games to go.

---------------------------------------------
PLAYOFF WATCH

West Mesquite/Texas High Vs. Lufkin
Magnolia Vs. McKinney North
John Tyler/Mesquite Poteet Vs. College Station/Magnolia West
College Station/Magnolia West Vs. John Tyler/Mesquite Poteet

Obviously there are still some variables involved in the next two weeks that could completely change ALL this. 

How West Mesquite and Texas High finish in the final two weeks will determine who Lufkin will host.  Magnolia and McKinney North seem to be a lock unless MN slips in the final two weeks.

-------

Huntsville/Lamar Consolidated Vs. Marshall/Whitehouse
Lamar Consolidated/Huntsville Vs. Marshall/Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Katy Paetow
Lindale Vs. A&M Consolidated

This playoff scenario is still VERY cloudy.  The winner of the WH/Marshall game will likely host either Lamar Consolidated or Huntsville.  Those two play in week 11.  Marshall still has PT in week 11... so the Pirates cannot be ruled out to take that home playoff game UNLESS Lindale beats them this coming week.  If the Eagles beat PT..... Marshall and WH will definately be hosting playoff games.  Just a matter of who will be #1 and who will be #2.  But if PT beats Lindale.... then the Pirates still have a chance of hosting a playoff game with a win over Marshall in week 11.  Lamar Consolidated and Huntsville are currently tied for third place.   If Lamar were to upset Katy Paetow, it could make things even messier.  

WH/Marshall winner will likely host the loser of the Huntsville/Lamar Consolidated loser (unless LC upsets Katy Pat)
WH/Marshall loser will likely host the winner of the Huntsville/Lamar Consolidated winner (Unless LC upsets Katy Pat)
Pine Tree travels to Katy Pat (Unless Lamar Consol upsets KP, in which things get complicated)
Lindale Vs. A&M Consolidated

-------------

Ennis/Corsicana
Royse City
Greenville

I'll be honest with you.... determining these playoff matchups is a headache because District 7-5A currently has a FOUR way tie for first place between Denison, Frisco, Braswell, and Lovejoy.... all of whom are (5-1) in district play.  Frisco Reedy is lurking just one game behind.  

SO... tbh...who knows.  It's been too long since I took calculus to figure this out.  There are still too many possibilities to even attempt to list here.

If I had to guess..... the first round is going to look something like this:

Braswell/Lovejoy Vs. Ennis
Braswell/Lovejoy Vs. Corsicana
Royse City Vs. Frisco
Greenville Vs. Denison

-----------------

Let me know if you see any mistakes.... but I THINK I've covered all the bases.  Maybe.  Probably not.

• Like 1

The current playoff projections for 5A-D1 Region 2

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. MANS. LEGACY

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. JOHN TYLER

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. MESQUITE POTEET VS T8. MAGNOLIA WEST

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. WEST MESQUITE

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

It's finally week 10. After the win on Friday, the Pack clinched another playoff spot for the 22nd straight season I believe. In addition,  The Panthers all but secured another district title after the win on Friday with only 1-4 (2-6) Caney Creek and 0-5 (0-8) Waller remaining on the schedule. I think we still need one more win to secure homefield in the first round. As for district 7-5A, North with their win over JT gives them at least a share of the district crown with just one game remaining against Poteet. They'll have a bye this week. Poteet will travel to Rose stadium on Friday to take on the Cujo in what could be the game of the week in the region. If JT wins the next two games and Poteet defeats North, then JT and North will be tied for first place. The other huge game in region 2 will be the defending champs 5-0 (7-1) Highland Park traveling to Tiger stadium in Lancaster to take on the 5-0 (7-1) Lancaster Tigers for the district crown. Should be a fun week. 

Safe travels and good luck to everyone!

2 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

The current playoff projections for 5A-D1 Region 2

R7. MESQUITE POTEET VS T8. MAGNOLIA WEST

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. INDEPENDENCE 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. WEST MESQUITE

R5. THE COLONY VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

It's finally week 10. After the win on Friday, the Pack clinched another playoff spot for the 22nd straight season I believe. In addition,  The Panthers all but secured another district title after the win on Friday with only 1-4 (2-6) Caney Creek and 0-5 (0-8) Waller remaining on the schedule. I think we still need one more win to secure homefield in the first round. As for district 7-5A, North with their win over JT gives them at least a share of the district crown with just one game remaining against Poteet. They'll have a bye this week. Poteet will travel to Rose stadium on Friday to take on the Cujo in what could be the game of the week in the region. If JT wins the next two games and Poteet defeats North, all three teams will be tied for first place. The other huge game in region 2 will be the defending champs 5-0 (7-1) Highland Park traveling to Tiger stadium in Lancaster to take on the 5-0 (7-1) Lancaster Tigers for the district crown. Should be a fun week. 

Safe travels and good luck to everyone!

If poteet beats north and JT beats poteet only JT and north will share the crown because poteet would Then have two losses. 

Still two more weeks of play....but I've done some digging.

Marshall Varsity (5-0) in district play
Junior Varsity (4-0) in district play (Hallsville game Cx due to severe weather)
9th Grade A team (4-0) in district play (Hallsville game Cx)
9th Grade B team (2-0) in district play (Hallsville game Cx; Jax and MP didn't have B teams) 

(15-0) overall

JV has outscored the district 108-12
9th A has outscored the district 76-8
9th B has outscored the district 28-0
Total outscored: 212-20

All levels have Whitehouse and Pine Tree left.

The last time the Mavs swept the district at all levels was 2005 I believe.  

Winning at the varsity and 9th grade level isn't all that uncommon for Marshall.  Both have had their share of district titles through the years.

But a successful JV has been pretty rare for the program.  The best JV players generally end up on varsity.  JV has always struggled with a consistent roster because of varsity using it to patch up holes in it's lineup from injuries.   

This is a testament to the depth the program has built.  Started with Coach Harper, continued by his successor and now lead by Coach Griedl and staff.

Hope they can finish the job the next two weeks to earn the sweep. 

Future looks good.

Maverick Varsity is (5-0) in district play and has outscored opponents 235-104.

Maverick JV is (4-0) in district play and has outscored opponents 108-12.

Maverick 9th Grade A team is (4-0) in district play and has outscored opponents 76-8

Maverick 9th Grade B team is (2-0) in district play and has outscored opponents 28-0.

Thanks, guys. These kids have come a long way since 0-40. After that start to the decade, happy to see them end the 2010's on a strong note. Who empties the stands onto the field after a win to lock up fourth place? We do. :)

Also our first winning season since 2009.

• Like 3

9-5a 

1.Marshall

2.Whitehouse

3.Lindale

4.Pine Tree

While these 4 are set, 10-5a still has a lot scenarios that could change their playoff standings. Their #1 seed is all that is set as of now.

1.A&M Consolidated-6-0-plays Cleveland to end the season

2.Paetow-5-1-Plays Lamar Consolidated-Beat Huntsville by 11-clinched a playoff spot sits a +11-Can Still fall as far as 4

3.Hunstville-4-2-Plays Rudder-Lost to Paetow by 11, Beat Lamar Cons by 14 is +3-Can be 2,3,4 seed or eliminated

4.Lamar Consolidated-4-2-Plays Paetow is -14-Can be 2, 3, 4 seed or eliminated.

5.Bryan Rudder-3-3-Plays Huntsville-can only be the 4 seed

I started working on the scenarios and it is ridiculous how much can still happen with this district.

The most likely to happen is wins by Paetown and Huntsville and the top 4 would be set easy peasy.

5A-D1 REGION 2 CURRENT PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS: TEAMS THAT ARE LOCKED IN THEIR SEEDS ARE BOLD 

R7. MESQUITE POTEET VS T8. MAGNOLIA

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA WEST

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. THE COLONY

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. TEXAS HIGH

R5. INDEPENDENCE VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

My understanding from the Herald Democrat Sherman News....

JT is in the playoffs, but can drop to 4th place and play us if Sherman defeats them and WM beats Thigh. If Thigh wins against WM, Sherman in order to make the playoffs would need to win by 11 over JT. We could play West Mesquite, if they win against Thigh and JT of course defeats Sherman. WE could play Thigh if they beat WM and Sherman doesn't beat JT by at least 11. Again, my understanding lol. The Pack will have a home game regardless next week against whatever school travels to Abe. So, it could be JT, Sherman, Thigh or  WM. 

Good luck to everyone this week.....other than Waller lol

I’m pretty confident in predicting: 

Lamar Consolidated at Marshall

Huntsville at Whitehouse 

Lindale at Katy Paetow

Pine Tree at A&M Consolidated 

——-

sorry about the lack of updates this weekend. I’ve been moving! 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread